Science and why EVERYONE needs some!

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Science and why EVERYONE needs some!

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2015, 14:20

This is why science, physics and education matters. This and 101 other decisions every adult makes daily.

I was listening to a couple with a kid in a shop today. They were trying to buy a Vacuum cleaner. Big argument between them. One vacuum cleaner said:
"2000 watts! 210 Air watts". The other one at half the cost said "1350 Watts, 240 Air watts"... Both looked pretty similar otherwise.

Obviously the cheaper one was almost twice as efficient, and more powerful too! The salesman explained that the 2000 watt one was "more powerful" and so was more expensive. (Well it made more noise and heat, and sucked up more power anyway!)

Which one do you suppose they bought? You guessed it. The expensive (worse) one... I tried to explain their error beforehand, but I may as well have been talking dutch.

I see similar things all the time. Bad choices, through lack of understanding of so many things.

From credit, to ruined items though not understanding how to treat them. Unrealistic expectations. Wrong products bought that cannot do what they wanted. Things done in incorrect order - wasting time, money, and ending up with a mess. People being ripped off for repairs of everything from their central heating to the car. Yet all kinds of woo and spiritual nonsense, gods, alternative therapies, "non" science solutions, and total lack of interest in how anything actually works seems to be the norm. Then people wonder why they cant afford to live, end up on the street, destitute or whatever.

Just come back from my neighbours house. He has a carpet that doesn't fit (inadequate ability to measure - its too short...) and about 5 bags of cement left to go hard outside because he ordered way more than he needed to do a floor. And a shed that would have kept it dry had he assembled it BEFORE he started the floor...

Baffled here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything