Tornado

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Tornado

Postby torque » 21 Jul 2017, 07:57

Yesterday was an exciting and scary day and im finally home we had a tornado go through here trees down everywhere a tree on my house roads closed no power. I can't thank the local fire department enough the EMT that saved my life last month when i had the stroke came to check on me and she took me to the fire hall were they had a generator air conditioning and the oxygen I needed and fed me dinner when the power was restored she brought me home and made sure I was set and good for the night until my aide gets here at 8 am there truly is some good people in this world :)
jazzy 600
torque

Re: Tornado

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2017, 10:20

There are. Unfortunately they seem to be outnumbered by the opposite type! Pleased you are OK. Interestingly you post initially confused me for a few seconds having just woke up. I thought you had a jet fighter go through. We have no tornado's (wind) here.

But there are many tornado jets around here. (low level high speed bombers that think they are fighters.) Going low/ extremely fast with wings swept back at house/tree-top height around here. You hear nothing as they leave the sound behind, see nothing, then boom they are past. I dont think they "live" near me but like to follow the coastline/Humber estuary and practice bombing the oil refineries!

Scares the crap out of you as they seem to come from nowhere and all the car alarms go off.

These

youtu.be/_2OdtdPuqE4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby torque » 21 Jul 2017, 13:20

Those planes are crazy how do they go so fast so low to the ground ?
jazzy 600
torque

Postby sad_vampire » 21 Jul 2017, 14:07

Those planes probably come from RAF Scampton which isn't far from you John.

Many years ago I cadged a ride in a Vulcan from Scampton, now they were epically noisy.

My dad was an aerodynamicist on Tornado (Panavia MRCA project) at Warton where they were made,
so we got used to them flying along supersonic 10ft above the waves just offshore, it requires a special type
of nutter to fly like that & one of the prototypes did end up in the Irish Sea. Knowing some of the test pilots,
they were probably flying supersonic upside down at 10ft above the sea at the time & a wave got them. RAF pilots
are usually younger & haven't got old enough to do such stupid things, they stick at to at least 15ft above the sea :D .
sad_vampire

Postby sad_vampire » 21 Jul 2017, 14:10

torque wrote:Those planes are crazy how do they go so fast so low to the ground ?

Terrain following radar.

Glad you're OK. We do get tornados in the UK but they're usually quite feeble & they tend to stick to certain areas,
such as the south coast, Farnborough, Birmingham, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Birmingham_tornado
sad_vampire

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2017, 16:58

Those planes probably come from RAF Scampton which isn't far from you John.

Many years ago I cadged a ride in a Vulcan from Scampton, now they were epically noisy.

My dad was an aerodynamicist on Tornado (Panavia MRCA project) at Warton where they were made,
so we got used to them flying along supersonic 10ft above the waves just offshore, it requires a special type
of nutter to fly like that & one of the prototypes did end up in the Irish Sea. Knowing some of the test pilots,
they were probably flying supersonic upside down at 10ft above the sea at the time & a wave got them. RAF pilots are usually younger & haven't got old enough to do such stupid things, they stick at to at least 15ft above the sea :D .

They seem to be so fast and so low that they appear to be in danger from trees or house roofs/chimney pots at times. And they are so fast you cant hear a thing, silence, till they pass you. Surprised they are not always crashing. Not seen one for a while now. Maybe they were replaced/moved. Yes RAF Scampton isn't far away. Maybe there.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything