powerchair build. Help?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

powerchair build. Help?

Postby arkansaspaul » 04 Nov 2018, 22:48

Ok guys. im new here. Reason being, and I apologize if this isn't the place. But! my friend, who is recently paralyzed from chest down. Has a quantom q6. But... knowing I build scooters and mopeds. wants me to build a 50cc gas powerchair thing. and I have no idea about the electronics involved in the steering of a powerchair. I have a trike design in mind. but cannot go any farther until I figure something out on that situation. Thanks guys.
Any help is appreciated.
arkansaspaul

Re: powerchair build. Help?

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2018, 00:51

Steering can be many ways. But almost all normal chairs have 2 DC motors, and steer like a tank, via electronic mixing and 2x speed controllers in a common housing. Does that help?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 05 Nov 2018, 11:51

This might give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKw3digD3FM
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2018, 14:22

3 wheels is always good!

youtu.be/QQh56geU0X8
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2018, 14:25

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » 05 Nov 2018, 17:28

Wheelchair control systems can have a servo module which can be used to steer with a linkage. Whether you need a wheelchair control system I don't know. Probably only need throttle control, steering and a method of operation depending upon the drivers level of disability. Probably closer to a scooter than conventional power chair. Type of use will enter into it, I can't see a 50cc petrol engine being accepted indoors.
MichaelB

Postby Mechniki » 15 Jan 2019, 12:57

You could never use an engine that uses petroleum based fuel indoors, you may be able to use propane (thinking of indoor forklifts). I stopped considering making a 4 stroke engine/generator some time ago. A 2 stroke would be too loud. You could in theory if building your own frame, using the frame as part of the exhaust tube or box steel, bafflers, mufflers and re-direction so waste is pointed to the ground. But indoor you would need batteries.
However in recent years, combustion engines have become more refined largely due to motor sports. So you could make a small enough generator to fit in one battery box, and fit two smaller batteries in the other battery box. Whilst outdoor have the generator constantly charging the batteries, switch it off to go inside, use the batteries, then outside again restart the generator.

Incidentally replace one of the battery boxes with an aluminium/aluminum - as a 33cc chainsaw running for 7 hrs melts the plastic with it's exhaust.
Mechniki

Return to Anything