Rivet Nuts?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Rivet Nuts?

Postby Scooterman » 28 Jan 2019, 12:02

Have you ever used these in the M4, M6, sizes?

Apparently you don't HAVE to use a river but tool, you can use two spanners and a spring washer to pull them up.

I didn't whether to buy steel or aluminium? I'm not planning on hanging anything heavy off them and thought aluminium might be easier to pull up using non-dedicated tool?
Scooterman

Re: Rivet Nuts?

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jan 2019, 12:50

Used them before. You can do it without special tool. Use steel in steel. They tend to work well if installed well. Or they can spin when corroded and you cant then get the bolt out. So always grease bolts...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 28 Jan 2019, 20:20

Thank you BM. I bought some aluminium ones as I want them for the scooter bodywork and aluminium is strong enough for what I plan to mount. They were only £5.95 for 100 wide flange aluminium m4,m5,m6,m8. But I might get some steel ones at a later date as they're handy to have.
Scooterman

Postby LROBBINS » 28 Jan 2019, 23:28

The problem with aluminum in steel is not strength, but possible corrosion because of contact of dissimilar metals. If kept dry, will most likely not be a problem. One thing that you can do, as well as greasing the bolts, is to put a little epoxy around the outside of the barrel before inserting and pulling the rivnut. Just make sure to not get it into the threads. Glad you mentioned pulling them without the dedicated tool and dies - I hadn't thought of that, but it's obviously possible and I have only U.S. #8 tooling so not much use here.
LROBBINS

Postby rlnguy » 29 Jan 2019, 16:33

The "trick" is to keep the rivnut from turning while you pull it to set it.
I have done it several ways, and recently ran across this site with several ideas.
http://www.homemadetools.net/site/searc ... ation+Tool
Somewhere I picked up some aluminum rivnuts that included a mandrel to use with a pop rivet gun, to set them.
Can't find a brand on them, though.
rlnguy

Postby Scooterman » 30 Jan 2019, 16:43

LROBBINS wrote:The problem with aluminum in steel is not strength, but possible corrosion because of contact of dissimilar metals. If kept dry, will most likely not be a problem. One thing that you can do, as well as greasing the bolts, is to put a little epoxy around the outside of the barrel before inserting and pulling the rivnut. Just make sure to not get it into the threads. Glad you mentioned pulling them without the dedicated tool and dies - I hadn't thought of that, but it's obviously possible and I have only U.S. #8 tooling so not much use here.

rlnguy wrote:The "trick" is to keep the rivnut from turning while you pull it to set it.
I have done it several ways, and recently ran across this site with several ideas.
http://www.homemadetools.net/site/searc ... ation+Tool
Somewhere I picked up some aluminum rivnuts that included a mandrel to use with a pop rivet gun, to set them.
Can't find a brand on them, though.

Thank you, the epoxy resin idea is good. The rivet nuts are for mounting ekectrical connectors and other items on the plastic bodywork of my mob scooter. I've bought a this selection box of shakeproof washers which should come in handy for stopping the river nut spinning as I'm tightening it. The washer should bite good into the aluminium. I didn't just buy the washers for the rivet nuts, I'm really short of shakeproof washers although I have read that threadlocker has superseded shakeproof washers?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1937807957
Scooterman

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 18:04

I am tardy, Sorry.

I have used clinch nuts and rivnut's. I bought a kit when the seating of my GPV rivnut's in the frame came loose. The aluminium nuts are much easier to use than the steel ones. I needed the ones for a 5mm screw, I did try stainless steel clinch nuts; first. Having then needing to make extension arms for the riveter as I just didn't have the strength to clinch the nut. So switched to aluminium nuts.
Then last year I purchased another clinch nut kit for imperial sizes as I needed a 1/4 UNC for a monopod attachment on an LED inspection light. But found all the mandrels the same as the metric kit :(
So after using the 6mm clinch nut, I rethreaded the clinch nut to 1/4 UNC
Mechniki

Return to Anything