Getting financial help for a BM power chair

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Getting financial help for a BM power chair

Postby lutzk » 25 Jan 2011, 22:58

Hallo folks,

I am looking for a bit of advice, as I am very impressed with the BM power chair MK2, I have decided to get one for my for my wife Jan, who is disabled.
She has been registered for less than a year but sadly, two week ago diagnosed with MND !
I heard and read about the Motabillity scheme and if qualified , the person receives a voucher for a power chair.
We are not sure if that would apply for BM chair as well but it seems the only suitable solution for giving Jan the chance to have still some enjoyment of life as her garden is the only interest she has.
What could I do, or how would I get round it to get financial help from which ever authority to produce a chair like that as, our own resources are very limited.
I have tackled the problem more than likely from the wrong end , but I am already in the planning stage but if somebody out there has good advice or an idea, I would very much preciate it !
Many thanks and kind regards

Lutz
lutzk

Re: Getting financial help for a BM power chair

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 25 Jan 2011, 23:20

I think it unlikely that Motability will consider a BM cahir, because they have recognised dealers selling certified products, and 11 dealers nationally who can sell custom chairs.

See:

http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/ma ... Type=SWHIW

However, I would check with Motability first, then check on disability charities:

start at:

http://www.mybility.co.uk/Funding/

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2011, 00:05

Try wheelchair services...

I had an "assessment" recently where I assessed them good and proper! After looking at my indoor, well built and finished chairs (two brand new and polished parked in the dining room) and another with me sat in it dirty, they (the experts! You gotta laugh) wanted to know more.

After previous battles where I slightly took them to task, the local WC services wouldnt even re assess me. They know they cant because I take the piss out of their assessment! And them. So they sent the head of some trust, the head of clinical sciences, the "expert" whellchairist, and OTs etc to visit. They were quite worried about the visit after seeing this site and my previous history of engagements with them.

So they didnt dare offer me a wheelchair (how could they?) so instead we had a change of tack. After me funding and building (and developing) my own, they have decided to try and send me an "equivelent" figure to a hi end powerchair every 3 years... But I am not yet sure what is happening. At first they decided it wasnt legal according to their systems. Now they are trying anoither way...

I quote:

Hi John
Hope you are well. Just to let you know I’m meeting next week with people about the personal budget guidance to see if it is possible to access funding for you to use for your wheelchair I should be able to give you more information following that meeting. I will let you know as soon as I have something.

Name of high ranking actually useful and with a brain female NHS member removed!

But its a one off. Based on 10 years f me obviously building and paying for quality way better powerchairs than they can even buy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 26 Jan 2011, 00:12

That looks helpful!

I also have a chair provided by WCS - its used mainly as my indoor chair, and for trips around the town locally; anything further I pack an F55 or my F75S in the car, e.g all day trips to exhibitions at the NEC!

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2011, 00:36

I only pack one. But I can charge it at 100 amps from my van should the need arise. And its seriously fast! You get 2/3rds of it back in minutes. Get yourself organised man! :P
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 26 Jan 2011, 01:15

It would be very nice, but every time I go that route, a client comes along pleading a greater need, and it's gone again! Also, I often have to unload to carry other poeple's chairs for them. You don't have these problems, John!
Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2011, 03:19

No. I thought you needed 2 because your batteries didnt last!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 26 Jan 2011, 12:54

My position is very different to other people I think - I am playing musical chairs with powerchairs - I am in and out of different ones cosntantly, so versatility is my key,
Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2011, 14:15

With that in mind, you need a 12 and/ 24v input Hyperion 1420! It can charge any chair, any battery type, faster than a mobility charger, even lithium powered stuff. And of course chair from chair. All needs my 2 anderson connector solution though... Buy a truck load. And a small power supply to run it from the wall too should your car be out of fuel...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lutzk » 26 Jan 2011, 21:15

Burgerman wrote:Try wheelchair services...

I had an "assessment" recently where I assessed them good and proper! After looking at my indoor, well built and finished chairs (two brand new and polished parked in the dining room) and another with me sat in it dirty, they (the experts! You gotta laugh) wanted to know more.

After previous battles where I slightly took them to task, the local WC services wouldnt even re assess me. They know they cant because I take the piss out of their assessment! And them. So they sent the head of some trust, the head of clinical sciences, the "expert" whellchairist, and OTs etc to visit. They were quite worried about the visit after seeing this site and my previous history of engagements with them.

So they didnt dare offer me a wheelchair (how could they?) so instead we had a change of tack. After me funding and building (and developing) my own, they have decided to try and send me an "equivelent" figure to a hi end powerchair every 3 years... But I am not yet sure what is happening. At first they decided it wasnt legal according to their systems. Now they are trying anoither way...

I quote:

Hi John
Hope you are well. Just to let you know I’m meeting next week with people about the personal budget guidance to see if it is possible to access funding for you to use for your wheelchair I should be able to give you more information following that meeting. I will let you know as soon as I have something.

