Hyperion as a desulphator ?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hyperion as a desulphator ?

Postby Ashley G » 13 Dec 2010, 20:16

I am probably about to treat myself to the new Hyperion, for a number of reasons.

At the same time, I have been looking at a couple of "lost" batteries which are doubtless sulphated to H*ll, and considering building or buying a desulphator in the happy hope of rescuing them. There are numerous types of desulphator on the net, and plans to make them.

I'm sure you know how they work - basically "zapping" the battery at regular intervals.

I was wondering whether the Hyperion might be able to do the same job as a desulphator ?

Thanks much.

Ash

Ashley G

Re: Hyperion as a desulphator ?

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2010, 21:44

Usually with AC.

Waste of time.

Sulphation cannot be removed. No matter how many people sell devices that claim to do so. Non of these things seem to do any more than a charger can.

But the best you can do is cycle them a few times if they will, and see if you can increase capacity (or get them to finish charging at all) and see what happens.

Its also possible with care to reverse charge the battery and then reverse it again... But again I doubt its worth the effort!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 13 Dec 2010, 21:57

Regardless of whether the desulphators available as products or plans work, they all seem to be very different from what the Hyperion does. The ones I have seem use reactive circuits to give sharp bursts of high power to the battery- not something the Hyperion is set up to do.

My understanding of desulphation is that it involves delivering energy to the sulfur crystals in such a way that they re-dissolve. It seems to me that if this process DOES work, it will likely work a lot better in a flooded battery than a gel or AGM battery. Most of the badly treated gel batteries that I have seen are no longer rectangular- the sides bulge out. Whatever's going on inside does externally visible mechanical damage to the battery, not just a vague chemical process that robs performance.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 14 Dec 2010, 00:20

Many things kill batteries. Grid corrosion, water loss, (dryed out electrolyte) as well as plate deformation and sulphation and the fact that the active plate material gets used up, voids and shrinkage of gel, Oddball chemical reactions from impurities, (they are black/grey/white dust, and obviously buggered...

The idea that you can fix a battery by getting rid of sulphation alone (which doesent work anyway) is pretty much a non starter. They even age and die just based on time alone. If you ever cut an old one up you would see the horrid corrosion, disclouration, distortion, etc and they just look knackered! The idea of rescuing them with ac or pulses of current is to be kind a bit "hopeful"! :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything