Detailing

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Detailing

Postby Burgerman » 07 May 2019, 17:25

Just paid a man 90 pounds to come to my house to detail my van... Been here all day.

Inside, outside, even the engine bay looks brand new and gleams! Every nook and cranny polished,. and waxed.
The photos dont do the thing justice. It was never this 'new' when it was new. And this van is now 12 year and 5 months old! :cussing

But its never looked as shiny, and clean ever.
Attachments
810_2655.JPG
810_2656.JPG
810_2657.JPG
810_2658.JPG
810_2662.JPG
810_2665.JPG
reflection.jpg
This is my front wing...
:o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Detailing

Postby Gnomatic » 07 May 2019, 22:44

That looks really sharp!
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2019, 00:00

Thanks.

It actually looks better than new. Which was 12 years ago!

The first pic was a reflection from the car. #

It is of course now RAINING!!! :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 08 May 2019, 10:57

Worth every penny by the look of it. It's a credit to you. :clap It clearly demonstrates the benefits of being OC - (there's nothing disorderly about it!) :D
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2019, 11:09

I get more OCD as I age. I am driving about without braking in case dust goes on wheels, and swearing at red lights.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 08 May 2019, 13:35

There's lots of coatings you can get nowadays, like ceramic and other stuff.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2019, 01:48

Yes, thats coming on monday. After a power polish, clay bars etc. And 2 new slightly undersized non legal number plates. From https://www.a1showplates.com/ Same as fitted but those are showing age/faded.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 09 May 2019, 13:38

Still looks well :thumbup:
last a good few years yet. :clap
Not worth replacing only if your bored or loaded czy 8-)
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2019, 13:48

Parked next to a brand new one today. Mine was way better inside, and outside. Even my ramp is as new. All mat black and looks unused.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 09 May 2019, 15:27

I would be proud of what setup you have looks brand new. OCD :D :dance :dance :clap
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2019, 16:44

It has some advantages but you are never happy! :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2019, 16:55

I dont think I can be that OCD. Just look at the state of my bedroom!!! It is driving me nuts. :cussing :fencing banghead banghead

www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/current-state.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 09 May 2019, 17:33

Nice video BM :thumbup: I like looking round your place, it's interesting.

Btw,with two green bins where do you put the non-recyclable stuff like polystyrene, etc?

PS post piccy's of van when new plates are on :thumbup:
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2019, 18:04

Dont know what you mean.
Those are the green standard one size fits all bins. EVERYTHING goes in those bins.

They are the largest of the 3 standard sized waste bins used for domestic waste around the country. I persuaded the council to give me the larger bin, and two of them! My neibours all have one, and half as big. They hate me. :lol: :clap

They did try getting me to recycle. They brought me 3 small ugly multi coloured bins. They called them 'recycle bins'. So I did.

I recycled them straight into the big green ones. Theres no way I am sorting through rubbish to suit some nutty green envoiro mentalist.

New plates arrived today. You might have spotted them on top of a tyre, on top of 2 cushions, on top of my tool chest... God this room needs some reorganising. :cussing

It needs what we call here, gunging out. Too much gunge. So tomorrow or the weekend will be gungout day. And the same in the kitchen. There is a big warm carpeted garage awaiting.

Not shown on that vid downstairs, was a large wet room (black floor!) the other side of that door in my bedroom next to the tools. And 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs all fresh and decorated that I obviously dont use... And a nice big garage that is carpeted and heated for storing 3 lifts, 2 more chairs, and a load of other stuff. You NEED all that space if you are disabled, and require equipment like lifts, powerchairs, and to be able to maintain them. Even space outside for carers and freinds to park, and a van with a side ramp is actually required. To do things sensibly without a fight.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 10 May 2019, 14:56

Lovely bungalow in video :thumbup:
What heats your garage :) Run off house central heating
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2019, 17:40

Yes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2019, 17:44

On bed today. Plates will go on van saturday. Same as old ones, but the sun has ruined those. So yellow faded, black is grey etc. Front one is kind of misty. Dont think they will look much different with a camera though...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 17:50

NEW Plates fitted, van still clean and shiny!!

Large pics. 36 Million pixels. So it might break your computer... :clap

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/cars/810_2671.JPG

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/cars/810_2672.JPG

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/cars/810_2673.JPG

On the other hand, my neibours across the road rather put me to shame...
One is driving a 67K brand new 500hp BMW M3 with added boost.
And the other is driving a 100K porche carrerra 4 gts... With 14 inch wide tyres.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/cars/810_2674.JPG

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/cars/810_2676.JPG

But mines cleaner. banghead
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 12 May 2019, 18:08

Nice photos BM :thumbup:

I'm sure i had one of them Porsche for my scalelectrix?

BINS!!!

We have a large green bin for recycling and a large grey one for non-recycleable rubbish.

I have a large plastic box under kitchen worktop that i throw yogurt pots, fizzy cans, etc then when full carry it outside on my lap and hoof it all into the green bin.

We also have a small foodie waste bin that we're supposed to throw food waste into. I DON'T it smelly and unhygenic. I got grill by the bin man on why i don't put one out for collection. I told him i have a compost heap, that screwed him :ak47 (i don't really :oops: )

Btw, is there an insurance premium on LHD vehicles, and how easy are they to drive on uk roads?
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 18:13

As an ex drag racer I have driven a lot of left drive vehicles. When I get out , and go into a building and someone asks me if x car was left or right hand drive, I have actually had to go out and look several times over the years.. You do not even notice the difference after the first few days. It matters so little that I actually prefer left drive in the UK for a few reasons.

Only real difference is pay barriers, and drive through at mcdonalds! -- I reverse now. Seriously. Honestly its never a concern. You wont even notice a week after you bought it.

Insurance?
With agreed replace value 45k, imported, left drive, aftermarket rims and tyres, and the 10 inch floor drop, and ramps, hand control, 3.8L V6 motor (bigger than UK version) and my driving record which has had the odd bad mark on it (banned 5 times for rather exiting speeds in V8 cars, bikes) and now one current speed endorsement. Not to mention I wrote off a few bikes, not least the one that landed me in a chair, albeit 22 years back now.

This years insurance cost, was £343 from fish, inc breakdown, legal, windscreen etc, protected 9 years no claims, to match an online supermarket
quote from 2 or 3 alternatiuves. So I dont think it makes a blind bit of difference!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 14 May 2019, 17:07

Insurance quotes...

The first two refused on grounds of mods, and no thatcham aproved alarm.
The 2nd row, were hard work on the phone, and so I never got to the bottom of their cover with mods, wheels, etc.
The elephant and diamond both happy with all mods in writing. And agreed value.

Fish insurance then matched it...

So 343.84 paid by card. Includes, lega, agreed value, new for old, protected no claims.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 14 May 2019, 17:12

My battery always sits at a perfect long term float voltage of 13.4V in daytime from march 1st to oct 1st.
The rest of the time its set to 13.8V as the temp is low, and not enough sunlight. An external charger is connected at 13.5V a month and a half either side of 21st december. (shortest day)

So kept toppped up over darker winter days by the wall.
And the other 9 months by the 50 Watt solar panel, and charge controller in the rear.
Attachments
solar-13.4V.jpg
This is set to 13.40 Volt on the charge controller in the rear.
panel.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 15 May 2019, 18:46

Hi BM, sorry for the late reply I've been trying to make the most of the sunshine.

I never knew insurance could be purchased with an agreed 'Replace Value'. That's worth knowing if I ever get back on the road :thumbup:

Have you got a dash cam? If not would you consider getting one?

PS: Your insurance is very good for that spec of vehicle + replace value.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 01:37

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 May 2019, 17:23

4 HOURS cleaning and polishing the engine bay. Note Odyssey...
Evert pipe, connector, and surface is clean as new.
Bad pic from security cam...
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 May 2019, 20:05

Bonnet closed... All shiny and OCD under there. And new mobil 0w40 full synthetic, and filters etc.
While I was polishing stuff I got out my clamp meter, and did some residual drain current testing.

This vehicle has a solar panel on on top, and a charge controller in the rear that holds the battery at 13.4V all day every day. Because it needs it. This was turned off temporarily.

Because like all these adapted minivans theres a large battery drain 24/7 from something. This drain current on my van 141mA continuous. Its higher when first turned off, and the van then takes 12 mins before everything goes to sleep leaving 141mA draing the battery. Then it never drops below 141mA. Without solar panel, that means its new 68Ah Odyssey battery will be 100% dead in 20days...

To be exact thats 68,000mAh batt div by / 141mA. Thats 486 hours... Or div by 24 hours = 20 days. But its not that simple. A battery thats around 50% discharged is unlikely to be start a motor in winter. So thats 10 days. And a less than full battery deteriorates fast. And in winter the battery may be less than 100% to begin with if you are doing short trips all the time. So maybe 7 days, and it wont start.

These is all quite 'normal' to many of these ramp vans. Hence the solar panel and charge controller I addeda few years back.

My investigation as to the exact cause went like this.
Clamp Amp meter that measures to 1mA accuracy, over battery cables. Reading falls to 141mA after 30 mins with the van locked up and bonnet up. Remove every last fuse and relay one at a time and watch the meter. Which fuse made a difference? NONE! So Bugger. But one of these battery cables is not stock, it ONLY feeds the rear computer and the ramp/kneel system in the back behind the side panel. There ARE fuses there. Remove one and the residual current drops. They all feed the Rollx computer. This is pretty much identical to the ones in every make of dropped floor minivan. Guess what. It draws 119 mA on its own. And never fully sleeps. So the VAN takes an acceptable 22mA when off - which is normal.

That means it would be ok for a month or three undriven in winter. If no rolly entry system was fitted. So I am now fitting a REMOTE SWITCH with another radio button on the key fob. When I lock the van, this will allow me to also switch off the computer in the rear. So that the battery drain will drop from 141mA to just 22mA. It will go for 70 to 100 days before not starting instead of 10... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12v-1CH-2 ... 0010.m2109

So a fix... And its hard to believe this van is more than a month old. It looks and feels better than new. not only outside but underneath and engine bay and insde. And has various mods that improve it over a stock one. But it is now 12 years old. With 9k dry only summer miles! Never saw a wet road.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 22 May 2019, 08:59

Burgerman wrote:Dash cam. Dull day.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/town.mp4

Cool! That's a really good quality video. Is it like a loop where unless you save the footage it writes over the previous footage next time you use the van?
It's a good idea having a dash cam.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2019, 09:09

It can do that. Its my old gopro. Thats a compressed video. Its actually very good quality at max 60fps, 1080. But too big to post here. But it was a miserable grey day. So horrid colours.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything