stripped screw - how to remove now ?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: stripped screw - how to remove now ?

Postby expresso » 05 Dec 2017, 18:29

yeah - i cleaned off my whole desk - now i have a ton of room on it :) will try not to put all the junk i had on it back after i mount the monitor - i my have a problem with my Arm that holds it - its made for a 24 inch monitor - i have had a 27 inch all the time on it and is fine - but this new one is a bit heavier also - so hope it can hold the weight - thats one - then the Vesa mount hole spacing - to my eye - the monitor looks as if they are spaced out more - than my bracket is

if those dont line up - then i can mount it on my desk Pole bracket off the desk - and have to use the monitor base stand etc, - then i have to decide to either leave it that way or get a new bracket for the correct Vesa spacing -

when i looked it up where i got my table - close to $89 for it - wasnt expecting that - always something - i remember the biggest TV were about 24 inchs at one time -- now 55 inchs computer monitor

table is a good strong desk - adjustable also for height -

www.versatables.com
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 05 Dec 2017, 22:16

It will fit.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rlnguy » 05 Dec 2017, 22:49

I'm a bit late to reply, but one trick I have used several times, for both Phillip head, and hex head screws, like this, is to get a tube of valve grinding compound, at an auto parts store. It's like toothpaste, with carbide granules in it.
Put a little on the tip of the driver, or slot in the screw, and then unscrew normally. The carbide grit bites into the driver tip, and the screw.
I done this dozens of times, and have actually broken the tip off some pretty high quality screwdrivers-but they didn't slip out of the screw..........
good luck
rlnguy

Postby expresso » 05 Dec 2017, 22:59

it does fit - using the DP cable - i didnt try it with the HDMI - since i am giving the monitor to my sister - she will need it anyway - - its a very nice size screen - very bright also - much more than the previous - i am already used to the screen size and old one looks small already :mrgreen:

the bracket holds its good on the Arm - strong enough - i didnt put back all the stuff i had on my desk - just a few things - very nice monitor - spreakers are fine for me - better than the other one also - sounds nicer - but they are not loud or Hifi - just for sound and Youtube videos - works good

anyone looking for a new monitor - def. look at this model for price - screen size - colors - etc, - i didnt touch anything out of the box and leaving it alone - i have no glare - i have a very bright light over my desk and no problems with glare - screen is a shiny material - not alot but not matt either like the other one -

much better all around - this was a good purchase - if it lasts -

now i hope my new espresso setup will turn out to be a good purchase also - i had to order it ASAP - in a few days i have it - have to make do with Stove top espresso - i havent had that kind in over 20 years i think - dont like it - either that or nothing for next few days - xmas came early for me :dance
expresso

Postby expresso » 05 Dec 2017, 23:09

rlnguy wrote:I'm a bit late to reply, but one trick I have used several times, for both Phillip head, and hex head screws, like this, is to get a tube of valve grinding compound, at an auto parts store. It's like toothpaste, with carbide granules in it.
Put a little on the tip of the driver, or slot in the screw, and then unscrew normally. The carbide grit bites into the driver tip, and the screw.
I done this dozens of times, and have actually broken the tip off some pretty high quality screwdrivers-but they didn't slip out of the screw..........
good luck

thanks for that info. always good to know for the future - i gave up on it before i really break it - since it works and i believe its the grinder thats giving me the issues - i ordered a new setup - so i will test it again with the new grinder - i may be suprised - the machine may be fine actually -

either way i wont be trying to remove it - will ebay it and let them know about it - have extra parts and Naked portafilter handles - baskets etc, - it will be a good deal for someone else to enjoy i am sure - price wise also -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2017, 01:45

I think it should be test flown. And videoed. :worship
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Dec 2017, 05:11

rlnguy wrote:I'm a bit late to reply, but one trick I have used several times, for both Phillip head, and hex head screws, like this, is to get a tube of valve grinding compound, at an auto parts store. It's like toothpaste, with carbide granules in it.
good luck

like this one ? would i have to mix it with water or just use it as is ?

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80037-V ... B000HBM80M
expresso

Postby expresso » 06 Dec 2017, 05:14

Burgerman wrote:I think it should be test flown. And videoed. :worship

would be fun i am sure - - i bet the screw would still be in there and everything all over the place - cant wait to test new grinder with old machine -

if it does work fine - would be interesting then - - meaning its the grinder - then i can focus on that - still have to make room for new machine - means i have to sell old one -
expresso

Postby rlnguy » 06 Dec 2017, 22:43

Expresso-that's the stuff.
It is about the consistency of toothpaste, just a little dab is all you need.
I've had mine so many years, it has dried out, so I just put it into a little bottle, and stirred in a couple drops of oil, to make it a little sticky again.
I don't use it very often, but when I do use it, I've never been disappointed.
Was thinking about your project-a Phillips driver bit, in a small ratchet, probably would handle it-especially if the driver didn't cam out of the screw.
Sounds like you found another solution, though.
rlnguy

Postby rustyjames » 07 Dec 2017, 00:00

I've had success in the past using a hand held impact driver with the appropriate bit. https://www.zoro.com/proto-impact-drive ... gK93_D_BwE
rustyjames

Postby expresso » 07 Dec 2017, 00:34

thanks for the suggestions - i may still give it a shot - depends how i feel - that can change - lately its been back and forth - this time of year stresses me out
expresso

Postby expresso » 07 Dec 2017, 00:43

rustyjames wrote:I've had success in the past using a hand held impact driver with the appropriate bit. https://www.zoro.com/proto-impact-drive ... gK93_D_BwE

good to know - not sure i even want to invest any more now - i made the mistake of already investing on new handles and other items for the machine which now i will be just giving it away when i sell the machine -

its too bad - i was going to upgrade to the newer model of my machine but because of the only US Dealer who carries this brand - i cant deal with him so i went with another brand model - which isnt bad either - and the total cost of both new machine and new grinder was about the same as the machine only -
expresso

Postby expresso » 08 Dec 2017, 03:01

new setup - now to dial it in - may take a bit of time - but i realize i feel like i am starting to get sick - starts with headache and lost of taste -

making it hard to dail in the shots with tasting - the one in the middle is the new machine - and new grinder to left of it - grinder is an upgrade -

machine - not so sure - but well see - seems like it will pull a good shot - i tested it with a few shots today - but compared to my old machine to the right -

the steam wade is not as durable and feels more flimsly - - a few things feel more flimsly to me - i guess thats were cost comes in - its half the cost of my old model -

but new model does have a decent water block boiler - smaller but heats quicker - larger basket 58 mm compared to 57 mm - dosnt sound like much but does make a difference - wider basket to fit the coffee grinds in and even it out nicer - etc, - so far it seems as if it will be OK for time being -

i was hoping it did Pods just as good as grinds - it dosnt - most dont - its either one or the other that works well - never had a machine that did pods good -

so its grinds only - has 2 year warranty - i think i will ebay my old stuff - and later get a new machine only - same as old but updated model - with PID for water temp control and pressure guage - i can see the difference in materials - new one isnt bad at all for the cost and eaiser for the girls to learn and work - have to retrain them again -

horriable with out espresso -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 08 Dec 2017, 11:22

You only live once.

Send it back, get one of these:

http://www.1000espressos.com/images/mac ... A%20XL.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 08 Dec 2017, 17:12

Burgerman wrote:You only live once.

Send it back, get one of these:

http://www.1000espressos.com/images/mac ... A%20XL.jpg

you must be reading my mind - haha - i will keep the grinder - i like it better - but i am still open with the machine itself - will use it a few weeks to see - if i do return - i will be upgrading to the new model of my old machine Lelit brand again

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-pl41 ... d-w-gauge/

i am almost considering it again - its not the machine i dont like - its the dealer i have to purchase it from - i will see how the next few weeks work out - new machine seems eaiser for the girls to use - not as imtimitaing as the other one - Steam arm on new one is flimsy feeling compared to my Lelit - knob to open it etc, same plastic feeling - water cover on top - drip tray etc, - but the unit isnt bad itself - group head i like at 58mm - i bit wider thinner all around compared to Lelit at 57 - and deeper handle - handle grip on lelit is better -

weight and feel both similar - both heavy brass coated - biggest deal is half the cost of the lelit - and seems so far to be Ok pulling shots with grind beans - these are consider entry level home units - they can run very high in costs and grinders can and usually cost more than the machine - its most important to get the grind right - or else dosnt matter what machine you use -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 08 Dec 2017, 17:55

