Heated Battery Jackets

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Heated Battery Jackets

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2017, 16:58

Winter is coming and i hate to be Cold - and hate to be dressed so bulky with too many layers or thick sweaters etc, - restricts me from moving etc, - i found this site - Considering one of the heated Jackets -

has anyone used one before - ? i see they are a few kinds - 5v 7v and 12v items - so my question is which is best to get in terms of Volts ? they all seem to have control of the heat - i am thinking the 12V models would be the warmest ?

i want to get rid of my bulky stuff and my goal is to just wear one thermal undershirt long sleeve - or wool blend - then just one long sleeve item over it or a thin layer sweater and the heated jacket - and thats it - i want to be as flexable as i can and stay warm -

i try to limit my outdoors in the Cold - but i realize i will have a few appts. and have to get out there this winter - for my legs - i found one of those leg warmers covers - not heated - just a good fleece with nylon shell - its thick - and straps around under your legs right up to the waist - that would keep the legs feet warm -

whats the deal on these heated jackets - clothes etc, Pros and Cons ?

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbings ... thing.html

So many to choose from - never knew they had them and so many of them - not sure if i should get a liner kind and then use my jacket over it - or just the jacket heated itself -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Heated Battery Jackets

Postby Burgerman » 17 Sep 2017, 17:30

Work well on two wheels.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 17 Sep 2017, 17:57

I do not believe you need electrically heated clothes. Look at some of those outdoors magazines (hunting/fishing mags.) There are underwear that wicks your body's natural moisture away from your skin. That stuff works.

What all we have to realize (if we don't already) is our lack of bodily motion does not help with the bodily heating. Everyone is so very different there is no real general rule for us. Any one on blood thinners or over medicated for cholesterol as I was when I had a LDL of 24, I was always cold. There is no perfect solution.

Duck hunters in the northern climes spend long hours in waders standing quite still, often IN very cold water, they wear some great underwear that should keep you very warm. But not all that bulky. The clothes I wore under my diving dress, when I did that for a living, was based on being bulky and usually woolen, there is no wind down there. But the water pressure squeezed the diving dress against your lower body and was terribly cold. Hunting clothes allows agility, especially hunting water fowl. I believe the types called base layers might serve you well. Both tops and bottoms. Cabella's and Bass Po Shops advertise and sell on the internet as do many other stores.
Sully

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2017, 21:54

those hunter clothes - dont work for me - Way too bulky and heavy - arms chest etc, - cant move in them - i need light and warm - the legs i always wear under pants - i tried many kinds - not enough for me - like you said not being able to walk and create heat is one thing - then the wind and moving in your chair dosnt help -

i am going to try one of them jackets - - question is - which Volt kind is best 5v 7v or pick one with a 12V battery ? i would think 12v would be the warmest of them ?

or would any work the same ? they all show heating temps about the same or close - so what advantage is having a 12V as opposed to the others ?
expresso

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2017, 21:57

i use a silky kind of underpants now - its thin - seams ok - i think its called Hetech - but its not heated or anything - suppose to do the wick away thing and use your body heat to keep warm - i like it because its thin and silky - easy to move position in the chair - or if sitting knees bent - have to pull them up or i feel stuck - and these are easy -

i guess sort of like a womans pantyhose - which can also be used actually would work - whos going to see you anyway :lol:
expresso

Postby motoman » 18 Sep 2017, 14:32

I've got the Gerbing 12 volt vest with a temp controller and wired in a $10 dollar 24 to 12 volt converter. Its lovely. I wouldn't buy a jacket as they are made for motorcyclists and are a bit bulky in a chair. The vest is easy to put on and if you keep your core warm your arms will stay warmer too. And barely notice any difference in range if I use it 4 or 5 hours on a cold day.
I had a Gerbing battery powered vest for a while but batteries are always dead and buying spares is very expensive
motoman

Postby expresso » 18 Sep 2017, 19:17

thanks for the input - so many to choose from -

this one may be good - looks like i can wear this with just one undershirt - and looks light - but who knows - most of the jackets i see - say jacket liner - they dont seem thick - they seem as if i have to wear a jacket over it - which may be Ok also -

just not sure - i guess i may have to pick one and see -

i was looking at this one

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing- ... acket.html
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2017, 18:34

If its cold enough to need that I will stay in, or use my van... :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Oct 2017, 22:40

i normally stay indoors in the winter mostly - but like today - it was Ok in the sun - but getting chilly and when moving at speed - the wind -

so i would have used it today if i had it - i only go out in the winter if i have an appt. - which i have a few this year in Nov. and Dec.

i am going to try one just to see how it works and if it really works - if it does - then i get the warmer jacket for cold days - i will try a thinner jacket to see if i can use it with just a sweater - and not get too bundled up - i hate to be where i cant move -
expresso

Return to Anything