Computer died - dosnt boot where we go again

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Computer died - dosnt boot where we go again

Postby expresso » 03 Dec 2018, 05:05

This is becoming a common issue every year around this time i have a computer problem

My desktop again - its been acting a bit flakey- video - i figure my video card is cheap and on its way out maybe - not a big deal - i figure i just swap cables to intel chip video and leave it alone when it dies -

its been working all day - i left it alone went to sleep and never woke up now - black screen - monitor has power - but i dont get a post or nothing

i tried cable on different connections - HDMI - Display Port - and intel mother board by passing video card - nothing - i cant remember which keyboard keys i used to enter the menu before booting into windows -

delete key , f12- nothing worked -

i tried my rescuse disk - nothing booted on any of my CD rom drives - i tried USB key - nothing

i shut it all off - reset Cmos - and switched over to 2nd Cmos - - nothing - i get A9 - code showing on my board and thats it -

the board is an Gigabyte Z77 - same one as Steve i believe - i think my OS got damaged and my HD may need being replaced i feel -

but i cant even install anything - or it may be my Board - which i replaced once before already under warranty -

any ideas or suggestions - i am about to google the code -

thanks
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Computer died - dosnt boot where we go again

Postby expresso » 03 Dec 2018, 06:10

Video Card - that was it - i tried just disconnecting it - but i needed to completly remove it - clear Cmos and connect the DVI cable to get it to post and reset to stock settings - then i shut it down - and used the display port cable again direct to the board intel graphics - and all good back up and running

cheap video card - but i did notice now thats its removed - the motherboard that it clips onto - the locking latch at the end was weak and didnt really seem strong. so that could have been lose the whole time - or not a good contact - it was screwed down also - most likely just video card died

i may replace it - if i did - would using the second connector on the board work just as well ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Dec 2018, 10:53

2nd connector may be slower on a non SIi or crossfire type board. But if it were mine I would remove every card, every connector, and blast everything with de-oit. Then re insert everything a few times, properly. And buy a modern branded video card like a nvidia 1060, 1070, 1080.

I would also fit new cmos battery, and update all firmware on cards, and motherboard bios. Call it a "service".
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 Dec 2018, 17:28

i cleaned it up a bit - but the card was so full of dust stuck in there between the fan etc, - it was fine for a few years or maybe more - nothing special

i am going to leave it without a card - not waste money on this system - i can use the second slot - feels better - or maybe it was just loose in the first one from the last time i cleaned it up inside - it was moved around etc, - could have gotten loose

either way the card was so full of dust - its caked in there - no i see no reason to get a new card with a fan on it just to collect dust..

this is where a liquid cooled card is best also - besides being cooler all the time - cleaner also - easier to spray air around it and thats it -

i though i had bricked it - or the OS got corrupted - HD etc, - but turns out video card - and nothing worked till i removed it - used a DVI cable first after reset Cmos -- booted - then changed over the Display Port cable and all worked fine - now to put it back under my desk - and go back to my 4.5 settings and leave it alone with no video card -

takes longer to do video files - thats about it - no big deal - are all Batteries the same for these boards - do you have a link to them ? maybe i change next time
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Dec 2018, 18:27

Dont know about your board but many take 2016 or 2032 batteries.

Try game play and you will see why fancy cards!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 Dec 2018, 19:30

well it was very dusty on the card - caked in there - i cleaned it up - take apart front panel to clean filters in the front - pain in the ass to remove and put back - when building - you have to choose your case wisely - i used the detox spray on the connectors and reinstalled video card same spot - its running now so maybe it wasnt sitting well on it and dust - it must have been - cant see why it would work now if it wasnt that -

i leave it on my desk for today and then put it back under it if nothing happens - next setup - i want a smaller light case - and no hard drives inside - just on board M2. for drives - no fan controllers - no dvd drives - i want just the bare stuff in the case - i may not even get a video card - i dont play games - so not sure its even worth it ?

with the new intel Chips - there on board video is getting better each time - it wont replace a dedicated video card for gamers - its a pain to take it apart each summer to clean up inside - with video cards - the fans are the biggest issue i think - they will always get clogged up with dust
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 00:11

With a decent filtered positive pressure case setup you wont get any dust worth worrying about. Mines been running 2 years 24/7 and theres not enough dust to see where you ran your finger on the inside. Its trapped in the filters. And those get washed out every 6 months.

And my 1070 grafix card is water cooled... Along with the 4 core 8 thread 5ghz CPU with a big 3 fan cooler on the top of the case. Silent too. Runs at just a few hundred CPU cycles when idle, at really low voltages unless its worked. Fans turn so slow you can count the rpm yourself unless you actually work the thing. And the board has 2x 512gb M.2 drives on board. And 4x 1TB SSDs hidden away around the rea side of the board. No cables to see either with a decent case thats got good cable management. Mines a pleasure to look inside, super neat. And solid smoked glass sides looks cool inside when lit.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 00:22

My case.
Mine is black anodized, 1/8th inch aluminum, black interior.
You get, gunmetal, grey, white options too. Trust me the video doesn't do it justice. It looks like 500 dollar cases when built.
Mine is an older model but basically the same... I would buy another tomorrow.
They do a smaller version for smaller boards.