Name of high ranking actually useful and with a brain female NHS member removed!

But its a one off. Based on 10 years f me obviously building and paying for quality way better power chairs than they can even buy.

Hallo again,

We had a visit from the occupational health nurse today, we gave her a demonstration how useless a manual wheel chair was, it dug itselfe in constandly and than ( a brilliant tactical move ) told her about The BM Powerchair and she was impressed !! Yes folks, she was really impressed and said than we meet the NHS wheelchair people ( for a driving test !) we should put that forward to them.
So the battle is not lost yet and hopefully we are a winner at the end of the day. Keep all fingers crossed !
Thanks

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2011, 22:33

You will be lucky! They will "assess" you (your wife) very carefully and recomend a useless harrier, or spectra plus... Its all they have. All the money goes on pointless ill informed "assessements" by people with less understanding of powerchairs than my grandma. And shes dead. Or something equally hateful. Read here...
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/invacar ... a-plus.htm

If you are VERY lucky, and build what you need first and prove you can then its possible with a fight.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lutzk » 27 Jan 2011, 22:16

Hallo folks,

Yes, what is I thought too, but I showed the nurse a print of the BM chair and told her that's what we want!!!
Now we have an invite for a test for Jan on Monday and on Wednesday comes an Engineer to us to have a look around, well he will be in for a shock than he sees our garden and the size of it and all the different surfaces.
But you will be right, they will give us ,if any something totally useless.
I also looked the motabillity web side but if you chose one of the chairs from cat 3 than they will take away the disability living allowance , well that is a bit of a cone as well. what do they think we live of fresh air ?
Never mind , i look forward to next week and see what the NHS got to offer.
keep care and kind regards

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 27 Jan 2011, 22:32

Motability don't take the whole of the disability living allowance (DLA), only the Mobility Component, which I think is currently some £38 per week.

Good luck,

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jan 2011, 23:21

That 38 per week is supposed to cover a lowered floor van I can drive, with its bigger fuel, insurance, and purchase costs, as well as huge depreciation. And powerchairs, tyres, charging, maintainance!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 28 Jan 2011, 10:08

Can I suggest that you need to investigate their brief and resources?

What obligations do they have?

Most Wheelchair services seem to have an appointed contractor whom they expect to channel everything through.

Review the medical evidence and other support as to need.

I got an Invacare Viper with power tilt and recline (Ugh), but better than nothing, and I use it mainly as my indoor mobile armchair and for trips around the town - max about 1 mile. Beyond that, I use whatever I have available to put in the car, usually an F75S or an F55, especially when I go the events such as seminars or exhibitions at the NEC. Incidentally, I find the F75S, although also midwheel drive, much better than the Viper in so many ways.

I was greatly helped by Motability having paid for me to have an assessment for driving by the Queen Elizabeth foundation, and this was available ot the Wheelchair Services people. They also advised that their process normally required the issue of a manual chair (no use to me because of weak wrists), and then an indoor powerchair, before going to an outdoor chair! However, at the tiem of their assessment, I was in an elderly (battered) F55, which clearly needed replacement, and I could demonstrate my ability to use it. For this reason, they skipped directly to the Viper. They would not go to an F55, but after 3 years, I am about to revist that.

I guess the bottom line of my suggestions is that you should have as much external / independent reporting as to your wife's condition and need. If you can't get it from your Doctor, or an assessment service, try letters from friends with experience of using wheelchairs.

Is anyone else on the forum near enough to you to be able to lend support?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby lutzk » 28 Jan 2011, 23:48

Hallo Martin,

Good information, sadly near us is nobody to help us with support of any kind. we are waiting from Newcastle for the MND team to get in touch and sent somebody her to us but all moves slow.
We see the big man ( doctor ) next Tuesday and see what they got to say, any help would be thank full.
Now I have prepare a case for the engineer and the wheel chair people on Monday.
With the motability I have must have been not informed enough, we sent away for an information pack and see what happens.
I keep you updated and I still hope they let me build an BM chair, I keep my fingers crossed.
Many thanks

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 29 Jan 2011, 01:21

Martin O Refurbisher

Postby lutzk » 30 Jan 2011, 09:09

Hallo and many thanks,

That is great, I just had a look, we keep you posted !
thanks

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 30 Jan 2011, 15:11

I recommend being as well prepared as you can be.

The information seems to say that each Primary Care Trust sets its own criteria fo their particular Wheelchair Services. It makes sense to find out what yours are.

I would also investigate advice services such as:

http://www.ricability.org.uk

and the Disabled Living Foundation:
www.dlf.org.uk

who run an advice service:

http://www.asksara.org.uk/

Yuo might also be eligble for grants from charities to help with the cost of a special chair, if justified by an independent assessment.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby lutzk » 31 Jan 2011, 19:15

Hallo folks,

Yes, we have been to the Carlisle Infirmary/wheel chair department and it was disapointing as they provide just one type of chair which is called Lomax !
It has all the features you could think of, like sollid tires, small wheels at the front, a pretty bulky thing alround great wide turning circle, in short words all the things you don't want in comparison to the BM chair.
They did not want to hear the version of are there other alternatives, well the engineer is doing his home visit on Wednesday , all that will be fun as his chair will fit through no door frame at all.
Must go speak to you later !
Lutz
lutzk

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 19:56

Told you. They have a very limited choice of nose heavy, hard tyred, skinny small wheeled, low powered small batteried, badly programmed cheap powerchairs. There is absolutely no point in being "assessed" as they already know beforehand what they will prescribe. They are a waste of time. Unless you know the market, know exactly what suits your clinical requirements and can show a reasoned argument. Then they have little choice.

Their biggest priority is fobbing you off with the cheapest possible solution, saving as much for wages, meetings, training days, and paper pushing as possible. Powerchairs are last on the list.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lutzk » 31 Jan 2011, 21:28

Hallo Burgerman,

Hallo again, well the day started with "This is the chair we are providing !" and I would have had a chance to say something and bring my case forward but ,sorry folks to say this, than your "Better Half" starts to open the mouth and saying something without engaging the brain first, than it all lands like jelly and custard straight into you face.
And so it was, before I mentioned anything it was done, the battle was lost before it even started and as she said " This chair is great!" well why did I bother.
I showed them a picture, what I did expect a chair to be like but they just laughed at me.Now they are saying that all ramps have to have a ramp with a slope 10 % , will be tricky as ours is an old cottage and the doors re narrow.
I told her why the BM chair was ideal but I rest my case.
Still , I have not given up yet, there is still a spark of hope ( small)so I will investigate the charity sides and see if I can round that a bit.
Tomorrow we meet the MND team in Newcastle first time, they have special trained Nurses maybe they are able to help?
Okay folks, I keep you posted ! kind regards

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 31 Jan 2011, 22:53

A typical start - they sell the offer of a quantum leap now, even if in the wrong direction, and back it up with the threat of interminable delays if you don't agree.

So much for choice. It could be that your GP is a fundholder and has some say, and will support you. Or you can convince hte negineer to report that the Lomax is just not practical. Otherwise, just keep pushing - they are likely to prefer a quiet life, and give way sooner or later, but you need to know what they could do. Perhaps on the PCT can / will tell you that.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 23:03

You should have laughed at it, and gone home. Then made a huge list of reasons why it was unsuitable. And flatly refused it.So they got away with it again.

Lomax is just not practical

Very politely put!!!

They tried to show me an invacare harrier! You should see their faces when I gave them a string of 20 things that made it entirely unsuitable and told them to donate it to an old peoples home. After another "discussion" they bought me an F55S after telling me it wasnt possible. Then as they delivered it I sawed off the swing away footrests... Again you should have seen them panic!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lutzk » 01 Feb 2011, 22:27

Hallo again,

Yes , tomorrow is the day than Mr. Engineer arrives with is wisdom, and how his chair will not fit round our cottage nor outside either !
I have just been looking at costs like to change all the doorways and all the ramps we need, it could come to the overall costs of two F55 chairs properly, so here is my bargain tool!
Good news mind from our hospital visit, Jan might not have MND it could be SCA which shows identical sypmtons , I hope they are right that means she has a dam side longer to live!
Will it make a difference in claiming for an electric power chair ? She will not be able to walk,it could also worsen and there is no treatment for it either but the eating and breathing difficulties will not appear ?
I let you know how we are getting on tomorrow.
greetings

Lutz
lutzk

Postby Burgerman » 01 Feb 2011, 22:58

Yes , tomorrow is the day than Mr. Engineer arrives with is wisdom, and how his chair will not fit round our cottage nor outside either !
I have just been looking at costs like to change all the doorways and all the ramps we need, it could come to the overall costs of two F55 chairs properly, so here is my bargain tool!

Its completely irrelivant that it wont fit your cottage. Whats important is that it wont fit in the 1001 places you dont even know you are going to visit yet.

It always makes me laugh when they come to see your house to decide what chair!!! They need to be looking at the whole planet! Advise them that they have no clue and show them the door.

The CORRECT way to find a chair is to find the lightest, fastest, longest range one, with the smoothest ride, that is the same length and width as the user who will be using it. That way it will be the most suitable for every place you need to be.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 02 Feb 2011, 00:01

I can add little to what BM says other than to ask the Engineer what his brief is, and what scope he has?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 02 Feb 2011, 09:47

Engineer? You got to laugh...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 02 Feb 2011, 21:51

The person you call an 'engineer' in your country, what do they do? For some reason I had an idea in the back of my head that people say 'engineer' in some areas when they mean the same thing I'd say when I use the word 'mechanic'. I know that I've never run into an actual making home visits for anything wheelchair related in the US.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 02 Feb 2011, 21:57

It means a failed lawnmower mechanic, that struggles to fix a puncture or order the right bits. I dont think they have any real skills. Or if they do its not obvious...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Anything