Rant

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Rant

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 14:37

Why are people, that make stuff so useless.

Here I am, laid in a bed full of pee yet again. Happens about 3 or 4 times a month. I use a convine (conveen?) and a leg bag, or night bag.

The ones I usually use are discontinued again. So the company sent samples. So I can choose a replacement. Whats the problem you ask? Well nothing that I difficult, but they just dont get it.

Whats up with those?
Where do I begin. The vast majority are 1.5 or 2 litre. I drink 5 litres sonme evenings. So obviously at least 3 can come back out! Soaked again, as it pushes the useless conveens off as I sleep/pee. :fencing

If that doesent happen then the useless pipe they use kinks and the same result.

If that doesent happen, the point where the pipe enters the bag, is blocked of as the stiff tube bends the soft bag. This is the most frequent. First thing I know is that I am soaked again.

And then theres the ones where the pipe comes off the plastic fitting at the end where you attach it. Not from the convene but from the tube itself. They cant be bothered to test to see that it fails when wet.

Then theres the stupid valve at the bottom. They all leak, drip, and soak your carpet as you sleep with 2 litres of urine or so. And the lever invariably gets banged during the day - esp on a legbag, filling your shoe with urine.

I see one of these cenarios at least once a week. Usually twice.

I could design a better bag in my sleep that suffers NON of these issues. But its noty possible to buy one from any of 10 different manufacturers. It makes my blood boil to think that across the planet theres literally millions of people seeing the same issues, all easily sorted. But NOBODY CARES!!!

Lets take convines. They dont stick well enough. Why? Apparently they are worried about makiung the glue that sticks them too strong. Whats more the band of glue they do add is just 16mm (well under 3/4 inch) wide. In a convine that is 150m or 6 inches long. Why?
The glue band is tiny and not that adhesive, and it only needs a small wrinkle or a tiny bit to get stuck or pulled and there we go sat in or laid in urine. Yet again. And it makes my blood boil. Are there better ones? Well over the years I tried dozens. All equally useless for one reason or another.

If you call top offer suggestions they DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Rant

Postby expresso » 04 Jul 2019, 15:58

that sucks - let me ask you something - what do you use on your Bed to protect it from these accidents that happen - do you use some kind of mattress cover - and does it work good ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 16:51

My matress would not need a cover if they made things with basic common sense! But it has. It is a blue waterproof cover that fully encapsulates the matress. As it came. No extra one, works fine.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 04 Jul 2019, 17:30

I feel your pain, I gave up on convenes after numerous episodes of lying in a piss wet bed. Had a supra pubic instead and now the very rare by passing episodes are usually down to a kinked catheter pipe. Still get blockages which cause AD but they are usually sorted by un kinking pipe or massaging pipe to move blockage down. Increasing oxybutinyn helped with the by passing but I just found out that it is linked to increased risk of dementia.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 17:52

The thing is that you wouldnt need that if only they made the damned things properly. They use cheap tubing that kinks, and is much heavier than both the conveen and the leg bag. Causeing problems where it leaved the conveen and where it enters the leg bag. There are plenty of smaller diameter and way more kink resistant tubes available such as the water and fuel proof yellow tigon tube I use on my gas turbines. And if where it went into the leg bag, the pipe was 1 inch longer with a couple of holes in the sides then that bag kink thing could no longer happen. And 101 other fixes like a valve that doesent leak and soak the carpet or that has a return spring so if its knocked it returns to shut! But they are all idiots.

Its not just this, its EVERYTHING. Look at the stupid design choices on our chairs. Or the mind numbing speed that every electric bed, or chair seat lift operates at. Life is too short. I seldome use mine because by the time its up, the reason I needed that has been circumvented by doing something different.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 17:58

Or my keyboard. Its got a stupid tiny LED to tell me the caps lock is on. So dim that its invisible unless you type a SENTENCE LIKE THIS. aND LIke this.

And its battery lasts about 30 hours of typing. So its always crying to be charged. Its got room for 10xAA batteries. So why does it use 2? Why does every battery door even on expensive DSLRs or TV remote etc have to be so flimsy that the catches bvreak off every time they are dropped?

Why does every last hose pipe fitting or spray gun, have to dribble and leak all over the place?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 04 Jul 2019, 18:51

We live in a world where mediocre is the accepted norm and the companies involved in disability amongst the worst. I have no idea how they survive, you pay £13k for a wheelchair that takes 5 months to arrive, another 5 months for a centre footrest kit and am still waiting for a slider to fit a joystick to, in any other industry totally unacceptable yet it is the norm from my experience. Rant over
wheelie junkie

Postby wheelie junkie » 04 Jul 2019, 18:57

Oh, I could of added being vent dependent and the vent pipes are push fit and blow off, it has an alarm but that can take 30 seconds before activating, as you slowly suffocate waiting for it. Pissing yourself isn't nice dying because a designer thinks a push fit pipe is OK on a machine forcing air into your lungs slightly worse.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 20:27

Put a stainless steel R clip through every joint. 2MM drill needed. Can be removed in an instant if needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 04 Jul 2019, 20:53

"Why does every last hose pipe fitting or spray gun, have to dribble and leak all over the place?"

Was moaning about this myself yesterday. Never found one that didn't need a few wraps of insulating tape to fettle.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2019, 21:06

I do that too. Then it leaks from 2 places on every 'gun'.

Why is it too much to ask that they make the connectors a little better? And sprayers and stuff that do not run down your arms or leave you sat in a puddle?

I have bought expensive metal ones, cheap supermarket ones, and every possible thing in between. And I am in despair.

Just measures the thickness of typical electrical PVC tape. 0.12mm according to my micrometer. So 2 turns means 0.24mm. Thats actually a bit tight usually. So then, se now know we really need say 0.09mm tape. Or WHY DONT THE MANUFACTURERS MAKE THE BIT THAT WE WRAP THE TAPE AROUND 0.18mm BIGGER???

Because thats too obvious. Why would they bother... :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 05 Jul 2019, 12:41

Burgerman wrote:Put a stainless steel R clip through every joint. 2MM drill needed. Can be removed in an instant if needed.

They would leak and probably set the alarm off plus some of the humidifier breathing circuits are changed weekly. All it would take is to have a twist to lock system,far too simple a solution so you rely upon them staying put and don't have the pressure too high on the vent.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2019, 14:19

Well if my life depended on it I would do something that worked. Even those R clips wont leak if you dril the hole in a size that maked them a tight push fit.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 05 Jul 2019, 14:26

Why do some (many?) wheelchair producers have their arm rests made from totally unprotected expanded foam? First inadvertent contact with a door frame and a big chunk gets torn off.

Yes. I just did it again. :cussing :cussing :cussing :cussing :cussing
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2019, 14:28

Its not because they dont know. They can look at ANY used chairs. Its because they are not interested.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 26 Sep 2019, 21:36

Conveen sheath's/urinals are the biggest crap in the world. They are designed from idiots for extraterrestrials. Their adhesive glue is weaker then honey.

I don't know if you have access to Manfred Sauer program. They have much stronger adhesives. https://www.manfred-sauer.co.uk/psure.asp

When I was use conveen, one transfer from bed to chair make them to slip off, or two leg streches. Maximum without any movement on the back in the bad - 6 hours wear + praying to not to slip off :worship
With conveen times I had to order those pee alarm with sensor just to not be soaked to throat till morning.

With Manfred Sauer BLUE (stronger adhesive), I can wear 24 hours without thinking.

As a quad my setup is Sauer BLUE + conveeen 1,5L Bag with original green hanger/bracket (it has guides for tube). For large amount of pee I connect 2 bags one after the another. From my experience these bags for 20+ years have ZERO leaks. Never.

hope this helps :)
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 26 Sep 2019, 23:32

The bags I have here and dont use for 2 reasons.
1 dont like the closing clip at the bottom, and those drip... And are hard to work with one hand as I struggle to reach.
2 they have the same damned issue where the pipe can bend the top of the bag over and prevent the pee going in the bag with a bad result at the penis end...

The convines I have not tried. Buffer zone looks too big to me. But will try them. Will call tomorrow.

But that Adapt 7730 spray glue works absolute wonders!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 27 Sep 2019, 10:43

This is hanger I use for the bag. Hanger is important. You can see guides for tube. When the bag is attached to hanger it keeps it strained and tube can't bend where tube enters to the bag.

I have three of them.
https://images.app.goo.gl/GycqHC4dG2oEiQ2F8

And second important thing is, when you disconnecting urinal from tube and connect it back, always press slightly to throw out air from the urinal. Flow will just slip into the tube.
Without throwing air out it will fill whole urinal al force it to slip off.
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 27 Sep 2019, 10:50

When the bag is attached to hanger it keeps it strained and tube can't bend where tube enters to the bag.

Thats what I use. It works most of the time... The bag gets knocked, and falls off, or the tube gets pulled and its no longer behind the clip...

Non of that would matter if the tube entered the bag 2cm and had a couple of holes in it - one each side. But thats too obvious.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 27 Sep 2019, 11:32

Do you maybe use some like this bags? With this type of valve?

https://www.google.com/search?q=urine+b ... tQ7KqiEcLM:
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 27 Sep 2019, 12:05

I use leg and night bags with a rotary valve. Some of thos can drip too. But the simpla ones dont. But again the lever sticks out and gets knocked when I carry stuff on my feet, or when someone knocks it, or when pulling up out of trousers... So I cut off most of the lever with sidecutters..
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 27 Sep 2019, 12:15

Valve of conveen doesn't have that problems. You can't it accidentally open because you have to stick thumbnail to flip it down to open.

I use this 1.5l for leg and for night in bed.
tutatu

Postby Burgerman » 27 Sep 2019, 12:28

Well thats problem 2...
I go to the pub and 1.5 litres at night is around half what I need :fencing
I was using 3 litre night bags. But discontinued. Now 2 litre. And they are regularly filled to the point they look like balloons by morning, or worse... So I have to use 2.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 27 Sep 2019, 12:53

I think that conveen have 2 litres bag in offer, but I don't have access to them. And those 2l bags have newer type of release valve
tutatu

Postby tutatu » 27 Sep 2019, 13:29

I was thinking to hookup aquarium pump to long tube direct to bathroom drain with smart plug.

And say: Ok google turn on pump

In the settings set to inching 10 seconds
Or
Attach on the bag level switch to automate the process
tutatu

Return to Anything