Gadget

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Gadget

Postby martin007 » 03 Mar 2019, 19:32

Hi.

Once again I turn to Burguerman's photographs.

gadgets.jpg

Gadgets like that would be useful to me.
What's his name?
martin007

Re: Gadget

Postby Burgerman » 03 Mar 2019, 23:03

Grabber.
Helping hand.

Useful to me too. Theres one in every room, one in my van... One hanging outside. And one in the garage. Everything I touch ends op on the ground.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 03 Mar 2019, 23:50

Any advice on buying one?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 04 Mar 2019, 00:12

Yes, test some. Many are rubbish. And some are too long. Etc.

Ebay, mobility shops, the last 2 I bought were hanging in a garden centre.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 8&dpr=1.25
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 04 Mar 2019, 00:29

martin007

Postby martin007 » 04 Mar 2019, 00:32

martin007

Postby Scooterman » 04 Mar 2019, 09:34

I use a bamboo cane with a book expoxied in the end. Them picker-uppers always break.I

And they'rere like crutches, in that they're difficult to stand up in end.I

I have a small hook in the ceiling over the sofa and over the bed and hang my hook-eyed cane from it ;)
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 04 Mar 2019, 13:29

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grabbe ... ns-2010875

These are good. 1 pound each if you can find a homebase store with stock. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grabbe ... ns-2010875 Get 10. I got 1 from them a few years back. Now they are 5x cheaper! :argument
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 04 Mar 2019, 17:23

I use a bamboo cane with a book expoxied in the end. Them picker-uppers always break.

Can you upload a photograph?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grabbe ... ns-2010875

These are good. 1 pound each if you can find a homebase store with stock. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grabbe ... ns-2010875 Get 10. I got 1 from them a few years back. Now they are 5x cheaper! :argument

Only one Pound? :shock: :shock:
martin007

Postby Scooterman » 05 Mar 2019, 10:17

The end of an old fishing rod. Fibreglass much stronger than it looks. Picks up me socks, jeans, jumper, spoons, flicks curtains open/shut, flicks light switches on/off, trips up cat, drags furniture closes, pulls back manual chair when rolled away :cussing
I've had it years and works for me, even take it on holiday, be lost without it.
Might not work for others, but we're all different...
Attachments
CC8BA4A4-0680-4BCD-95E3-12FBED7CB3D3.jpeg
Scooterman

Postby terry2 » 05 Mar 2019, 10:38

Burgerman wrote:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grabber-reaching-tool-99p-at-home-bargains-2010875

That's where I got mine from :)
terry2

Postby martin007 » 05 Mar 2019, 19:31

That's where I got mine from :)

Do you have a photograph?
martin007

Postby flagman1776 » 06 Mar 2019, 18:12

I have an assortment of pickup tools...
I like the ones with the flat metal springs & suction cups pictured above. I have one that folds in the middle but it's inferior to the solid handle ones... it has a plastic lock where it folds but is not reliable.
I bought some cheap ones from Harbor Freight but they didn't operate smoothly enough to be useful to me.
I use a cane.. reversed to hook under my knee or foot to lift them (a screw added to the rubber foot to keep it from pulling off) & sometimes to retrieve dropped objects by dragging them close enough to reach. I added shrink tubing to the foam rubber hand grip as shoe abrasion were taking their toll.
I have several telescoping automotive pick up tools.
I have various home made tools made from a dowel with a hardware store hook screwed in one end. I use one to pull my car door closed & open the mailbox door from the car. Others stashed in different places.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby martin007 » 06 Mar 2019, 18:46

I have an assortment of pickup tools...
I like the ones with the flat metal springs & suction cups pictured above. I have one that folds in the middle but it's inferior to the solid handle ones... it has a plastic lock where it folds but is not reliable.
I bought some cheap ones from Harbor Freight but they didn't operate smoothly enough to be useful to me.
I use a cane.. reversed to hook under my knee or foot to lift them (a screw added to the rubber foot to keep it from pulling off) & sometimes to retrieve dropped objects by dragging them close enough to reach. I added shrink tubing to the foam rubber hand grip as shoe abrasion were taking their toll.
I have several telescoping automotive pick up tools.
I have various home made tools made from a dowel with a hardware store hook screwed in one end. I use one to pull my car door closed & open the mailbox door from the car. Others stashed in different places.

Can you upload photographs of the gadgets?
martin007

Postby Mechniki » 09 Mar 2019, 12:03

https://www.helpinghand.co.uk/
I use several different types. The 'ranger' with added aluminium strips (riveted to the ends) is perfect for getting dvd's off shelves and putting them back
The 'street master' I have a long one that I have added a magnet to and have that attached to my storage heater in my hallway. A shorter version of the 'street master' is the 'Tidy Jon' which I keep one of on my wheelchair, in an arrow quiver (removed the centre stitch and plastic separators)
I have a folding 'classic pro' long, in my wet room. I have a small folding 'classic pro' also on my daily chair (in one of the in vehicle clamp downs) and another folding 'classic pro' long on the opposing handle in another arrow quiver. I also have a long nosed forceps on a magnetic hook on the backrest of my wheelchair, using the keyring of the backrest quick release as a sheath.
I have two 'handigrip's' in my kitchen, and I use those for putting shopping etc on higher shelves where weight becomes an issue, as I can use both hands. I find that in a pinch I can use the pair to change the odd light bulb.

My smallest easy reach which I keep on my chair, the string has broken many times, but the helping hand company has no quibbled sent replacement strings when needed.

In my bedroom I have two easy reacher's by other companies, one is supposed to be for cleaning fish tanks, but has alligator type grip and is very useful for picking up socks or compression stockings. The other has an attachment for dressing aids.
I used to have one like the one hanging on the extinguisher from BM's picture, which is for really small stuff like pins, but I ran over it
Mechniki

Postby Burgerman » 09 Mar 2019, 12:22

Also if you have a decent sized dog it well worth the effort to train him to bring you anything you say.

Mine naturally brings a ball back for you to throw for him. Or he did. So you reward the returns part. And shout pick it up or get it as he does so. After a bit you can then throw anything. Then you only need to shout "get it" and he looks for things you may have thrown to return to you. Eventually you can just point and shout and he will bring you anything not nailed down for his expected treat...

Treats that actually work. Cook some liver. Chop into hundreds if 1cm cubes. Keep in a plastic resealable bag in your pocket. The dog will do anything for one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 09 Mar 2019, 17:50

Mechniki wrote:https://www.helpinghand.co.uk/
I use several different types. The 'ranger' with added aluminium strips (riveted to the ends) is perfect for getting dvd's off shelves and putting them back
The 'street master' I have a long one that I have added a magnet to and have that attached to my storage heater in my hallway. A shorter version of the 'street master' is the 'Tidy Jon' which I keep one of on my wheelchair, in an arrow quiver (removed the centre stitch and plastic separators)
I have a folding 'classic pro' long, in my wet room. I have a small folding 'classic pro' also on my daily chair (in one of the in vehicle clamp downs) and another folding 'classic pro' long on the opposing handle in another arrow quiver. I also have a long nosed forceps on a magnetic hook on the backrest of my wheelchair, using the keyring of the backrest quick release as a sheath.
I have two 'handigrip's' in my kitchen, and I use those for putting shopping etc on higher shelves where weight becomes an issue, as I can use both hands. I find that in a pinch I can use the pair to change the odd light bulb.

My smallest easy reach which I keep on my chair, the string has broken many times, but the helping hand company has no quibbled sent replacement strings when needed.

In my bedroom I have two easy reacher's by other companies, one is supposed to be for cleaning fish tanks, but has alligator type grip and is very useful for picking up socks or compression stockings. The other has an attachment for dressing aids.
I used to have one like the one hanging on the extinguisher from BM's picture, which is for really small stuff like pins, but I ran over it

Can you put up a photograph?
A picture is worth a thousand words.
martin007

Postby Dan » 09 Mar 2019, 18:13

I found this make to be a little better than most but they all break sooner later. I have chewed a few up going through doors in my chair. :oops:

By careful of the really long ones. They are a bit to much.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helping-Hand-C ... r=8-5&th=1
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 11 Mar 2019, 11:22

We had a long wooden prop, for the clothes line. Stupid dog though he would grab it and run around. Like a big stick. Wasnt very heavy and he did the same with bits of tree while we are out fow a walk. He tried to run in through the front door at speed. Obviously that didnt work out well. He summersaulted over it and landed in the hallway. Looked confused - obviously didnt quite understand why he came to grief. No rocket scientist.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby CPguy » 23 Mar 2019, 17:33

@ Burgerman: You have a new dog now?
My rides:
1 BM2/BM3 with 120 A R-Net and Odessey (Lithium in 2016)
1 SKS Swiss VIVA (spare, as only NF22 size battery)
2 Progeo YOGA (for traveling)
CPguy

Postby Burgerman » 23 Mar 2019, 18:44

No. ?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 18:18

martin007 wrote:
Mechniki wrote:https://www.helpinghand.co.uk/
/quote]

Can you put up a photograph?
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Maybe
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0202.jpg
Used in bedroom
thumbnail_IMG_0206.jpg
Used in Hallway, magnet taped to it, so rests on steel paneled heater
thumbnail_IMG_0207.jpg
Folding, 28" hanging from rail, in bathroom
Mechniki

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 18:26

and
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0211.jpg
Side of ROMA Marbella, with a magnet hook holding Mosquito forceps, folding 18" Easy reach in the clamp down, and folding 26" in the arrow quiver hanging on the back of the chair (in the quiver is also a s. steel shoe horn)
thumbnail_IMG_0233.jpg
NHS Spectra XTR2 HD - displaying "Ranger" to left
thumbnail_IMG_0234.jpg
Side view of Spectra
Mechniki

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 18:32

more
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0210.jpg
The other side of the ROMA Marbella, with a 'Tidy Jon' in a quiver, along with water bottle, mobile phone holder, penknife holder, pens etc and a very large Neodium magnet holding a brass wire brush. two cob torches
thumbnail_IMG_0208.jpg
Two easy reachers in the kitchenette both 30"
Mechniki

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 18:39

and lastly
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0250.jpg
and lastly, the easy reacher's etc moved to a viewable location. at rear of cushion, S, Steel shoehorn, then folding easy reacher's and Tidy Jon
Mechniki

Postby martin007 » 26 Apr 2019, 21:25

Thank you very much Mechniki!
martin007

Postby Mechniki » 28 Apr 2019, 15:44

:thumbup:
Mechniki

Postby flagman1776 » 28 Apr 2019, 20:03

The gadget I use the most is a cane. A cane is no longer useful as a primary support devise... I really should use a walker or a fixed object like a counter for support. I DO use a cane for a secondary support devise... while hanging onto the car... to getto the trunk for the rollator or opposite side for the scooter.

I use cane... reversed... to lift my feet to get into a car. Under a knee, to lift so I can get my feet under me. I have modified all my canes with a screw through the rubber foot into the metal cane, so the rubber doesn't pull off & gives me something to grasp. Yes, I use a lot of pressure.
I use the cane to hook behind a dresser, to help me sit up if I slip down in my chair. I get my shoes partly on... then hook the cane under the shoe / foot... and lift it toward me so I can reach to finish putting the shoe on.
I use a cane as a big hook devise to drag things to me... like my flip phone that fell off the bed, went under... eventually the retrieved it with a cane.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Anything