This is basically how mine looks below. No wires! And a 55 inch OLED tv as monitor.

youtu.be/GgQ-DrrO3E0

youtu.be/gcNsHS2U8RM
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 00:37

i am back in action so no rush to build another just yet - maybe if this hangs in there another year - i am looking for a smaller case next time around - the same one you have but theres a mid tower version or smaller compact - with fits a smaller board size - Mini ATX i think - i dont even want HD inside anymore - i want to keep it light so if it has to be moved - they can do it - liquid cooled -

just the Video card - i may or may not get one - and just use the intel on board video - i know its not as good as dedicated - but would keep my case light and spacious being a smaller case - i dont really game - may not make a difference to me - and should be much better then i have now with a 750TX card - nothing special

my case has filters - just a pain to get to them - i almost broke the whole front panel - i may not try that again -

will use the largest fans i can fit on the case - and thats it - water cooled CPU of course - curious what Gen. 10 CPU Intel will do - if it can at least turbo to 5ghz - that should be an improvement for me - i stick around 4.5 now - with just a little added volts
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 00:41

6 SSD hard disks (inc two M.2 drives) weighs the same as mouse!!!

These cases are quality. But you wont like the weight. Alloy yes, but thick, heavy, and two heavy smoked glass full sides. But I wouldnt get anything else!

Watch the videos, at least the 1st one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 00:45

i like them but i think there is a smaller compact one also - the case would weight the most and PSU - thats how i like it on the next setup - unless i find a different case thats lighter -

case is too huge for me - dont have that room to sit it and admire it that way - what i would like to see a case made where you can view it from the right side - with all the hardware on the left side - since i have my case on my left of me near wall - all cases are made with the hardware on the right side - would be nice to find one that can be used on the left side
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 00:51

All the other cases I ever saw were lighter. But if you want a good case then it is what it is. Lighter means flimsy and plastic sides, etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 00:57

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074W5GQJ3/ ... _lig_dp_it

i like this one - i am just concerned about space to work - and never purchased a small MB - etc, - i like to keep it simple as can be this time around - cooled and fast - M2 drives - 32 gig at least memory -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 00:58

If you think on board graphics will run a game thats worth playing you are in for a big shock. It cant even keep up with my 4k monitor surfing... It starts redrawing the screen as you scroll in stages. If you watch movies for eg, a 1070 at about 500 pounds is the lowest spec card you will need. A 1080 is required for modern games for eg. Remember your next monitor will likely be 4k.

Have a read https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... n-your-pc/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2018, 01:17

I just built a new rig. Finally retiring my 2500K system. The new rig is Ryzen 2700X based system with. Also includes a GTX 1070 and a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO, all stuffed in a Corsair Crystal 280X case.

Decided to go AMD this round. Local PC part shop selling them too cheap to pass up. AMD's next gen Ryzen chips coming out in 2019 should be something to keep an eye on. They will be manufactured on a 7nm process. Intel's latest chips are still stuck at 14nm tech. So who knows, I may upgrade as soon as next year.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 02:16

how hot are those AMD chips now - how do you cool yours - water cooler or Fan ? if i can wait till next year - i consider AMD also - what MB did you use - did you go Micro or Mini ITX
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2018, 03:05

Haven't tried to overclock yet, so haven't been paying much attention to temps . I have a 480mm x 240mm all-in-one water cooler on it. My case can only accommodate micro atx or mini atx. I wanted a smaller footprint for this system than my full tower. I put a micro atx board in mine(barely fits!), a relatively cheap Asrock B450 thats discounted more since I purchased the already cheap 2700x with it.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 03:23

thats what i am shooting for also in the next setup - small compact - - was it hard to work on being so compact ? with out OC - how are the temps - was it alot cheaper than Intel chip - 6 core chip ?
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2018, 03:34

A ~$100+ less, not including a cheaper motherboard, and another discount applied when purchased together. Not an online deal.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 03:54

ok i see - i see when the time comes - prices always changing - but i do want a smaller compact setup this time

do you know if they make cases with the hardware is mounted on the other side of the case rather than the right side - ? i never seen one before - i would like that so i can see inside mines while keeping it on my desk near wall - instead now the window is facing the wall - would be nice if it was the other way around
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 04 Dec 2018, 12:40

I have one of these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CompuCleaner ... 1699577302 It soon blasts away dust and cobwebs :thumbup: Also handy for keeping my chair free from dust, just give it a blast over once a week.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 13:03

You may think I am a little OTT but I use my petrol leaf blower. Remove front cover and filters, and sides, open window. And full power! A little dust cloud leaves, and I blow it out of the window. Gets any dust out of impossible places. Its a Makita 4-stroke. Sounds like a honda 50...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2018, 17:22

steves1977uk wrote:I have one of these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CompuCleaner ... 1699577302 It soon blasts away dust and cobwebs :thumbup: Also handy for keeping my chair free from dust, just give it a blast over once a week.

Steve

looks good - i am going to get that one also - i hate those Air Cans - i must have wasted 3 of them - wonder why i never though about this before
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2018, 19:14

Burgerman wrote:You may think I am a little OTT but I use my petrol leaf blower. Remove front cover and filters, and sides, open window. And full power! A little dust cloud leaves, and I blow it out of the window. Gets any dust out of impossible places. Its a Makita 4-stroke. Sounds like a honda 50...

Interesting. I have one of these.

56v, its an excellent leaf blower. Never used it to blow the dust out of a PC, but I like the idea! I use it for lots of things though, turbo charging a charcoal grill, blowing the dust bunnies out from underneath furniture so it doesn't need to be moved when cleaning, drying various things off. Now will use for PC's as well. :thumbup:
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2018, 19:33

Especially cars and painted surfaces.

If you have a pristine new waxed vehicle, and want to keep it that way then you need to wash and rinse with rainwater from barrels (no chemical salts or limescale, to form as it dries), And to dry it without scratching you need a cool day with no direct sun, and a leaf blower. This way it blasts all the water away, leaving the thing shiny and polished as before. So no need to use wash leathers, polishing cloths, etc. So no fine surface scratches, and way faster.

Heres Brian drying my van!

Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything