Got Disability Benefits after a 6 year wait. Where do I turn

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Got Disability Benefits after a 6 year wait. Where do I turn

Postby bcblair » 15 Jun 2015, 06:58

for good information and advice? I just got my first check and have lots of questions about benefits, getting past bills paid, how far back to pay my medicare subscriptions to start coverage, medicare and on and on. Does anyone know a good advocacy group or information resource that I can trust or just a very good message board to ask this question on? A company(Chamberlain and Edmunds) that represents the hospital and originally started the application, while I was heavily medicated, in the hospital wants copies of all my approval letters. They say they want to help me get my past medical bills paid. Since the hospital put them on me, I am suspicious about them representing my interests.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have to send in some decisions in a couple of weeks, so I need to get going.
bcblair

Re: Got Disability Benefits after a 6 year wait. Where do I

Postby mrgus2u » 29 Nov 2022, 20:00

Don't you just love SS administration. They kept me waiting for three years, denial after denial, until by some miracle, they realized I am really disabled and approved my request. In the meantime, I had to sell almost all my meager possessions and exhaust my life savings in order to survive! banghead
mrgus2u

Postby expresso » 29 Nov 2022, 20:18

https://www.medicarerights.org/

i know its not the SSA - but you can reach out and ask them - they may at least be able to guide you to someone or place that can look into your concerns -

feel better
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby swalker » 30 Nov 2022, 01:48

Social Security approved me for disability payments in 20 days. I remember at the time being pretty shocked, mostly because I was still in denial about my condition.

My advice is to never rely on the other party's law firm. They will certainly not put your interests first and in fact probably have some obligations to put their clients best interests first. Rarely would your interests and their interests align.

One of the members of our church was a lawyer experienced in disability claims. He offered to help me out for free. I really don't know how I would have managed things without his help.

I don't have a specific recommendation on how to find help in your community, but you might start by spreading the word about your need among those you know. You might be surprised at who will be willing to help.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2022, 14:03

Law firms? Lawyers? Churches?
This is about a wheelchair? czy
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 30 Nov 2022, 15:23

I think they are talking about disability recognition...
martin007

Postby swalker » 30 Nov 2022, 20:43

Martin, I think burgerman knew that :)

I suspect he was being a bit satirical about the american system.

Both Social Security and Medicare are US government programs. They can be very difficult to deal with. This often leads to folks getting lawyers involved.

It is truly unfortunate, but that is the system in the US.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby martin007 » 30 Nov 2022, 20:57

I understand Burgerman; we both live in europe.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2022, 23:54

Martin, I think burgerman knew that :)

I suspect he was being a bit satirical about the american system.

Actually no. Completely baffled as to why all that was required.
Here, we have your doctor refer you to the (useless) NHS wheelchair services.
And for government hand outs, benefits, we fill in a couple of long complicated forms and some need to be assessed in person.

Last time I did that was about 7 years ago. Depending on level of disability you (in this case me) get:
Resulting in:
1. The wheelchair services either provide money, or a chair to fit clinical requirements. In my case around 6k every 3 years. Indoor only chair.

2. The out of work (means tested) benefits amount to £816 every 28 days.

3. The other NON means tested DISABILITY related payment is made up of 2 parts, the MOBILITY, (to help getting about, for powerchairs, vans, taxis, etc) and the CARE part.. In my case this is £627 every 28 days.

Total is then, 816+627= £1443. Thats $1741 dollars at current rates.
The local authority (town council) pay money to my account too. To employ 3 carers that turn up a few times a day. Thats seperate. I contribute £180 towards this too.

As for bills, those are mine. I pay those out of my money. And I pay them on day 1 as they arrive.
In addition I have to pay what you call property tax, of around 1000 a year, and gas, electricity, water.

If you dont own a house they will pay another benefit that I dont get, called housing benefit. To cover mortgage interest or rent. Neither which I aree with...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything