Dell Desktop - New Win 10 install

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Dell Desktop - New Win 10 install

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 23:22

Once you get it and shegets it how she wants it, delete all temp files etc, then put your mem stick in, and take a copy of the full boot disk. Take it away, store on any disk anywhare. When she screws it up you can restore. Do another one every few weeks if you can, so the restored disk is up to date.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 18 Nov 2017, 23:28

its done - she never get it how she wants - she dosnt know how she wants it - she was still using XP and didnt fully know how to use it then - now its like moving to China - Again - i have the image made - every so often i can restore it back - do a few updates or make some changes if she wants - etc, - and redo the image -

by the time she figures out how to use Chrome for email etc, instead of AOL - she would need a new computer anyway
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 23:33

Chrome doesent DO email... The best it can do like all browsers is fake email called web mail.

Chrome is horrid anyway. It phones home all the time. You want firefox, properly configured with adblock plus installed so you never see another ad.

And a real email client.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 18 Nov 2017, 23:59

yes but its fine enough - simple once you learn it - - keeps contacts etc, - trust me - at times - its a good feature to never loose your contacts - or have it restored in a few mins. if lost or what ever the case may be -

i went to chrom myself a while back - and its fine - yes it phones home - what can you do - it is what it is - dont think any others are any much different even if they say they are - its all being stored one way or another - at some point - i need to make my life easier -

firefox i always used - it was lately iffy slower etc, - But now the new one i got it a few days ago - seems fast now - i may go back or keep both - you dont have smartphones - google with my phone - same thing saves the back up of everthing if i choose to - when i change phones or etc, - i get all my contacts back - dont have to worry about loosing them or re entering them etc,

times are what they are - you can stay with your Old simple flip phone from the 80's and yes it does a phone call fine - even my father has a smartphone - not that he knows how to use it :lol:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 00:13

I have a smart phone for years. I know how it works. I choose not to use one. :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 00:23

i am sure you can work it - - you choose not to use it - thats fine - - every so often - i like to get a newer version - faster etc, - its part of the world - like it or not - for me its a pass time when out waiting - to browse - etc, - just kill time etc, but i dont get too involved with every aspect of it -

i stick with my unlocked Honor 5x phone - its an entry level i think - but looks nice - very fast coming from my Older flip phones or those free phones they give out at Metropcs etc, - this is tons better faster - $100 amazon deal a few years ago i think i got it - time for new one - this phone worked fine for me - so maybe a Honor 8 - if i get a deal
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 00:38

I do get it. I think if its all you want, and the photo quality is as good as you are used too, and you dont mind squinting at a microscopic screen, and your eyes are young enough etc then go for it.

But for sane rational people where marketing and the percieved "need" for expensive fragile complex hand held phones has failed to stick. Those that have better computers, better cameras, etc anyway at home or work, and just want a phone that you charge once a month and it works reliably. Then a cheap dumb phone is a cheaper much simpler more reliable solution. Leave it in the pub? Drop it in the loo, who cares.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 00:48

the camera is not my major concern - it works good enough on the smartphones - i dont have cameras at home or have a need for those stand alone manual kinds - i done that when i was a kid - are they cool - are they great - better control pictures etc - yes all of the above - but dosnt matter if i dont use them or need to - so a smart phone camera for me is fine for my needs -

if a smartphone is hard to see - how do you see anything on a 1 inch screen :lol: - only numbers - you can make them Large - - a smart phone would be better for the larger screen size - you can make them large if you cant see -

anyway - i get it - i am surprised though - being so involved with tech. stuff - that you didnt or not involved in a high end phone - to me - they are not worth it - the costs - etc, - reason why i have a mid range of sorts - enough for me and unlocked - i dont pay much for service - at least the costs we have here - - cant compare to UK - could be cheaper there -

yes we can get those basic phones - pay as you go - pay for Mins - if you dont use them - they can last a year - and cost you $20 dollars maybe - if you fall in that group - then makes sense -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 00:59

I am, it does, and 15 a year! I hate phones. :fencing

People spend most of their lives staring at the damned things. They are only any good for "social media" which was only invented to make money from those people that didnt know what the PC in the dining room was actually for...

So I dont do social media either. You wont find me on face/book/tube/space/ogram. That rubbish was all invented to make you spend hundreds on smart phones you didnt know you needed...

Somewhere to upload all the mediocre phone photos to. hanged All pointless meaningless dross to me! Trivial dumbed down garbage I dont have time for. Thats what everyone is staring at in the street, the pub, the bank, the shopping centre, etc etc. czy
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 01:31

i agree - i hate it - i never answer my phone when outside - its on the side of my chair - i leave it there if i need it - but i dont answer it - i dont wear ear phone to answer the calls - i couldnt care less - - every now and then if i have to stop - i can check - if anything - but then put it back and once moving i dont bother -

i cant stand it - everyone is a fucking idiot on the phones looking on the groud - people dont even move when walking - they dont care - they just walk on the phone facing the ground and expect everyone else to go around them

i scared a few - never fails - have no choice - i just run up fast and dont move - let them panic last min. and jump out of the way - then we get the bad rap - slow down - your speeding - this or that - same shit all the time

i dont even hear it anymore - same story same lines - different idiots only - thats why i love to get out of the city and ride in the mountains - off the roads - etc, -

this is how it is now - and will be even worse in years to come - i remember when it first started with the speaker phone - you see someoone talking and looking your way - you think hes talking to you and turns out hes on speaker - haha

and then the ones that are always on the phone 24/7 in public - loud - etc, - i have to laugh - most people need attention - they need to feel important - i guess this does it for them -

one guy in the docs. office waiting - on the phone like hes a big shoot making deals - real estate - yeh we make $1000.00 there - this and that - i just smiled and laughed - real idiot - i bet he didnt have a dollar to his name

you know how i know - his shoes told it all - you need good shoes - his were broken old looking crap - but a suit - most likely his only good will shopping suit - its amazing how people need to feel - i love to analzye them -

remeber i am in NYC - everyone thinks they are someone or want to be - either wearing shades in the dark - or looking bummy trying to be a famous actor or look important - its a joke - most are starving struggling idiots - if they wake up and do what they should - they may be able to pay there rent - people rather pay $3500 a month to live in a one bedroom because its in the City - haha - they wash dishes for a living i bet and always broke
expresso

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 19:38

Ok now i have the HD i took out of the Dell computer - i have the cable to connect it to any usb - i want to wipe it clean and use it as external drive for storage etc, - but it dosnt show up on my computer - and hangs the system - i tried it on both computers - desktop and laptop

would this be because it needs its own Power ? USB power not enough to run it ? i will buy a enclosure like i did for the 2.5 HD from old laptop - that works fine with the usb cable -

Do you think thats all i would need to make it work and show up on my computer when plugged in ? using external power cable and usb to desktop - its a 1T HD 7200 - dosnt feel it though
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 21:40

2.5 disks need only 5V and usually USB2 has enough power. USB3 always has enough power.

3.5 disks need a 12v supply... So will not work from USB2 or 3 directly...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 21:42

2.5 disks need only 5V and usually USB2 has enough power. USB3 always has enough power.

3.5 disks need a 12v supply... So will not work from USB2 or 3 directly...

And these are seldom used even in modern desktops today as 2gb 2.5 disks are common, low power etc. EG theres 4x 2gb ones in my desktop. And 2x M.2.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 21:57

ok i figured that - all 3.5 inch enclosures have a power cable and usb connector - you need both to make it work - will get one for it - why make it go to waste
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 22:47

Stick old 3.5 disks inside. Use them to store backup files.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Nov 2017, 23:03

i dont want to open it anymore - its under my desk - its heavy - i would need help to unplug it - take it out - open it up etc, - not worth the hassle - i have 4 T WD Blacks in there now - 2 2T models - and SSD for OS -

my next system - i want to get rid of heavy HD in the case - i want just Fast M2, on the MD - can use those WD for external units - just easiery to use external now - i want to keep the Case ligth as i can - while being fast - and Cool temps

water cool all the time now - and no CD drives instead this time - will have just one external drive in case - i like to get a Full tower case but space is a problem also - makes it easier to work in and build it etc, - better Air flow also

but may have to stick with a Mid size - when time comes - DDR 5 coming in 2020 - that may be too long aways to wait for that - but then again i dont need to upgrade - i am just exploring the parts -
expresso

Previous

Return to Anything