Indoor home use chair

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Indoor home use chair

Postby flagman1776 » 05 Apr 2019, 02:29

Is there such a thing as a light weight indoor chair? My thought was manual... it would be more of a moving rest spot / way to conserve energy in my home. Many MSers DO use a manual chair just this way... BUT my left side is so impaired, no real use of that side... that I'd go in circles. I've seen a few on line but they seem unrealistic.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: Indoor home use chair

Postby Burgerman » 05 Apr 2019, 04:03

Same as the outdoor chair. I see no advantage in a special indoor one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 05 Apr 2019, 08:46

Really depends what your seating needs are.

I've always had separate indoor and outdoor chairs as anything capable enough for my off road use is too bulky for everyday indoors. Increasingly difficult to buy anything simple though and I've no idea what is available in America. My first indoor one was basically the same frame as a manual folding chair but had smaller motorised rear wheels instead of the push ones.
foghornleghorn

Postby LROBBINS » 05 Apr 2019, 08:58

Don't know if it would be of any use for you, but one hand drive setups are available for manual chairs - they have a cross shaft from the "good" side to the other and two drive rims on the good side.
LROBBINS

Postby rlnguy » 05 Apr 2019, 16:32

Lenny mentioned one arm drive, with 2 push rims on one side and a connecting axle to the other wheel, as an option.
In my experience, they require good coordination, strength and dexterity. They are also heavy.
There are some lever dive chairs that combine steering and propulsion, in one handle.
They generally, require strong wrist and arm.
Many stoke patients use a manual chair, with a lower seat-and use their one "good" foot, and hand, to propel, and steer.
Leg muscles are bigger and stronger than arm muscles.
Of course, depending on how tall you are, you might do the same, with a normal height chair, as well.
Good Luck.
rlnguy

Postby flagman1776 » 06 Apr 2019, 16:00

Yes, this is my dilemma. My legs are both impaired, the left more than the right. My left hand & arm is very weak. I have decent use of the right... I do everything right handed. Could I manipulate a double push rim? Probably not very far.
An ordinary folding (manual) chair like we've borrowed at doctor's appointments would be useful to have available. I probably ought to watch the local used market.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 07 Apr 2019, 20:45

New manual chairs are not much money. A used one would have to be cheap to be worth bothering with. I'm a total rookie. What should I look out for?
flagman1776

Postby rlnguy » 08 Apr 2019, 14:43

PM sent
rlnguy

Postby biscuit » 12 Apr 2019, 09:20

I have MS and I use a Vienna indoors when walking is too tiring. The manual chair was more of a pain than it was worth in so many ways. Though it was very car- and mother-friendly. My Vienna, I removed the heavy black seat and replaced it with a plastic remploy seat removed from its legs, because I take that chair out in the car and the plastic seat is a few kg lighter for my mom to lift. I keep the footplate folded in and have a sheet of fabric woven through the footplate holes for my feet to get comfortable purchase on. I've never spent money on a manual wheelchair and the Vienna chairs are cheap as chips and more compact than other granny chairs, especially with the footplate folded back.
PS I forgot, I've spent about 150 quid on manuals, when I couldn't move at all so my folks had to push me, so I got a terrible transit chair for that emergency, which now sits in the garage; and later a rather nicer used big wheels chair with removable arms that also sits in the garage because I never really got my arm strength back to use it much. That was in 2015 and I'm still waiting for NHS wheelchair services
:lol:
Memory lane...
biscuit

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Apr 2019, 15:41

Appreciate the input. PM sent.
flagman1776

Postby Mechniki » 22 Apr 2019, 16:48

erm. it may be easier to put handrail everywhere and pull on them with your good arm, whist sitting in a manual wheelchair

Have seen a few double hand rimmed wheelchairs (never owned one) with either a scissor connection (folding chair) or a straight axle to the opposing side. They had the one sided rim type for people suffering from stroke at a day centre. I tried it, when my tyre (greentyre) was forcibly knocked off my Quickie GPV by a badly steered electric chair (i liked Greentyres up to that point) (solid tyres). At that point I invested in another 2 pairs of wheels, spinergy and another set of GPV's with the rubber hand grip but all 4 new ones had pneumatic tyres.

A couple of years ago, maybe five years, I saw a lever action one sided, almost looked like a steering lock, that fitted on both handrims on the one side.
Remembering back when my arms were failing but I still wanted to use a manual chair, I looked at a clip in to wheel lever action "Nudrive", but found the ratchet would strip when trying to climb a pavement (where the advertising vid claimed it could climb steps). Though that could have been the age of the demonstrator. Now Nudrive do a complete chair, but costs excess of £2K. So electric would be cheaper.
Mechniki

Return to Anything