one hand rollator walker brakes

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

one hand rollator walker brakes

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Apr 2019, 22:55

I can only use one hand to pull the brake on the rollator. Going down a ramp, I need to use brakes for every step. (Roll walker ahead, hold brake, step up to it, brace, roll walker ahead... rinse, repeat.)
There is a "kit" so either hand can control both brakes. It replaces both cables, has some cross over devise, adds 2 more lower cables... oh, yes, crazy expensive.
I'm thinking of using the braking devise at the wheel... adding a single cross over cable to the other side... using that to pull the opposite brake lever. One cable & a bit of hardware. Yes, it would only work in one direction... from my good side to my bad. It would be fairly easy to do on my old walker since the brake is exposed where the lever touches the tire... It would require at least one clamping collar or other devise to hold the cable shield.
My newer walker that I use most frequently on the ramp the brake is enclosed inside the fork. Would require more work.

Ideas from my creative friends?
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: one hand rollator walker brakes

Postby iainsherriff » 12 Apr 2019, 09:16

Matt (son) is chair user.
MS fairly advanced
Invacare TDX SP2 NB
TGA S4 for dog/kid walking
iainsherriff

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Apr 2019, 15:37

It might just. I'll have to study it.
Thanks for the idea!
flagman1776

Postby Scooterman » 12 Apr 2019, 16:04

Rollators are awkward going down hill, even with two brakes they seem to snake. If it is a steep hill I sit on mine and feather both brakes and use feet as a drag weight. But if you only have strength in one hand you'll probably still veer off course.
Scooterman

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Apr 2019, 17:22

You are very observant. I have to be very stiff & tight, planting my feet & bracing or the rollator could roll away from me on the down slope... and dump me. It makes it a longer slower process and my "Minutes on my feet" clock is running so when I get to the car, I don't have the energy to deal with any minor occurrence.

I think that if I had control of both side's brakes, I'd not have to brace so hard to keep it from twisting away from me.

Uphill, I can almost do the whole 30 foot of ramp with no brakes except for the turns... but of course, I must be ready just in case.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Apr 2019, 23:01

The typical brake cable... the brake lever "pulls" the top of the cable. In turn the bottom of the cable pulls the lever towards the adjustment thread at the end of the shield.
The problem with using that as the trigger for the second brake control is it would be opposite! The actual brake part is typically a lever... a seesaw in effect. If I go equal distant from the pivot, on the brake side of the lever... I can reverse the direct to "pull" again. Threading the inter wheel cable over to the other side will give me the correct pull direction again... just has to be rigged in tandem.
My old walker with it's exposed brake lever should be relatively easy to add this to.

My new walker with the wheel and brake inside a fork... is going to be more difficult to work with. And the new walker is my "ramp" walker.
flagman1776

Postby Scooterman » 12 Apr 2019, 23:34

I have a cheap rollator (that I fitted a tray underneath the seat), for indoors. The tray is for carrying stuff. I sometimes walk with it, or sit on it and scoot round the flat (apartment) with my stronger leg.

For outside I have a eBay bargain 'as new' classic Troja rollator bought for about £30, but have never really been able to use it outside properly because my legs aren't really up to it, athough I live in hope.

Anyhow, I found this https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/mobi ... hand-brake I don't know if it would give you an alternative idea for your rollator? Maybe you could buy or fabricate something similar that might work for you?
Scooterman

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Apr 2019, 00:01

Yes. I'm trying to get to the same place by different means. That's not a bad price though, if it includes all the cables required.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Apr 2019, 01:55

All I can find on the US sites is crazy prices. The item mentioned above... I'm not sure what is included & if it is compatible with different brake levers.
flagman1776

Postby iainsherriff » 13 Apr 2019, 11:32

Matt (son) is chair user.
MS fairly advanced
Invacare TDX SP2 NB
TGA S4 for dog/kid walking
iainsherriff

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Apr 2019, 18:13

Yes, that's what I want to do. Every time I find something that might work... I choke on the price. The last one I turned up was $65.

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes
flagman1776

Postby rlnguy » 15 Apr 2019, 18:16

outside the box thought-maybe a bicycle shop could make up a special cable.
I have used D's Locks on my manual chair, and they use a single lever, to control both locks.
Some wheelchairs also use one lever, to control the lock on the recline.
rlnguy

Postby flagman1776 » 15 Apr 2019, 22:44

I'd never heard of D's lock. Always like to learn about new ideas.
THX!
flagman1776

Postby Mechniki » 22 Apr 2019, 16:21

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheelchair-M ... ctupt=true
Drum braked caster wheels
Not what you're looking for, but would be more stable than a tyre rubbing brake, can't find a similar item on ebay.com
Mechniki

Return to Anything