Handicap Woman Arrested for using Scooter

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Handicap Woman Arrested for using Scooter

Postby expresso » 01 May 2019, 18:51

Quickie P222se - 60Ah ADD ON
Quickie S646se - 150Ah LifePo4
Quickie P220 - Indoor Chair
Bounder Plus - 180Ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby scootntootn » 02 May 2019, 19:50

Getting back to the topic. I believe they mistook her mobility scooter for an electric scooter, as mentioned. And then both sides overreacted. The law they looked up is new in 2018.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/6619.pdf
Irritatingly female..
Scooter: Afikim Superlight SL2 and a small full size for longer trips.
scootntootn

Postby Burgerman » 02 May 2019, 19:56

Her scooter wasnt a mobility scooter. At least as far as its intended user, and the rules in the UK. Its speed. Etc. And I dont think its much different in the US.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 02 May 2019, 20:15

expresso wrote:https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/health/amputee-airline-batteries-confiscated-trnd/
airline again

The scooter IS a TravelScoot like mine. Certain of the LI TravelScoot batteries meet the current standards to fly. Not all. The batteries come with a decal stating the wattage. TravelScoot will provide FREE replacement decals for any that are unreadable. I believe TS recommends removing the LI battery & placing it in a padded carry on.

Sadly, it appears, that the gate agent refused to look at the approval paper work.
TravelScoot1 3P8S LiFePO4 Hyperion 1420i
TravelScoot2 OEM LI & charging
battery interchange adapters
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby sacharlie » 02 May 2019, 20:57

She tweets.
@jennifergayman
bet she'd rip right into ya.
Here in the USA GREED is GLORIFIED. The TOP 0.25% live off the backs of the WORKING MIDDLE CLASS.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2019, 00:28

Certain of the LI TravelScoot batteries meet the current standards to fly. Not all. The batteries come with a decal stating the wattage. TravelScoot will provide FREE replacement decals for any that are unreadable. I believe TS recommends removing the LI battery & placing it in a padded carry on.

The AIRLINES recomment that. At least the regulatory authority does. It says that the battery on portable or the typical folding mobility device should, like any laptop battery travel with the passengers so that it is monitored and can be dealt with if it turns into a firework.

As a guy that understands batteries, I would not want to be flying on a plane with ANY lithium ion type batteries. They are dangerous and unpredictable. If their typical BMS fails, for e.g they can burst violently into flames. Same with a cell fault internally. So they are all unsafe on an aircraft, even in the cabin.

Of the other hand, a massive container load of lithium ion phosphate cells (LiFePO4) as we are using here weighing tons IS safe. They dont burn. Well they do, but only in the same way engine oil does. They are full of oily electrolyte. If you heat up a cell with a fire, this can boil out. And like cooking oil, it can be ignited if it is heated up to a high enough temperature. But this means that its no more dangerous than engine oil or a bottle of olive oil. And safer than lead bricks.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 03 May 2019, 01:39

I just checked TravelScoot USA web site to be sure, rather than trust my memory. The aluminum cased 420wh TS battery pack shown, is not currently approved for air travel; it was under former regulations. There are 2 yellow plastic cased battery packs of 151 or 274 WH which are approved for air travel currently. I believe a traveler is allowed to carry 2.
The picture shows him on a TravelScoot... if that is the same battery, then the gate agent is correct. I believe the limit is 300wh per battery.

I don't know why a LI pack would do anything... while it is disconnected. Not being charged or discharged. Protected from physical damage.
TravelScoot1 3P8S LiFePO4 Hyperion 1420i
TravelScoot2 OEM LI & charging
battery interchange adapters
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2019, 01:47

Because they are not inactive internally. And can develop sudden shorts and heating issues. And boom. And because BMS systems comprise of transistors, code, and mosfets. All which can fail open, or shorted, or code problems... Again, they can burn down your house or bring down a plane as you sleep.

Hence the mobile phone fires and recalls, same with laptops etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 May 2019, 21:33

Quickie P222se - 60Ah ADD ON
Quickie S646se - 150Ah LifePo4
Quickie P220 - Indoor Chair
Bounder Plus - 180Ah LifePo4
expresso

Previous

Return to Anything