Mac OS... No Thanks!

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Mac OS... No Thanks!

Postby wheelie junkie » 06 Oct 2019, 16:53

Are your network/DNS settings correct? Don't have a clue how to configure them in Win 10 :D Latest OS and drivers? You'll have to delve into device manager for the drivers, Microsoft expect you to understand how the os works to get it working.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 06 Oct 2019, 17:26

No they dont. They expect the operating system to be used on a PC not running inside a virtual computer. It configures itself normally. But you CAN reconfigure 100 things better or worse if you decide...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 06 Oct 2019, 18:09

Fixed it :dance

God how I hate modern technology!!! :argument :hammer

Turns out the stupid thing was in airplane mode :cussing

Thanks for trying to help guys :thumbup:
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 06 Oct 2019, 18:45

Arghhhhhhh I hate computers!!!

Damn thing won't connect again and it's not in airplane mode. I'm connected to router but not internet :problem:

Will have another look tomorrow and check network/DNS settings whatever they are?
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 06 Oct 2019, 19:39

All mine seem fine! I can connect 2 laptops, and 2 PCs, and do all of them wirelessely to either virgin net cable, or to my new Vodafone LTE modem router. I can also connect all four directly to either one via a network cable. And I can do all 8 options via my VPN...

And I configured nothing.

Thats not helpful is it? Well in reality it is. Format the thing, get rid of the apple stuff, and run native windows on the hardware directly. IF you can get drivers that work for everything and apple have not screwed that down so that you cant. Theres ways though, even then. Take a look on the web, theres plenty of apple machines running windows only. Properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 06 Oct 2019, 20:23

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-windo ... -bad-ugly/ :thumbup: Native Windows on Mac can be done.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby wheelie junkie » 07 Oct 2019, 12:56

One of the reasons that I use Parallels rather than bootcamp is that the software sorts out networking and file sharing. Never get problems with eiher.

If Windows can see the router then it can't get a network connection it will probably be a DNS problem but I would suggest googling bootcamp windows no internet there are a lot of comments about devices and drivers. Something you never have to think about on a Mac.

For what I use Windows for I should buy a £300 laptop but can't find anything as good as Keystrokes for dwell and typing, the other advantage to using Parallels is my Mac assistive software works in windows.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2019, 13:11

If Windows can see the router then it can't get a network connection it will probably be a DNS problem but I would suggest googling bootcamp windows no internet there are a lot of comments about devices and drivers. Something you never have to think about on a Mac.

Or in windows as long as you buy decent bradned hardware. Millions of which have fully certified drivers already supported and built in. Unlike your highly restricted apple thingy

The reason you never need to think about it wirth a mac is because they only support about 4 bits of hardware! At bloated prices. Whereas in windows there is literally billions of devices supported by any driver the manufacturer of your device has written. Some of this externally written stuff, and the hardware itself, is a bit ropey... Thats the risk YOU decide to take. But much of it is not. Like the PL8 or my occiloscope, or my fluke test meter software and drivers etc. All work perfectly even though not certified and 3rd party. But non of that is supported on an apple. Thats why you are trying to fool windows into running on top of apples software in an imaginary virtual machine. Which wont ever work properly.

Just junk the apple bit, it is the useless part, and then you wont need any 'parallels' or 'bootcaps' or anything else.. Windows will run perfectly directly on the hardware. Because apple use intel, and PC x86 and x64 components today anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 07 Oct 2019, 17:06

Why would I want to use an OS that lacks the accessibility options that allow me to use a computer? I spent hours looking for Windows dwell and on screen keyboards and only one came close to the best mac software and required dwell and ONS purchased separately. If you have hand use you won't understand, you need something that is thought through, prediction along with learning how you phrase things, multiple dictionaries etc etc.

Throw in that the majority of peripherals now have IOS apps and the latest Mac OSX will be able to run IOS apps. Planning for the future which will be tablet OS driven. My mesh wifi system just has an app no way of using a browser. I'll be able to run the app in OSX you'll be stuck with having to use a phone or tablet. Apple have really moved things on over the last few years and just like they did with the GUI realise where the future is, I'll stick with their vision and benefit from using iphone, ipad and OSX working seamlessly together. That won't suit everyone but for someone who just uses and isn't interested in com ports, device manager or a shell prompt I've got all I need albeit at a price I am happy to pay.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2019, 18:11

I am not even sure what language that was written in.

But it did sound an awful lot like a load of overpriced overated apple marketing speak. But thats your choice.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 07 Oct 2019, 18:49

steves1977uk wrote:https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-windows-10-natively-mac-good-bad-ugly/ :thumbup: Native Windows on Mac can be done.

Steve

Thanks Steve I have bookmarked that page :thumbup:

And thank you Wheelie Junkie and BM cheers

But I've actually given up in frustration. I don't actually need to access the internet via Windows 10, at least not for the foreseeable. W10 doesn't run that great in bootcamp anyway. So I only use W10 for the PL8 and S-Drive software.

