AMD Zen 2

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: AMD Zen 2

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2019, 01:18

Cores are like wheelchairs. Its great to have 1. But you really need a few for maintainance reasons, backup, etc. But once you get past 4 they are all sitting there unused. 16? More cores has less and less advantage.

2 makes a huge difference. Esp if multithreaded. Adding 2 more cores gains maybe 25% more performance - on certain programs. Adding 2 more adds 10%. Adding 2 more adds 5%... Only if they are used. Mostly because almost everything you do only uses 1 core. At best, 2 or possibly 3 at a push if you use complex stuff like movie editing. So unless you are making a habit of running a bunch of programs at once that all utilize 100% CPU per thread, its all a bit OTT.
There are the odd exceptions. Like in solid 3D modeling. But again the graphics card has started to do much of the work. But very few people use that. Or can learn it...

But if they come free then... At least the benchmarks will use them all for 2 seconds.

Whats actually happened is the CPU development continues (it must or the companies go bust). And the software / operating systems we are all using has got less demanding since XP, or the same, not the other way around. And things like office or web browsing, movies, etc - all the stuff you do daily - hasnt got greedier for computing power since the days of XP either. So now all the ever faster PCs year on year, are massive overkill. The only real gains have been in SSD and fast drives. Because those things were already a problem in the days of XP. And again were the main bottleneck. Still are. Of curse 4 and now 8K graphics, and games ARE more demanding. So buying a Nvidia 1080 or whatever (about 600 dollars) is one place that is a required upgrade. If you game.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Jun 2019, 02:39

yes its true - HD memory is all getting up there now - - but if it costs the same to have 16 cores - even if not used all of them ever - why not

or save a few dollars and get the 8 core AMD - the thing is - it cost less to get a 12 core AMD than a 8 Core intel - even if you dont need the extra cores -

i agree with the wheelchairs also - i am starting to feel that way - too much to have around and take care of - and no room - chances are

3 good wheelchairs that can work for you outdoors is all thats really needed - but if you can have 4 or 5 - cant hurt :) takes up room i dont have --
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Jun 2019, 11:04

I'd say an 8 core CPU is the sweet spot for 5GHz+, adding more will slow it down. I'm looking to get the 9900K since I already have the Z390 mobo+RAM+NVME drives and SATA SSDs. But the Ryzen 3000 series will shake up Intel and get their ar$e into gear! :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2019, 14:11

Its not as clear cut as you may think. AMD may be better for heavy server use. But intel will be catching up and overtaking in say 12 months? Thats how it goes... This is why the caapitalist free market works. In order for intel to stay in business, they must compete. So they will. On price (better models for less) and on technology which I assure you will appear as soon as they can get it ready. R and D takes time and money. But they will already be 3/4 the way there. So when I want to upgrade in a couple of years time, I will take a look at the best bang for the buck, then! And the best for home use. Thats probaby fewer cores at higher speeds. All depends on pricing at the time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Jun 2019, 15:48

yes thats what i mean - at the moment - best bang for the buck is AMD - fewer cores or more cores who cares - at any core level - AMD is best at the moment - intel will catch up for sure - but will the cost stay lower is the question - if AMD keeps it up - and dosnt just stop here - intel has alot of work ahead - Zen 3 is coming - then 4000 - 64 Core AMD is here this year - thats another story all together - not for us home users

and they solder there chips - intel been slacking a long time because there was nothing better - they got sloppy - and overpriced - let the show begin -

what good MD are there for mini itx or similar sized MD ? i dont need all the features of many graphic cards etc, - just one is enough - at least 2 slots for those super fast MV Drives - at these stock speeds i wont even bother doing a manual OC - let it do its thing and stay cooler.

by the time i build one - stock speeds will be 5ghz already - or very close to it - its all a numbers game now - AMD has to get to that 5ghz mark because intel does - and it looks like they made it with more cores at the same time - even if they dont get used - its still a mind thing - same speed with more cores - costs less at the moment - no reason not to really consider AMD if building today -

8K OLEDS now !!! - it never ends - my 1080P looks amazing - i already see too much detail - sometimes its not a good thing if they are ugly :lol:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2019, 15:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RwpFoxHPH4

8K is a thing...
OLED is already quite remarkable. True total blacks. Infinite contrast ratio. And deeper colour saturation because of this. Not to mention no colour or contrast shift when looking from an angle. They are quite unreal. Like astonishing to see. Even 4K.

youtu.be/4RwpFoxHPH4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 16 Jun 2019, 16:15

OLED's are amazing. But I worry about burn in. Have you noticed any on yours?
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 16 Jun 2019, 17:21

i wouldnt worry much about burn in - i have my plasma for maybe 8 years now - they have settings to keep the pixels moving even when static and screen savers etc, - i am sure OLED today has even better ways to keep burn in at a Min. - it can happen - but someone with a half a brain would take care of that TV and it should never be an issue during the time you have it - i havnt heard of any users complaining so far and its been a while since they been out - not sure how long but 5 years i think at least ?

i am sure its an amazing picture - and if put side by side to my Kuro - it would blow it away easy - that will never happen so i cant compare or see how bad mines can be compared to OLED - - i still find mines amazing just the same when i view it - and its going on 10 year mark - i think at least 8 i lost track - it was the last Gen. of the pioneers before they went bust and no more plasma.

i got the M version which is a Monitor - no TV tuner - limited connections etc, - its about 90 lbs - real Glass - the stand alone is huge and heavy to hold that thing - Colors are great - again not going to compare it to todays OLED - it will lose for sure - since i still find mines amazing - i can imagine what OLED would be like -
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 16 Jun 2019, 17:53

steves1977uk wrote:I'd say an 8 core CPU is the sweet spot for 5GHz+, adding more will slow it down. I'm looking to get the 9900K since I already have the Z390 mobo+RAM+NVME drives and SATA SSDs. But the Ryzen 3000 series will shake up Intel and get their ar$e into gear! :thumbup:

Steve

9900K is an excellent chip. Pretty much all of them from what I've seen can overclock to 5GHz on all cores. Its just expensive.
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 16 Jun 2019, 18:23

Burgerman wrote:Its not as clear cut as you may think. AMD may be better for heavy server use. But intel will be catching up and overtaking in say 12 months?

Intel will likely reclaim their thrown when they start shipping their 10nm based desktop CPU's. The problem is that Intel try to do just that for the last three or four years and failing. Fabbing 10nm high performance CPU's has been a brick wall for them. They haven't been able to hit acceptable yields needed to go into production. AMD conversely got out of the chip fabbing business long ago. They farm that part out to companies that specialize in semiconductor fabrication. AMD is currently using TSMC to manufacture their 7nm based chips. Thats how AMD got to 7nm before Intel got to 10nm.

From everything I've read suggests that Intel getting their desktop 10nm based CPU's shipping sometime in 2020 is about the most optimistic timeline for Intel.
Gnomatic

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Jun 2019, 18:39

steves1977uk

Postby Gnomatic » 16 Jun 2019, 19:22

Liquid nitrogen and 7GHz will do that!
Gnomatic

Previous

Return to Anything