AMD Zen Chip -

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: AMD Zen Chip -

Postby Gnomatic » 20 Nov 2017, 00:10

Depending on the overclock and voltage, it can make quite a difference on that chip. Even if little to no performance gain, I'd like my chip to run cooler if possible.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 00:35

i like it cooler also - i wasnt looking for a speed gain when i delid - that wont happen really - like you said - you reach a spot and it wont go any further no matter what .

i found that spot to be 4.7 for me - maybe maybe 4.8 if more tweaking - but its too much volts for that and isnt worth it -

but having the chip cooler all the time is what i want - if you did a fixed OC - loosing all your powersaving features - you will notice the difference in temps -

if you can get 5 ghz with all power saving feature on - thats great - i would still delid it - i bet for sure where you keep your system is no where as warm as my apt. is right now - --

in my Line - all the apts in my line - get the most of the heat - i would say much more than i need - but in order for the end units - studios to get any heat - thats how it has to be - i have windows open all over the place and still warm enough - i show temps in the 80F for my apt. with window open - half way in living room - and each other room to move it around the air
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Nov 2017, 00:47

but having the chip cooler all the time is what i want - if you did a fixed OC - loosing all your powersaving features - you will notice the difference in temps -
Why would anyone do that? :shock:

if you can get 5 ghz with all power saving feature on - thats great - i would still delid it - i bet for sure where you keep your system is no where as warm as my apt. is right now - --

My room is 20.5C. My CPU cores are between 22 and 23.5. If I torture it on purpose, like running 8x prime or something, you can after around an hour or so get that to 70C... And the fans start to run at low speed. But the water still only around 25 to 29C.

Delidding would achieve nothing, other than seeing a few degrees less on a monitoring program. Its designed to be safe at up to 100! If yours gets anywhere near that your cooler is hopeless.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 01:25

i have a fixed OC for the longest time - only way i could have it stable at 4.7 - i have now since lowered it to 4.5 and with power saver on

delid lowered my temps about 30C - thats alot - not a few degrees - in my hot room - it can easily hit 90C and 100C with cooler before delid when it gets stressed

after delid - same cooler - same hot room but 30C cooler temps - thats worth it -
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 20 Nov 2017, 01:39

expresso wrote:

i never hear about AMD chips being delided - - would that be a option on AMD ?

There's no reason to delid an AMD chip as AMD solders the heat spreader to the CPU die. So heat transfer is already excellent. Intel also used to solder their head spreaders directly to the die as well. At least through the Sandybridge generation. Then they got cheap and started using crappy TIM.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 01:45

ok i see - only intel then -

looking over some MB - gezzz - if i was never confused i am now - so many models and options - - i am lost with chipsets and features -
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 20 Nov 2017, 03:33

Lots of new hardware options out there for sure
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 20 Nov 2017, 12:24

You need Z370 (Like Asus https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RO ... -I-GAMING/ ) and a shiny new 6 core intel to be at the best bang for buck/super high end right now. Or rather in 3 months. As prices will fall below the AMD and its faster all around. And some fast low latency 3666 memory. And a 512 M.2 PCIe NVMe disk. And a 1070 or 1080 nVidia card.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Nov 2017, 15:55

expresso wrote:yeah thats true - i see the temps on the screen - hitting 90C and 100C before i delided - i cant say i felt a performance drop from that - but just knowing its that hot stressed most of the time - i feel much better knowing no matter what i do and how hot my room is - its not goin past 65C -

it ildes around 40C which is high compared to many others on idle temps - but at max stressed it dosnt go over 65C 70C - my room is very warm - given all those factors - it made a huge difference with the delid - i would hate to build it and then find out its too hot for my liking -

i would be tempted to delid it first thing as soon as i get it -

Here's my PC temps, it idles around 26C with lid on and room temp is usually around 21C at this time of year.

Temps.jpg

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 16:37

steves1977uk wrote:
expresso wrote:yeah thats true - i see the temps on the screen - hitting 90C and 100C before i delided - i cant say i felt a performance drop from that - but just knowing its that hot stressed most of the time - i feel much better knowing no matter what i do and how hot my room is - its not goin past 65C -

it ildes around 40C which is high compared to many others on idle temps - but at max stressed it dosnt go over 65C 70C - my room is very warm - given all those factors - it made a huge difference with the delid - i would hate to build it and then find out its too hot for my liking -

i would be tempted to delid it first thing as soon as i get it -

Here's my PC temps, it idles around 26C with lid on and room temp is usually around 21C at this time of year.

Temps.jpg

Steve

You have it stock - power saving options all on etc, - no OC - - my temp. guauge in my room right now is showing about 82 F - my window is open a bit also -

i feel much better with the chip delided - either way - and if i get a intel i will do it again before i install it first time -
expresso

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 16:43

Burgerman wrote:You need Z370 (Like Asus https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RO ... -I-GAMING/ ) and a shiny new 6 core intel to be at the best bang for buck/super high end right now. Or rather in 3 months. As prices will fall below the AMD and its faster all around. And some fast low latency 3666 memory. And a 512 M.2 PCIe NVMe disk. And a 1070 or 1080 nVidia card.

Any other MB from Gigabyte - or MSI - - to compare options etc, that 6 core looks to be Ok - enough to give a boost - - memory thats another tricky one - a case - the one you got is nice - but i am concerned about the Glass all over and where i will have to put it - maybe a bad idea for me to have glass -

between size and fragile - not sure - i dont have plans just yet to do this - but things can change - for next year
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Nov 2017, 19:30

Any other MB from Gigabyte - or MSI -

Lots. But not as good. Asus are about as reliable and as accomplished for overclocking etc that you will get. Thats why you see every overclocker and utuber using the ones I linked to.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Nov 2017, 20:14

Burgerman wrote:
Any other MB from Gigabyte - or MSI -

Lots. But not as good. Asus are about as reliable and as accomplished for overclocking etc that you will get. Thats why you see every overclocker and utuber using the ones I linked to.

strang reading the amazon reviews - its the opposite - - i am open to something different this time i think - maybe if i can make a small size case work - i can sit it on my desk keep it simple light and fast -

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XFW9W43/ ... RBQ2LAUELL

looks a bit strange but being an open layout - i can build it eaiser i think ? maybe - - may just leave it stock this time or simple OC - video card - i dont think i need a 1080 model or even 1070 - i am not really a gamer on it -

i was thinking something alone these lines - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSLTC/ ... RBQ2LAUELL

or if i have to get a larger case - this one is nice also -

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M6TV6PC/ ... RBQ2LAUELL

this is getting harder and harder to pick the parts now - so many to decide from - -

if i would go with a small MB instead - of the full ATX - what would i really be giving up on ?

i should be able to get the speed i want - i would use AIO water cooler - Ram at least 16 - but if only two slots - maybe i just get 32 gig and be done with it -

i dont want no 3.5 HD in there - maybe just the MV.2 on the MB - is it wise to get those only and nothing else - one for the OS and the other for storage - the rest i can use external for storage -

this will take me a year to decide on parts -

if i can keep it small size case etc, - simple and fast -would make it easier to handle for the girls - and maybe i can sit on the desk instead - to view it - what use is having glass all around and lights and sits under the desk -

this is where the AMD is a good choice for a lower cost and still fast setup - if you really wanted to cut corners on cost - it can be done with AMD setup -

i like the speed high ghz - so intel i can still do for now - hopefully the costs come down by the time i am ready -

i like to configure a setup - one with a Small Factor case - and another with Midsize case - - make a wish list on amazon for each setup - and compare - size cost etc, curious to see the difference
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 21 Nov 2017, 12:56

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

Then go here, configure you proper water setup. Not an All in one... Removes way more heat than delidding. And makes it silent!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 21 Nov 2017, 16:31

well i wanted to avoid a custom loop - yes its better but more work and maintaining it - i just cant be bothered - i will look at that link when i get a chance - i will just save items in a wish list i made for both intel and AMD -

by the time i do this - could be next winter - or sooner if things change - i may just want to make A Small compact setup this time - simple fast and cool -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 21 Nov 2017, 18:12

I have an all in one at the moment with 360 long 3 fan radiator in the top. And a 140mm x 140, but 40mm thick additional radiator in the front for the 1070 graphics card. Nothing even gets warm at full load. But it looks boring.

So am about to fit a system from https://www.ekwb.com/

Because while it will allow a few hundred cycles faster it mostly looks interesting! Esp in a pure smoked glass case. Theres no reason it will need more maintainance than an all in one system. Once filled. It will allow it to run even quieter though, whilst looking interesting.

Like these https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... R4#imgrc=_
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Anything