I did have another go this morning and it did connect to the internet for a while, then I lost it again. It was also trying to connect via ethernet rather than wifi so I disabled ethernet in network connections? Then finally I reset the network in W10. And you get a pop up box saying windows will shut down in 5 mins and delete all network drivers, etc.

So 5 minutes later W10 shut down automatically and rebooted. I thought that might fix it after I re-entered my router password but it didn't. It connects to the router just fine, a strong signal but no internet.

I have tried but I'm really not very good on computers and it's probably awful to say but I'm not that interested in them either. That's why I changed to Mac. Cos the windows OS used to get corrupted easily (my own fault no doubt) and I had to often re-install it, or do a system restore but that didn't always work. Mac OS is pretty much incorruptible that why I like it. Obviously the downside is our Mob Programmers won't work with Mac.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2019, 19:08

Alost nothing does. They havent even figured out that a mouse has a right button! :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 08 Oct 2019, 08:58

What’s Linux like?
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 08 Oct 2019, 09:28

:lol:

Dont even think about it. Its rubbish as a daily PC operating system for a bunch of reasons. But its free. But so is windows... :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 08 Oct 2019, 10:38

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html Highlights why Linux is a PITA to use! :argument :cussing :fencing

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby wheelie junkie » 08 Oct 2019, 16:41

Burgerman wrote:Alost nothing does. They havent even figured out that a mouse has a right button! :clap

They have used right click for a while not that it was needed, control and click did the same and when I had use of my hands one was always on the keyboard. You've got some outdated opinions on Apple, stop looking at the past and look at the future :)
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 08 Oct 2019, 16:43

I have, hence windows ltsc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 08 Oct 2019, 23:44

https://www.neowin.net/news/apples-ios- ... rt-its-app Looks like iOS apps on Mac OS isn't going to be too popular, especially if Apple wants to con you by making you pay for the same app twice! czy

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Gnomatic » 09 Oct 2019, 01:12

steves1977uk wrote:https://www.neowin.net/news/apples-ios-to-macos-port-off-to-a-slow-start-netflix-says-it-wont-port-its-app Looks like iOS apps on Mac OS isn't going to be too popular, especially if Apple wants to con you by making you pay for the same app twice! czy

Steve

I don't think it's a con really ..... Apple is pretty open about it!

To the credit of their business acumen, they are a trillion dollar company. ..... not from any of my $, however.
Gnomatic

Postby Scooterman » 09 Oct 2019, 08:47

Some people might not know about Mac touchpad gestures, they're really good and you don't have to physically click anything. They very much like using a smartphone in that you just have to tap the touchpad not click. But you have to enable them in settings and they're never enabled in-store.

There's more gestures available than shown in this video.

NB: a right click is just a tap with two fingers.

youtu.be/Q7vK0uhqLy0
Scooterman

Postby wheelie junkie » 09 Oct 2019, 10:57

With no hand use gestures aren't much use and when I did try to use them it was a more difficult task than learning Mandarin. Latest find in IOS13 is overlays, they are making voice control a lot easier. I'm even more impressed with how Apple are working on Accessibility, lots of thought going into the needs of people like me with limited physical ability.
wheelie junkie

Postby Scooterman » 09 Oct 2019, 19:16

wheelie junkie wrote:With no hand use gestures aren't much use and when I did try to use them it was a more difficult task than learning Mandarin. Latest find in IOS13 is overlays, they are making voice control a lot easier. I'm even more impressed with how Apple are working on Accessibility, lots of thought going into the needs of people like me with limited physical ability.

I have an iPhone SE with iOS13 and I've noticed that the speech to text option has improved. It never used to be able to understand a word I said, but it's much better now. I use it a lot as the SE is a bit small for typing messages on.
Scooterman

Postby wheelie junkie » 10 Oct 2019, 11:05

Scooterman wrote:
wheelie junkie wrote:With no hand use gestures aren't much use and when I did try to use them it was a more difficult task than learning Mandarin. Latest find in IOS13 is overlays, they are making voice control a lot easier. I'm even more impressed with how Apple are working on Accessibility, lots of thought going into the needs of people like me with limited physical ability.

I have an iPhone SE with iOS13 and I've noticed that the speech to text option has improved. It never used to be able to understand a word I said, but it's much better now. I use it a lot as the SE is a bit small for typing messages on.

It works even better with number overlays on, every tappable item on a page is given a number, you can see what you can tap and then just say "tap 8" or whatever the number is instead of having to say "tap and item description"

iphone se is small but I prefer that, I can attach either it or ipad pro to the Ram mount on my chair and tend to use iphone as a phone and ipad for messaging with either siri or voice control.

You can also use a mouse in IOS 13,I've managed to get the R Net bluetooth mouse module connected to ipad and working, just use chair joystick as a mouse control.
wheelie junkie

Postby LROBBINS » 20 Oct 2019, 17:54

I don't remember which thread had the "debate" about Apple vs. Microsoft handling of image files, so this is probably not in the right thread. I also don't want to enter into any of the MAC vs. Windows debates at all. I just thought you might get a chuckle out of piece of a message I just got from a software engineer friend:
Another contribution from me this week: Pat had copied a JPEG picture of a sensor from vendor's website to add to Xxxx Xxxxx's parts database entry for the sensor. When he uploaded the picture he was told the file was "corrupt or too large", and the picture wasn't added. The picture opened just fine on his computer and wasn't very big, so he sent an email wondering if anyone had an idea what might be happening.

When I heard about it I thought maybe there was something different about the file. But a copy of the picture was attached to the email, and it opened just fine on the new Windows 10 computer. Hmm, I wonder... Then I tried opening it on the older Windows 7 computer, and was told the file was corrupt. Aha!

So I installed GIMP on the new computer, copied and pasted the picture into GIMP, and exported it to a new JPEG file. GIMP's JPEG export settings included checkboxes for exporting EXIF (Exchangeable Image File), IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council ), and XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) metadata to the JPEG file, all for information about the setting used to take the picture. The nice thing about standards is that anybody can create one. The not-so-nice thing about standards is that if your system doesn't support one that's present, it look like file corruption. That's what evidently was happening here. So I unchecked EXIF, IPTC, and XMP in the export dialog and saved a JPEG file without them. The resulting file opens just fine in Windows 7, and was imported into the database without a whimper.

So the Chrome browser running under Windows 10 saves files with new metadata formats that Windows 10 knows but aren't recognized by previous versions of Windows. Thanks a lot, Microsoft!

Mike is probably the best C, C++ etc. programmer I've ever met, and his real work is programming industrial embedded systems, but here he is having to waste his time with this nonsense. BTW, no Windows computers, as Burgerman has said, have any problem at all with "naked" image files without the metadata.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 30 Oct 2019, 15:07

So the Chrome browser running under Windows 10 saves files with new metadata formats that Windows 10 knows but aren't recognized by previous versions of Windows. Thanks a lot, Microsoft!

The real question here is why would anyone be running chrome at all, on anything? Its a thing designed by a marketing and advertising company to track you, log everything possible so as to best market and advertise at you to sell you stuff. About half its CPU cycles are behind the scenes stuff that has nothing to do with what YOU want.

Firefox. Its better to use and its completely free of all that garbage as it isnt owned by the worlds largest advertiser. It also saves images properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 30 Oct 2019, 15:52

Of course, and my friend the programmer uses Firefox, not Chrome. However, he not infrequently has to "fix" software from another company, and in this case the developer of the sensor device he's working with had used Chrome. Unfortunately, this is not an infrequent thing he faces, especially since the small industrial outfit he's working for hired an outside IT outfit to handle their systems. Between what these "experts" do, and what Microsoft does, and bad code he inherits, he's regularly blocked and can't compile something, or can't run something, or gets BSOD (or the current equivalent), or his computer ends up non-bootable. He's the one who introduced me to Clonezilla, and, with amazing frequency, he has to restore from an image and then track down working piece by piece what reference to a non-existing folder on someone else's intranet is being referenced etc. The last one was a reference in a program (written I think in C) to a Github repository of a former employee of a supplier to which the supplier no longer has access. Luckily that reference was entirely uneccessary, so he just deleted it (the developer had put it in to "automatically" record changes at Github). I too restore from image, but it's usually to recover from my own screw up (or from having permitted Microsoft to install some "critical" update that, for example, makes my computer "safe" by blocking communication with Rachi's gaze tracker).
LROBBINS

Postby LROBBINS » 30 Oct 2019, 16:06

From another source, in Win10 Microsoft included a font used in Germany for railway and road signs and put it directly into the OS in a way that is (1) unrecognizable by most font managers, (2) blocks scripts that might look for it, and (3) can't be removed from the OS. WordPerfect included a fix for that in their version 19, but those using 18 have had to find a workaround on their own (essentially having macros make sure to never, ever try to find that font). How much you wanna bet that this essentially useless font was put there in that way, and a fix put into Word and other Microsoft products before the OS release, to deliberately break other people's programs? It won't be the first time this has happened. Many years ago MS introduced new dll's, with the patches to use them in their own products without distributing them to outside developers until after the fact. Competitors suddenly had non-working applications and angry customers and lost sales while they played catch-up. That was when WordPerfect went from being the #1 word processor to being a bit player. Had it not been that U.S. and Canadian lawyers had a large installed base of stuff that used WordPerfect, it would simply have disappeared. (And it's no longer sold in Europe.)
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 30 Oct 2019, 18:27

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 30 Oct 2019, 20:04

That's all well and good, but it will not work for the Bahnschrift fonts that were introduced as an intrinsic part of the OS with the Windows Fall Creator Update in 2017.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 30 Oct 2019, 21:50

I see what you mean. This should still work though, and only takes a few secs.

You can remove protected system fonts, but you cant do it with the user interface.
You need to delete the key in the registry.

Please ignore the nauseating music...

youtu.be/1CwVfqG_9fc
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anything