London Underground, not accessible enough

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

London Underground, not accessible enough

Postby mgwmgw » 29 Oct 2014, 23:25

mgwmgw

Location: North Billerica, Massachusetts 01862, U.S.A. (northwest of Boston)

Re: London Underground, not accessible enough

Postby scootntootn » 29 Oct 2014, 23:43

Uh oh! London isn't the only city with that problem..
scootntootn

Postby Burgerman » 30 Oct 2014, 04:49

Well the world wasn't built by, or for wheelchair users. Its getting better a bit at a time.

That guys fit and fast. For now. Lets see him do that in 10 years time when his shoulders have worn away and have serious issues from improper use. Like most manual chair users end up.

Or in the 9 months of winter we get. On filthy salt treated roads covered in a slimy black mix of diesel, rubber, salt, mashed leaves and dog shit and whatever else is in that muck...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby calabash » 30 Oct 2014, 10:03

Trains, busses, cannot get on most of them! The only line in London thats great for a wheelchair is DLR, straight on and off and if the station has not got a ramp (to leave the station) then there is a lift, super.

BUT.

I have a london hospital appointment for monday at 9am, to be there on time and fit enough to stand the tests we have to go up on sunday and stay in a hotel. Train to london then taxi's as the underground is just not possable, you might get on it (with a ramp) but no promise you will get off at your station or get out of it so it's a taxi all the time.

Bus, don't ask, one failed bus ride that was hell and never again, plus it does not help that they stopped me from driving, ah well, that's life.
It could always be worse,
calabash

Postby mous3 » 02 Nov 2014, 22:24

I hear you but the tube beats hospital transport for me Uxbridge to Euston square via kings cross as the lift is on the wrong side but my Stanmore appointments are impossible I have to have someone come to help me and that's even when we go by car
mous3

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 19 Nov 2014, 02:19

London was my home for 22 years, but as my MD progressed, less and less of my beloved city was accessible to me. I was fortunate to be able to move to California and start a new life. Being here has prolonged my independence by (conservatively) more than a decade. I'll be returning to London in December (for a visit) for the first time since 2006. It's going to be very interesting finding out how challenging the old town has become for me.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2014, 11:28

Well its not changed much since 2006.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 19 Nov 2014, 18:41

Burgerman wrote:Well its not changed much since 2006.

Sadly, I have. :(
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Sully » 03 Dec 2014, 16:24

You know guys most of this group don't particularly like to bitch about this stuff. But it will always be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. So bitching and complaining "LOUDLY" but rather politely is what has succeeded so far and more is still necessary.

This is like the guy who complained about not being able to get into his dentists office. It seemed everyone was interested in telling how ingenious they were to circumvent the difficut entrances. We all have our ingenious moments and find ways to access the places letting the folks who drop the ball, from being held responsible.

However distasteful it is to point fingers, if for those who follow us are to find it better. Just as it is far better for us, than those who preceeded us. We will have to point our fingers and speak out loudly. BM, even if you and I don't see great progress on better more usable Power Wheelchairs, a newer generation of chair is on the horizon. Just as long as we are not entirely content with our current position. There are many more crips who work today because they find the work fulfilling, and they feel self worth. Positions are being filled and found for such folks.

There are many of "us" who rather forged the way for such people. Because some parts of our bodies are broken doesn't mean our brains are dead, such as some folks seem to believe. Screaming accessability make not only doctors appointments possible, but allows some folks to get to their place of gainful employment. I could have very easily have gone on "Disability" 50+ years ago, but I was able to find employment doing warious work to make me and my family independent of assistance from others. That's a feel good thing, if nothing else. Accessibility made some of this possible.
Sully

Return to Anything