Windows update

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Windows update

Postby steves1977uk » 09 Feb 2019, 23:59

Here's the classic start menu that I use... https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... start.html I find it easier to navigate than Win10's start menu.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Feb 2019, 11:31

download/file.php?id=10220&mode=view

I actually prefer the one above - once properly configured as here!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 17 Feb 2019, 00:50

Burgerman wrote:http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/download/file.php?id=10220&mode=view

I actually prefer the one above - once properly configured as here!

How the hell did you get the battery monitor to show in the task bar? I've tried everything I can think of without success. The net seems to indicate that others have also been unable to find it in 10 but I couldn't find any solutions. Give us a clue please, John.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 17 Feb 2019, 02:47

Right click task bar > Taskbar Settings > turn system icons ON/OFF ...
Right click task bar > Taskbar Settings > select which icons appear in the taskbar > tick new power icon...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 17 Feb 2019, 14:20

You wouldn't believe how incredibly stupid I feel right now! :cussing

Because of my chosen font size, the relevant part of the task bar settings page was off the screen of my laptop- and I failed to notice the scroll bar on the right. banghead banghead What a twat!

I now have a power icon. Thanks John. cheers
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 17 Feb 2019, 19:49

Did you also fail to notice the tick box that stops the scroll bars from hiding?

Ease of access > display > automatically hide scroll bars > OFF/ON ????

Trust me it takes me 2 WEEKS to fully configure windows in absolute detail. Because you keep finding more stuff wrong... Then it works properly! THEN I save a backup! And never delete it.

You literally must go through every possible screen and configuration. For E.G. I hate that stupid lock screen. And want my login page black. And my shutdown page plack. And I want it to display drivers etc as it boots, and as it shutsdown. And I want a dual boot setup even on my laptop. 4 actually, if you include the essential Macrium... And the strelec boot USB stick. All very complex in a modern EFI boot system.

Also only have the files and parts of windows loaded you NEED. And same with logging (turn it all off and theres shit loads) and also only run the services you actually want. Boots faster, uses less CPU, and less memory, so battery run time on a laptop is longer etc. Properly configure networks, sharing, remote desktop to main PC with wake on lan, also deletion of all temp files, logs, before automatic nightly complete disk backup in 2 dfferent places. On alternate nights. (one to my desktop, via wake on lan, VIA network and one to a 256GB micro SD permanantly in the laptop. And monthly to the Strelec 256USB manually) and much more. Weeks... :roll:

Most just install and use! :joint
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 17 Feb 2019, 20:05

Want to clear some crap from your pc?

May take some time to run.

Stick it anywhere, like your desktop.

Then right click it and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. It will fail to work otherwise. It will clean a load of old update files from your PC. And may take some time... Let it end.
Attachments
clearout.zip
(390 Bytes) Downloaded 230 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 22 Feb 2019, 16:56

https://youtu.be/wgKJMsJ-6XU
This guy is a former MS programmer. This and the other video he refers to deal with the sneaky spying tricks MS have introduced into Windows 10, and ways to defeat them. Both are worth watching.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2019, 21:15

If you just install the version I am using, it does non of that stuff, doesent install new apps or updates or feature updates, has no cortana, MS store, or any metro ap stuff, and has no push to use the new edge browser as its not there, and has no push to use their search engine, or ANYTHING. Its just works.

MS Win 10 Enterprise LTSC. You do have to turn off the send usage details back to microsoft. But even thats anonymous. Also hase no flashing links, or other junk. Its designed WITHOUT microsofts money makers built in. Its just sits in the background and and lets you run your own software or the things YOU choose.

Theres also a program called https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... ws_10.html

Run this, on normal windows and everything lights up like an xmas tree.

Try it on the LTSC version and it doesent...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 13 Dec 2019, 21:35

I thought my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop was newer than it is (Blame old age). Turns out it is now over 9 years old, so for the hell of it, as it is still on the original BIOS, I thought I'd see if there was an update available.

The Dell site didn't help much but referred me to MS updates support.

MS "Update Assist" advises me that the laptop is definitely not able to run Windows 10.

This is strange as I have been running Win 10 Enterprise LTSC flawlessly on it for the best part of a year! How is that possible?
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2019, 21:46

Because LTSC is a cut down version with all the mass of garbage that would normally be running behind the scenes, all the microsoft money making and home calling stuff gone. It needs less memory and less CPU etc. And theres stll more stuff you can disable, quite a lot actually, to make it even leaner.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 13 Dec 2019, 23:52

greybeard wrote:I thought my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop was newer than it is (Blame old age). Turns out it is now over 9 years old, so for the hell of it, as it is still on the original BIOS, I thought I'd see if there was an update available.

The Dell site didn't help much but referred me to MS updates support.

MS "Update Assist" advises me that the laptop is definitely not able to run Windows 10.

This is strange as I have been running Win 10 Enterprise LTSC flawlessly on it for the best part of a year! How is that possible?

Here's the latest BIOS for your laptop... https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en ... piron-1750

Hell I even run Win 10 Pro 64-bit on my Inspiron 1545's without any issues! These are just test laptops. :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 14 Dec 2019, 19:07

All Windows 7 support ending in Jan 2020.

See below:

https://youtu.be/Lu5ubIcs_H4
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 14 Dec 2019, 21:24

steves1977uk wrote:
Here's the latest BIOS for your laptop... https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en ... piron-1750

Steve

Thanks Steve. That's the one it came with. I thought there might have been an update since 2011. Obviously not.
greybeard

Previous

Return to Anything