Advice about Stomas needed

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Advice about Stomas needed

Postby greybeard » 28 Aug 2019, 22:30

Following a prolonged flare-up of ulcerative colitis, my wife who is in hospital again, was today told that a considerable section of her colon was beyond saving and must be removed. The Stoma surgery will take place in the next few days.

I believe some forum members have a stoma, so I would appreciate any information based on personal experience, eg. what to expect, what to watch out for, what to avoid, and anything we can do to make her recovery as smooth and speedy as possible.

Thank you.
greybeard

Re: Advice about Stomas needed

Postby Burgerman » 29 Aug 2019, 04:27

Not sure how anyone can help. In all seriousness its a pain to look after. Takes a little time to get used to it. In the end it all becomes 2nd nature and wont bother her so much. And listen to the stoma nurse a lot... And of course watch diet.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 30 Aug 2019, 18:40

Good luck with the surgery.
martin007

Postby F3Head » 02 Sep 2019, 20:20

You can check out YouTube I've seen some good colostomy videos and associated hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=colostomy

I just searched colostomy and I reviewed quite a few videos that were helpful and interesting.

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby greybeard » 02 Sep 2019, 22:00

Thank you all.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2019, 23:57

What she will have is most likely to be an ileostomy though. Which is the same but different!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2019, 00:04

Whatto look out for and what to avoid?

Oily food, like makerel, or anything thats really oily makes the things come unstuck faster. Which may be bad news. Doesent mean dont eat. Just dont eat if you are going out for the day or a party!

Things like peanuts dont get digested and come through like gravel. And get under the bit where it sticks, with similar results. If you like peanuts, eat them when not planning on going out the next day.

Starch, and carbohydrate causes a lot of gas, especially initially for a few months post op.. So avoid bread, crisps, and chips in large quantities. Basically that leaves anything with a face. Thats fine by me. Great excuse to live on steaks and stuff.

Did you know that a burger and chips is a vegitarian meal?

Bread, wheat etc.
Letuce, tomato sauce, onion, and the chips, all vegetables. Chips fried in vegi oil.
Burger, made from a cow that is made from grass.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 04 Sep 2019, 01:19

Thanks BM.
They keep delaying when to operate because she's full of C-diff bacteria. They don't like that in hospitals, understandably, as it's so easily spread to others. I just wish they would get on with it because her condition has deteriorated considerably while she's been banged up in her isolation room. When they operate they will remove the entire colon so you are correct about the ileostomy. Can't fault the care she's getting though.
greybeard

Return to Anything