Dont drink coffee. But I steal the beans and float 5 or 6 on my black sambuca and set fire to roast the beans.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby motoman » 09 Dec 2017, 15:02

expresso wrote:
good luck

Yup thats the stuff, use right out of the tube. It will give you a little more purchase on the screw.
motoman

Postby expresso » 09 Dec 2017, 17:43

motoman wrote:
expresso wrote:
good luck

Yup thats the stuff, use right out of the tube. It will give you a little more purchase on the screw.

i cant see how it will work - but i may just give it a try because i am curious now - so let me understand it better - you see the picture of the screw - i would just take this stuff - fill the screw with it and then use the correct allen key which would be 2.5mm - - i use that one and it would unscrew it - - theres nothing else i need to do ?

sounds too easy - but i try it once i get this stuff - i am doing some testing on both machines now - - not finding major Pros with the new machine as i was expecting - making me reconsider it - and return new one - will try again later - with different grind settings - doing both machines with same settings and same coffee dose - working my grind down to fine and finest it can be - then work it up corser - to compare - i feel my old machine is doing a good job but the taste is being affected from that screen i need to remove - clean and replace with new one -
expresso

Postby rlnguy » 09 Dec 2017, 22:48

I'd use a really short screwdriver, or an insert bit, in a small ratchet, so I could put some pressure on it to help hold the driver in the screw, that and the grinding compound, would be about my best shot to get it out.
Are you sure there isn't a nut on the bottom side?
rlnguy

Postby expresso » 09 Dec 2017, 22:56

will try it - no theres no nut - its that screw only - i have to see if i have a small rachet set - may not have a small enough socket or screwdriver tip to make it fit in there -
expresso

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2017, 05:57

Got new machine - very nice - now the fun begins to dail in the grind - dose - level tamp and pull a shot - one of the hardest things to get correct and usually is never 100% - -
then i have to retrain my girls the steps - which of course they wont get correct most of the times - or think its not important if they dont follow the steps etc, - i normally train and watch first but at some point - they be doing it on there own - - oh also the scale to weight the dose - - what i found is they many times dont Tare out the cup they grind in - or the handle - which then gives a false amount of grinds - all down hill if they do that -

i got the vaulve grinder compound and will give it one last try to remove the screw on old machine - if it fails - i decided i just ship it back to them and have them do it- clean it - replace screen - test etc, - will be worth it if costs is not alot - they may find other things wrong that i am not aware of - if its just the screen and cleaning - should be fine - then i have a back up machine if anything -
expresso

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2017, 05:59

i feel like a junkie with out the espresso - :D
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2017, 17:25

Just eat the roasted coffee beans in the black sambuca shot glasses.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2017, 17:33

BLACK Sambuca works best with

3 or more coffee beans. Let it burn till the turn white...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2017, 17:42

never done this - is this a real thing that people do ?

i have chewed on bare roasted beans just like that - i have added some in my coffee at times - instead of sugar - right now the hardest part is to dial in the whole process and teach each one of my girls the importance of doing each step the same way each time once its dialed in - if and when its done correctly - will be a nice shot of espresso -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2017, 19:09

Real thing?

Yes for many years we do a row of them on the bar after beer and have one or 3 each! The beans get roasted but are bitter, and the drink is sweet and gets warmed up so matches it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2017, 19:23

Burgerman wrote:Real thing?

Yes for many years we do a row of them on the bar after beer and have one or 3 each! The beans get roasted but are bitter, and the drink is sweet and gets warmed up so matches it.

nice sounds good :)
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2017, 19:36

After beer, tends to make you sleep well after the 3rd or 4th one too. drunk2 urinal
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2017, 19:44

Burgerman wrote:After beer, tends to make you sleep well after the 3rd or 4th one too. drunk2 urinal

i still have some Moonshine whisky to try - almost afraid to try it :lol:
expresso

Postby rlnguy » 09 Jan 2018, 18:37

Just found this, haven't tried it........

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/ ... elease.pdf

From the description:
"LOCTITE® FREEZE AND RELEASE™ is a special mineral oil
formulation to free rusted, corroded and seized parts. The
shock-freezing effect will cool parts instantly down to -43 °C
and cause microscopic cracks in the layer of rust."
rlnguy

Next

Return to Anything