EV charging stations poping up all over

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

EV charging stations poping up all over

Postby Burgerman » 13 Oct 2018, 18:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station

I pass 3 of these things going into my town. And obviously going back too. Just wondered if they may be some use to us.

Does anyone know how they work, and if they can supply DC and at what voltages? And how does it decide?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: EV charging stations poping up all over

Postby Gnomatic » 24 Oct 2018, 02:44

Don't know. But this year, I'm really starting to notice Tesla Superchargers all over the place.(their cars as well) And this summer, when I was did a road trip cross country, many hotels had at least a few lower power Tesla destination chargers. Other branded charging stations are popping up as well, but none nearly as prevalent as Tesla's from what I've seen here in the US.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 24 Oct 2018, 10:34

There are Tesla ones here, but not many yet. But there are generic street ones in car parks etc all over. Seems a shame we cant make up a cable and use them on a just in case basis. But they have some unknown to me voltages, options, and 6 pin round connectors... If I can get 240, or 440, or 24, or 60 or whatever, in AC and / OR DC and know what I have I can make up a charge connector or something.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby FourLions » 24 Oct 2018, 11:08

Hear is a link that mite lead you to more info mate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChargePoint
Loving my Quickie F55s every day i use it :)
FourLions

Postby Burgerman » 24 Oct 2018, 17:51

Mmmm. But no tech details...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby FourLions » 25 Oct 2018, 16:11

i'll do some serching in abit got to pop out :thumbup:
FourLions

Postby FourLions » 25 Oct 2018, 17:15

Charger types lots of them , not going to be easy as yet mate

Type 1

This is a single-phase plug that allows a maximum charge of 7.4kW. It’s predominantly found in Europe, although some cars such as Kia Soul EV feature a Type 1 connector. Some home and public charging units come with Type 1 connectors, although there are no public charging stations that only provide Type 1 cables: as long as you have a public charging cable, you should be able to charge anywhere.

Type 2

In 2014, the European Commission also ruled that all public charging stations must feature a Type 2 connector or connecting capability – ie so owners with a Type 2 plug can connect. This is why new electric vehicles and plug-in vehicles sold in the UK feature Type 2 sockets and often come with a Type 2 cable included. Most home chargers available for purchase today also feature a Type 2 connector.

Commando

This style isn’t very popular, as it was featured on cars such as the Ford Focus EV and other lesser-selling electric vehicles.

Some public charging stations feature this connector, but they are rare.

CCS

This is a rapid DC charging connector, developed by a consortium of German and American car makers including VW, Audi, Porsche, General Motors, Ford, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. CCS stands for Combined Charging System, and it’s the favourite among European manufacturers as well as some Asian makers such as Hyundai. These are available for use only in public charging stations with a rapid DC charging capacity of 50kW. Your car must come with a CCS socket to be able to use the rapid chargers

CHAdeMO

Whilst CCS is a rapid DC charging technology developed by German and American manufacturers, CHAdeMO is its Japanese counterpart. Developed by Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi and a host of electrical appliance firms, CHAdeMO is Japan’s answer for rapid DC charging connectors. It also works on 50kW power and, again, cars have to feature a specific CHAdeMO socket to be able to use the connectors provided at public charging stations.

The good news is that all rapid DC charging stations that supply CCS connectors also supply CHAdeMO connectors.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-qu ... ectric-car
FourLions

Postby FourLions » 25 Oct 2018, 17:25

Type 2 connector most common one i think

https://www.google.com/search?q=electri ... m3ERBrIMJM:
FourLions

Postby Burgerman » 26 Oct 2018, 07:27

Yes, 240v AC with 3 phases. And a neutral, 16A. So we can just use 1 of the 3 phases, and neutral, to give us a power supply. But no DC. So we would need a full charger. heavy or slow -- you take your choice... Or a power supply and a pl8, impractical. So pretty much useless.

Also useless on all but the smallest EV cars too. 7kw max. So takes some 4 hours to 6 to charge a miserable cheap limited range EV thing.

A Tesla for eg has an 50 to 100 kwh battery depending on spec. So that would mean 7 or 15 hours at that charge rate! :clap
No wonder Tesla are fitting their own real high powered superchargers is it! And they and the likes of BMW are looking at double this Ah in the future.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby FourLions » 26 Oct 2018, 09:08

i hope you can work Something out in the future :)
FourLions

Return to Anything