Scootfree and Segfree

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Scootfree and Segfree

Postby hank » 18 Jan 2015, 21:57

http://www.segfree.co.za/the-segfree.htm

Anybody viewed this site? Interesting. :roll:
hank

Re: Scootfree and Segfree

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2015, 22:37

Segway's are great. I always wanted one because you do away with casters. So they ride better. Because they are balanced you eat less power turning compared to a chair with casters too. And because they are brushless and use a few more volts than a 24v powerchair that also improves efficiency. All of these things make them able to go much further than you would expect on a Segways small lithium battery. (2 small ones in fact!)

That said the off road variant is short of range. It needs more battery. Especially so if you tried actually using that off road. It would soon run out of steam. And its too wide for indoors by a large margin. 850 wide! That's 33 inches I think. So outside only. These few things would rule it out for me.

The skinny tyre, narrower lightweight version has better range. And I may be tempted. As good as a normal lead powered chair at nearly 25 miles claimed. Pretty good from a Segway battery if its true. But others have claimed a lot less like 15 or 18? That would be just about usable by myself, but it would probably need top-ups during the day. Because I don't use flat concrete a lot, and go on grass tracks, etc dog walking and these eat power way faster.

The scooter with a hold down bracket is something I have seen before. There was a guy at a mobility show 2 summers ago doing exactly the same thing with a manual chair. But using a 22cc Go-Ped DIY style. That had 100 Mile+ range on a tiny petrol tank without a top up! And because he could go 20mph he used to go a long way when the sun came out. But again I still don't really understand why anyone that really wants power would try to power up a manual chair with skinny tyres and little comfort when powerchair or seg-type chairs exist? But it works well enough if that's your thing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 20 Jan 2015, 12:13

Maybe you know, Italian guy and Genny.

His segway is 63cm width, but autonomy is just like you said, weak

http://www.gennymobility.com/genny/design
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jan 2015, 12:21

Autonomy?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jan 2015, 12:31

Never mind I found it. Autonomy = range.

http://www.gennymobility.com/genny/design

Yes all these devices are basically Segways that have been modified. All of them have the great advantages of brushless motors, and balance. That alone is a huge advantage in many ways.
Batteries are too small. So range is inadequate for all day wheelchair use unless you are a moderate user, flat ground, not too heavy.
The reason is that they all use the same Segway base. Except maybe the one linked here. Its an integrated battery/controller/balance electronics/brushless motor part. That most of these manufacturers take and build on top of.

They need to double the size of the lithium batteries or better.

Then these things will make a LOT of sense as an all day wheelchair and I would buy one for personal use. Maybe not everyday because doing anything from them, like pressure washing the drive and dragging big hose about, lifting or cutting metals etc is problematic... But for going out to the pub, yes.

This, http://www.gennymobility.com/genny/xroad
Interests me more. If it wasn't so wide (that Segway base again...) and had the 6 inch wide fat tyres and was no wider than my OWN chair with 6 inch tyres (27 inches) I would be able to use one most days. One other issue is driving from them though. I would sort out the range problem with an "add on" battery pack myself. I think its around 72V and easily doable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby CPguy » 21 Jan 2015, 11:37

I did an article on segways modified for sitting (in german) but you can still follow the links even if you do not read german. http://www.bizeps.or.at/news.php?nr=14881 Enjoy!
CPguy

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jan 2015, 12:09

How to translate that into English is my problem!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby CPguy » 21 Jan 2015, 13:29

Courtesy Google translator:

"Thoughts on driving pleasure with Segways sitting
Originally a modification of hobbyist circles, there are now many companies convert the Segways for operation in the seats and offer her product also people who are dependent on a wheelchair.

This article examines the background: the technology, the motivation and the legal environment.
A powered seated Segway is tempting for wheelchair users both sexes: appealing design and the performance can be demonstrated by practical tests. But what's behind it?

Modern technology for all!
The technology used in electric wheelchairs is described in detail in this article. A Segway contrast, uses modern and more efficient technology (eg, lithium batteries, brushless motors and a voltage of 72 volts.). Several gyroscopes keep the Segway upright and balanced. Due to the fact that the Segway has only one axis, it requires less energy to rotate and can even turn on the spot.

Price is operated in a sitting Segway with approximately € 6.000, - to 14,000, - located (only remodeling or Segway with tag) in the field of electric wheelchairs, the dimensions of approximately 65 cm x 65 cm x 65 cm (height, width , length) and weight of 60 kg are unequal advantageous.

For completeness, it should be mentioned that there a Segway-based replica control at less than € 4,000 - are, however, the technical data (lead-acid batteries with a voltage of 24 volts) so that it is unnecessary to discussion.

Ready, set, go! (or not)
Some companies (the author allows himself - without judgment and without any claim to completeness - a roll-call list, as some providers are hard to find and to draw attention to the different approaches) as "Genny Mobility" with the product "Genny" the "frankie GmbH "in collaboration with the German club" handicapped-accessible eV "products "Apache" and "Sitting Bull", the "Freee Mobility GmbH" with the product "Freee F2", the "med-i-tec GmbH" with the product "MobilityCube" the company "AddMovement" with the product "AddSeat" and the company "SegSolutions, LLC" in the US with the product "Freedom GlidR" offer sitting operated on Segways.

Safely operate these products a physical and mental fitness is required. Since steering operations with the upper body are executed some core stability is required, as well as a certain amount of manual force for transfer movements and for gripping the handlebars.

questionnaire
As mentioned manufacturers develop their products very quickly, no detailed enumeration of the respective product properties. It makes more sense, a questionnaire through which the product differences are obvious:

What is offered? If only one of provided (used) Segway rebuilt or a new Segway adapted?
How easily can the Segway are loaded? (Which is usually a ramp necessary.)
How much clearance there? (For upward and downward slopes this question is essential)
How easy is a transfer to or from the Segway? (Arm rests on the seat can be folded in making party. The handlebar is either removed or turned over.)
Position and type of Park Props? (The post may very close - for some perhaps too close, because the footprint is very small - be at the wheel, its sides or be a rod and therefore vary well in soft or uneven ground.)
Can the Segway be parked on an incline?
Can the Segway fall in the state scale of accident? (On some models it is possible to retract the supports at switched off Segway.)
Can a pressure relief be done safely? (Some models switch off when no weight is longer registered on the seat.)
Is the Segway speedlimited or not? (As with the upper body alone less weight may be relocated as standing the brake signal is not so strong, so will not be heavily braked and the braking distance will be longer.)
Does the seat and thus the focus be shifted? (For a model of the seat is mounted on a rail.)
What accessories are available? (eg light, bags, wide tires, snow tires, snow chains, etc.)
Where and how many pay load mounts are there? (Since the upper body must be moved, a backpack is usually not possible, but space for mobile phone, rain protection, money, catheters, etc. is often still necessary.)
In addition to this questionnaire is a detailed test drive - if possible, in the future application areas - makes sense.

Fun car or wheelchair?
Although in marketing materials, the manufacturer terms such as "Segway wheelchair" occur, a seat Segway is no wheelchair (wheelchairs). The rules are different in almost all EU countries: Austria In a (sitting) Segway In accordance with Austrian road traffic regulations (Highway Code) as an electric bicycle that has run on the bike or on the road. One use of the sidewalk is not allowed! Details can be found by the ÖAMTC here.

Thus, a seat Segway significantly different from one (electric) wheelchair (wheelchairs) or an electric scooter both in Austria traffic laws apply as a pedestrian.

Whether a seat Segway is a useful alternative wheelchair or a useful complement wheelchair, must therefore be decided in each individual case.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome."

So now its understandable!
CPguy

Postby CPguy » 21 Jan 2015, 14:07

@ BM: If you just want the technology there is no need for a segway. An electric unicycle should do the trick: Solowheel (http://www.solowheel.com/), Airwheel (http://www.airwheel.net/) or a "IPS 111" (http://www.amazon.com/IPS-Longest-Drivi ... B00F3TZW9C).
CPguy

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jan 2015, 23:52

I have thought about those and a few toys...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 25 Jan 2015, 13:25

if you want a 'Segway-like' design but with BM3 qualities then design & build yourself is the only way to go.... none of the off-the-shelf units fit the bill...
Irving

Postby Step » 25 Jan 2015, 13:38

Doesn't the segway with seat have a large gap above the battery, under the seat, to add a lithium pack?
Or 2 or 3 'normal' Segway batteries?
The battery is mounted underneath the stand-platform, isn't it?
Step

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2015, 17:15

They are 72 volt, modern ones lithium. 2 small packs.

If you find out the exact cell type, or chemistry, then match them up you could just connect in parallel with a connector, charge on the bench with a bunch of hobby type chargers.

Looks like nominal 3.7V laptop style lithium ion cobalt cells. x 20 to give 74 volts. Would need to take a look at one. Or 22 Lithium ion Phosphate cells.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything