Shins

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Shins

Postby greybeard » 13 Oct 2018, 13:17

I'm beginning to hate my shins! They are so exposed to injury when using a chair

Recently I have either dropped something heavy or something heavy has fallen over and each time my shins have taken a hit causing bruising and wounds that takes ages to heal. The latest shin wound was my own fault entirely, but that doesn't make it feel any better!

Something in my workshop got caught round the joystick, propelling my shin (at high torque) into the spindle of a large bench vice. The skin was punctured, bled like a stuck pig, and a huge black lump instantly appeared. Rapidly the bruise spread up and down the lower leg and severe cellulitis, pustules and swelling developed from foot to knee. It's bloody painful.

Now on my second 7-day course of flucloxacillin and phenoxymethylpenicillin and if no further improvement by Wednesday it's off to hospital for IV antibiotic drip.

I guess these this is familiar to all chair users who like to "do stuff". Sticking out in front, as they do, shins are always likely to suffer. banghead Think I may invest in some footballers' shin pads!
greybeard

Re: Shins

Postby Burgerman » 13 Oct 2018, 13:46

I usually fold a large towel so its about 4 thicknesses as padding, and put it on my knee and over my legs. Since like you I batter and bruise my legs otherwise, and worse I drip solder, leak paint or acid, or generally get covered in metal swarf. If it doesn't damage my legs, it gets between legs and melts the cushion, or punctures the gel part... Been ruining myself and my cushions, and my chairs and carpets for years. I have special tatty chairs for dirty jobs. Its covered in crap, paint, and descaling acid from a couple of weeks ago after a small pipe burst! Its all part of the fun. The same fun that means every tool, or part you need, is on the floor under your wheels all day long in your way and no way to pick it up... Running over it and ruining it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 13 Oct 2018, 14:02

This is how I get over the tools-on-the-floor problem. It's held in place with rare earth magnets, one bolted to the picker-upper and a strong on on the armrest upright. No idea why the pic is sideways!
Attachments
IMG_1685.JPG
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 13 Oct 2018, 14:12

This is another invaluable gadget that is always attached to the chair underframe. It's had a stronger magnet super glued to the stock original. Now picks up even heavy stuff.
Attachments
IMG_1687.JPG
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 13 Oct 2018, 14:41

I have broke many!

Also I have grabbers in every room. Because inevitably that is the first thing I start running over! My German shepherd dog used to pick those up for me. "Get your lead!" and pointing did the trick. Dead keen, thought he was going out for a walk.

When he was a puppy I trained him to remove the washing from the dryer or washing machine. Which was something he was very keen on. Which is great fun when you are trying to LOAD it... He thought it was a marvelous game.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 13 Oct 2018, 16:22

The cheaper ones tend to break easily. This brand lasts a bit longer because the end sections are thicker/stronger.

Think you miss that old pooch a lot. When are you going to get another? 3 months ago we got what was said to be an 8year old Staffy from a local rescue centre as we lost one of ours back in January. He was a compromise as I wanted a big dog and the missus wanted something smaller. Can't imagine being without him now. He's a little cracker and since we've had him our 12 year old bitsa has livened up a lot. Can't believe he's 8 though. Acts like a pup still. Always tries to kill the garden hose and the vacuum cleaner! Here he is:
Attachments
IMG_1609.JPG
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 13 Oct 2018, 16:26

Yes I miss him. But I dont miss walking him miles in freezing winter, black road salt and muck up the walls when he came in and shook himself dry, etc. So swings and roundabouts... :cussing Or picking up those dog eggs... :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything