Air Ionizer Ozone Generator

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Air Ionizer Ozone Generator

Postby expresso » 03 May 2020, 03:53

A long time ago i used to have one of this units - i though it was good - for some reason over time - i gave it to my sister - i dont recall which one i had now -

i am looking to get another one - but i didnt know then that an Ozone Generator feature is not good for you or pets - but it works to get rid of the odors - and i remember having a fresh smell with it - -

has anyone else used one of these things - and did it work for you - would it be Ok to use something like this - lets say in the bathroom - ?

i was looking to use one in each bedroom also - but now reading about it - not sure if its good or not - ? i asked my sister to take a pic of make and model if she still has it - i am curious what i had -

i was looking at this one - ?

Pros and Cons ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXGQSN4/?c ... _lig_dp_it

i have the litter box in the bathroom and like to try to keep it fresh smelling - its cleaned right away after each use and some baking soda sprinkled also- works good - - i just wanted to add a little extra to it - and maybe use it in the kitchen after cooking - i hate food smells in the house -

what do you think ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Air Ionizer Ozone Generator

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2020, 09:27

I think ozone is a success of marketing over common sense.

Heres what it is. Normally in the atmosphere there is 21% oxygen. The oxygen atom doesent like living on its own. So it combines naturally with another one. Hence the natural state of afairs for oxygen is 2 atoms stuch together. Called O2. One is no good because its lonely. It needs a partner to be happy and it rapidly finds one... 3 stuck together is a threesome, called Ozone. Or O3. Those never work out, threesomes never do. So they split up. And one goes off to find a partner...

So as fast as you make your tiny microscopic bit of ozone, (O3) it reverts back to O2 as fast as it can. And it is aparantly quite damaging to many things even you. But you will be making microscopic amounts, and so all pretty much irrelivant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 May 2020, 16:11

So it doesn't work then ?
expresso

Postby farmer » 04 May 2020, 00:48

it will work but its not good for you your cat your plants plastic and many other things it wii work on smells molds and a number of other things but you need to know how to use it and the ozone generator needs to be a good one most cheap ones are scams and will not work
farmer

Postby expresso » 04 May 2020, 01:15

the one i linked to above - - would that be worth while - in auto mode - it kicks in the ozone feature for 2 min. on and then off - every so often

or would just a air purifier work better and be safer ? i want to odors to be removed - i am sure i had the ozone air purifier in the past - i was able to control the ozone feature -

i found something like this now -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXGQSN4/?c ... _lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9R9W8P/?c ... _lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4IRIWK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

size wise is something i like about these - wont do the whole apt. - but a room at least - bedroom - i was thinking maybe the ozone one for the bathroom and the others for the bedroom -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 04 May 2020, 07:51

When I see marketing bullshit it makes me cringe. Why dont people see this for the quakery that it is. Its no different to magnets, they fix everything from cancer to improved MPG in a car. Its all Bollox.

Increase Oxygen

75% of the ozone will be transformed into oxygen when it goes through the activated carbon filter and negative ion box, increasing oxygen volume in the air, reducing the ozone volume but never sacrificing air cleaning effect.

The carbon filter will work great. Without ozone! Just a fan and air. But it will need to be around the size of a giant pizza to do any good and be replaced often.

As for the "75% of the Ozone will be transformed into oxygen" bullshit - it will! Almost all of it will. It cant help it! They cant stop it! They join 3 atoms together out of the ROOMS 02 oxygen. With high voltage. And it then it rapidly returns to being 02 just as it was before they started. Nothing has changed. How exactly are they supposed to be increasing oxygen again??? :lol: banghead
They think people will fall for any old technobabble if they make it sound good! :oops:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 04 May 2020, 11:24

When I was a child we sometimes went to the funfair. Around the dodgem cars stand there was always plenty of electric sparking and buzzing - and a smell of rotten fish. My father said that it was the smell of the ozone created by the dodgem cars' electricity. I still remember it now. Ozone, he remarked, is a pollutant at ground level but a good thing to have in the upper atmosphere.

Nonetheless, pollutant or not, I bought an ozone bubbler for about £20-30 to clean my vegetables a few years ago. I never noticed any difference in the veg between washing with ozonated and plain water. Not that I would expect to see or taste any difference, as lurgies are too small to detect.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 04 May 2020, 11:40

I think when the O3 has a relationship breakdown and one atom goes off to find a different partner it doesn't care if it's a lonely oxygen atom or a fluorine or chlorine or any potential partner.

That's my knowledge of chemistry. Learned it in high school. Unless maybe the teacher was saying something else and I just invented that.
biscuit

Postby sad_vampire » 04 May 2020, 12:18

I think the idea is that the extra oxygen on the ozone would stick to one of the odour particles, making it drop out of the air onto the surface of something.

One of my air filters does have an ionizer but I usually run with it switched off. I have 3 air filters, 2 have the active carbon, the other is just a large filter.

I can see the air quality graphs from one of the air filters, and every 2 days, at about 7am the volatile organic compounds level spikes but that's what you have to accept when your bread machine runs overnight to wake you with wonderful fresh bread odours of a morning.

Current pollution levels from the traffic are pretty low, PM 2.5 being abnormally low, but the reason I run all these filters is pollen, tree pollen especially, it's like having flu for months on end (clears up if I go on holiday to Egypt or a windy west coast of Scotland).

A suggestion is to make your own air filter with a cheap extractor fan, a box and a large cheap car cabin filter. Car cabin filters are very cheap compared to the filters sold for household air filters.
sad_vampire

Postby Burgerman » 04 May 2020, 12:43

You realise of course that your dust partical is made of billions of atoms? And one loose O atom will be unnoticed... Its a bit like your spec of dust sticking to an aircraft carrier. Again, all those things are basically a triumph of marketing over to be polite, the bewildered.

If you want a good filter it takes energy to drive air though a fine air filter material. Say a powerful fan, and a truck air filter. That will take out dust particles. Especially if the last layer is a hepa filter.

As for smells, then a filter wont work. You need something like activated carbon. And plenty of it. And a fan.

As for sticking a high voltage wire in the airflow, I wish you luck!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cornbread » 04 May 2020, 16:10

Lol can't believe I didn't think of truck filters. Stick a truck filter on a good blower fan.... To late for now. We have a couple box fans with cardboard and duct tape surrounds built into them. With a cheap air filter on the outside intake a higher quality house hold hepa filter on the inside of the intake side. 20x20 Box fans are $20, the cheap filters are negligible, and the 20x20 home hepas are $20-40 depending. And cardboard is free. As the central a.c. filters seem to last longer for less money. Tried my garage fan, but it's to big and blows stuff around the house. They have charcoal ones as well, but, I like food smells.
Big Bounder
Considering more "indoor" options for a second chair
Cornbread

Postby Burgerman » 04 May 2020, 17:19

I used to do a lot of race engine stuff. When I say you will need a high pressure rather thn high flow fan you will discover what I mean. With say a desk type fan, almost zero air will flow. You will find out how restrictive non race type air filter boxes are! You need a real good fan.

So a snail type fan... And a 10 dollar filter as big as a dustbin. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 82626.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby farmer » 05 May 2020, 01:32

you will be better off with afiltersystem by the time you got a ozone generator big enough to do the job you couldn't live in your apartment
farmer

Postby expresso » 05 May 2020, 05:28

so nothing is better than any of the links i posted then ?

but has anyone ever used one before ? if so which one
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 05 May 2020, 17:23

They are all the same. Snake oil. Or actually harmful to you or your stuff! So its hard to be "better". What do you mean by better?

Buy an old sparky AC drill. It will produce more ozone and negative ions than any of those ornamants.

But negative ions? Not useful, unless you like woo woo. Theres shit loads of "testimonial" (marketing) evidence, and zero actual scientific evidence that they do anything at all to you. Quack quack. Get one with a special rare earth magnet in it, those are going to make ou healthier too! And your chair will go more miles.

And Ozone is actually harmful in many ways. And instantly turns back to plain old O2 anyway. So I wouldnt want it in my home. Fortunately it vanishes rapidly! So whats it really meant to achieve? (yes, $$$)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 05 May 2020, 17:38

No air filter system is any good then none of them will clear odors ? Or air In your home ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 05 May 2020, 17:42

A large AIR FILTER and /or activated charcoal filter will remove dust, pollen, bugs, and smells.

LARGE, or you will never notice the effect. If the smell of say onions, in you flat is to be removed, ALL the air must circulate through that carbon filter for that to happen. And that needs many many air changes as not every bit gets pulled through each time.

Read some of the posts above.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 05 May 2020, 19:26

i was thinking about the lines of using one in the bathroom - - it wont do the whole apt. i can move it around to the kitchen as needed also - i will close my eyes and just pick one then - since they all the same - got 30 days to return - :D :thumbup:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 May 2020, 04:45

You didnt read any of what any of us wrote!

Do you know what snake oil is?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 May 2020, 04:48

You didnt read any of what any of us wrote!

Do you know what snake oil is? Chuck the money down the loo if you insist on wasting it. At least the scammy companies that market these kind of things dont get to benefit, and you wont waste electricity.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 May 2020, 17:16

I read it all. I had one before And it worked many years ago. I asked if anyone had used one before themselves back then no one knew ozone as bad for you I was able to shut it off also if I didn't like it. I actually did like it not always on in a bathroom. Nothing is goin to work ? No hepa filter fans charcol filters nothing I shouldn't bother ? Humidifiers at night no good ? For dry air I just saved money :thumbup: thanks. Now let's see what else I will think of next.
expresso

Postby flagman1776 » 06 May 2020, 17:32

Burgerman wrote: Do you know what snake oil is?

Sure I do. It's what squirts out of a snake when he goes from a round snake to a flat snake.

My horse used to make flat snakes by stomping them with his steel shoes.

A motorcycle tire makes snakes a little flat.

Automobile tires makes snake more flat.

For a really flat snake you need a steamroller.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 06 May 2020, 19:07

A humidifier? Why not get a dehumidifier too! Then things will stay more in balance...

:fencing

If you reallywant ozone and ions, pos and neg, go out in a wild thunderstorm with an umbrella.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 May 2020, 19:33

yes thats exactly what i want - the thunderstorm effect - :thumbup: - you really dont believe anything can help in a dry room sleeping at night - dry heat - i been using one at night my apt. is very warm - it does help some -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 07 May 2020, 01:21

I suspect any difference you can detect is all in your head.

And I think this because I was drying out this house after a leak soaked all the structure. 3 years ago. I have been using a powerful 2kw dehumidifier for 3 years. That thing removes several GALLONS of water every day for the first 2 years. ardly anything this year. Humidity was around 80% average initially, for nearly a year. Never less than 70 and frequently over 90%! With the dehumidifier running 24/4 the level dropped to 40% which is very low. Its never been below 30, and is around 40 to 45% every day now. The dehumidifier has a humidity stat. Its set to 45%. It seldom if ever switches on now.

As far as comfort, sleeping, or breathing are concerned, I cant detect any difference from one extreme to the other. And this level of change requires a 2kw dehumidifier running all day every day... But I can tell you this. The DRIER it is, the less the heat bothers you with sweat. Because it evaporates into the air instantly. So you dont overheat. You are always dry. Thats the ONLY detectable change from having the humidity at tropical rain forest level, down to a prefered bone dry 30%.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything