Off road.

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Off road.

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2015, 19:28

There are hundreds of emails and a good few posts over the years about off road buggies.

I am looking at getting something I can use to buzz about town in summer, AND use off road...

These are 4X4 so plenty grip and go. And 20x the range. And absolutely miles better than any so called 4x4 battery power "wheelchair". They are quiet, relatively cheap and well made and safe. Electric start. Can have additional silencing and sound proofing at the expense of power, that makes them almost silent.

They are commonly used by paraplegics and other disabled on the hundreds of square miles of tidal water beach and sands around here. They can be twist and go, reversible etc without needing legs. And getting in and out may or may not be easy. It may need mechanical help. We will see. Will get in in my drive, and use the roads.

http://www.cyclonemobility.com/polaris-atv These guys are 20 miles away in the next town.

There are MANY polaris sizes, types, even electric, and options. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Polar ... 93&bih=526
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Off road.

Postby Sully » 03 Jan 2015, 22:28

A majority of the folks nearby have something similar, I'm talking neighbors not vendors. On Sunday PM on the "Interstate" Highway, one out of four vehicles have at least, have one or more in the back body or in their trailer. Probable equal to Golf Carts which are also quite popular. The Golf Carts can be either Electric or gasoline driven but are not welcome on the beaches. But their use is heavily regulated and justifyably so.

I am quite curious just how easily "you" will be able to transfer from your car to that 4WD ? Just how convenient the logistics will work out fo you ? I doubt you will find one that can be loaded into the Back of your minivan and you drive from your chair, that becomes another issue. So getting out of your van and loading your useless legs into/onto a 4WD on a trailer looks to be somewhat of a chore. But hey surprise me, make it work. I am more personally mobile than you are and I see some high hurdles for me, but you go for it.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2015, 22:56

I wont tow it anywhere. I will transfer in my garage or drive, and use it on the streets and leave the chair at home...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 04 Jan 2015, 19:12

Driving on the streets could be an issue with the Police. These OR 4 WD machines are not Wheelchairs the Police nor will meet the requirements of the Dept of Transportation in the USA as street legal. They are usually classified as not street legal, and without the protections of HP Laws, using them on most public ways requires vehicle registration . This issue is one of the things I see that can be a future problem with your 15 Mph Personal conveyence (BM3) if it becomes too well known it exceeds the maximum speed allowed in some countries for Power Wheelchairs or HP use. "BUT" I do think the speed issue is likely to be the only legal issue, and then that itself may not be a real issue.

What I forsee is some jackass riding his BM3 Clone at 15 Mph or so, in a crowded area where no motor vehicles are allowed. Something that may spoil it for everyone.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jan 2015, 20:01

This road legal thing has 2 options.

1. drive it and ignore the cops. They don't know what to prosecute you for in the UK because if something doesent fall into a vehicle (taxation) class and was never intended for the highway its the same as a dumper truck, wheelbarrow, lawnmower etc. Construction and usage is outside of the law. Grey area.

2. You make it road legal.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 05 Jan 2015, 19:56

OK, The US Police have a lots and lots of experience with 4x wheelers. Most states have given these some attention on the Road operation of them. Here again Insurance Companies have had some effect, so driving one on a traffic controlled road the vehicle must have some sort of coverage, they have really forced the individual states to not remain silent. And the out of pocket liability can be disasterous. Where Wheelchairs with their restricteds speed ability do not, and have been dealt with insome way in all the states Laws.

Since the laws are not silent about Off Roaders to make them road safe must follow the rules. Now lots of Para's use 4WD Off Roaders and special exemptions have been made for HP users in Many State and National Parks Some of the Western States have very liberal laws regarding these rigs. Beaches are a far different thing and some places are very restrictive. I guess it is probably which of the places you want to haunt the most, as where you seem to find more restrictions.

But using one of your arguements against you is loading and unloading the driver. And the ability to access into the places you most like to go. Of course "if the is a will there is a way" to find or make them work for you.
Sully

Postby tutatu » 13 Jan 2015, 18:09

I've found this guy and his vehicle :D

http://www.uromed.com/chet-dyresons-jou ... -accident/

tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jan 2015, 18:32

Looks cool. On the road too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 14 Jan 2015, 12:40

How much would be complicated to install joystick steering on vehicle like his?
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 14 Jan 2015, 15:10

Depends on your means of doing it, and your definition of complicated.

I would be tempted to just go hydraulic drive and hydraulic joystick. Skid steer.

Or you use an actuator and single channel Roboteq or similar in closed loop servo mode to steer.

Both quite easy. But neither cheap and both would take a bit of fine tuning and development to get perfect.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 20 Jan 2015, 12:26

This guy made chair with tracks and with wheels. It is interesting to see.

He is, I think hunter and he is pretty fast in chair with wheels through the woods. He is not heavy weight person, but pretty cool how this adaptation suit his needs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Edgard000000/videos
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jan 2015, 13:30

He looks in danger of falling forwards/sideways if he descends anything at an cross angle though. Sort of too high and forwards for 3 wheels. Only the sheer weight of 4x 70Ah batteries (220lb) is stopping that tipping I think.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything