Firefox Usage hog

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Firefox Usage hog

Postby expresso » 07 Jun 2020, 00:47

I decided after trying to figure out how to slow the CPU usage down when using Firefox - didnt work - Firefox uses ALOT of CPU - i searched and tried the tips to slow it down etc, - didnt work - Task manager - firefox is the only one - high usage - everything else - low or very low

i went to Opera - its much better in usage and dosnt make my system fans speed up - who knows why - i dont even care - as long as it works with lower usage - just have to get used to it - different layout and features - functions etc, - i kept both just in case i have to look back at some passwords from firefox

but will use Opera now - anyone else have issues with Firefox ?

also alot of sites - like Con Ed - and some others - Fedex - dosnt work with firefox - they recommend Chrome - works there - i went with Opera - will see how it goes - and it even has its own VPN - will have to check that out -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Firefox Usage hog

Postby Arima » 07 Jun 2020, 02:24

Firefox was horrible on my win7 machine but seems to be generally okay on win10. I think it still uses more resources than chrome on win10. Yes some sites do not load correctly for me with Firefox even on win10. I never use any browser extensions. That seems to be Mozillas answer to poor performance. Opera didn't work well on win7 but I should try it on win10.
Thxs
Arima

Postby expresso » 07 Jun 2020, 04:39

havnt used it much - just did it today - installed Opera and fixed the bookmarks - logged into many of sites i visit to add the log in passwords saved so i dont have to retype all the time - sometimes i still do -

so far is much better than firefox for me - we see in time how it works - lately amazon is being a pain also - to log in - always asking to check who i am - with those codes you have to keep doing over and over - it seems to be getting worse -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2020, 09:53

Firefox no problem here. loads of windows an tabs open, using around 4% cpu . The ESSENTIAL add blocker increses that to 6% though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cornbread » 07 Jun 2020, 09:55

Never noticed any issues recently. I do have extensions though, not sure if they help/hurt usage. But they make the experience better.
Big Bounder
Considering more "indoor" options for a second chair
Cornbread

Postby Irving » 07 Jun 2020, 13:05

Cornbread wrote:Never noticed any issues recently. I do have extensions though, not sure if they help/hurt usage. But they make the experience better.

With certain sites that are java applet intensive - e.g. cloud-based CAD and simulation tools - I've found and reported a number of memory leaks in Firefox (pre v78). Its not in the Java itself as Chrome doesn't have those issues (mostly). At one point Firefox (prev release v77, not tested v78 yet) was using 97% of working memory, while the same procedure on Chrome was only 42%. When closing the site down (Solidworks Cloud) Chrome dropped to 8%, Firefox to 94%! When I closed Firefox completely it still held on to 62% of memory in terminated processes. When I tried to restart Firefox it complained there was a copy still running and tried to terminate it - took a few attempts to sort that!

To be fair, most of those sites say to use Chrome, not Firefox, and some don't offer tech support except on Chrome...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Cornbread » 07 Jun 2020, 13:38

I had that issue with firefox, but it's been a long time ago. Current one has been fine. I'll be trying ms chromium edge when my new laptop gets here...

Broke my own rule about preordering... And now waiting.
Big Bounder
Cornbread

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2020, 15:11

Dont!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 07 Jun 2020, 15:51

I@irving. That happens alot to me also with Firefox. Says it's open when it's closed and restart it etc and many sites dont like it for some reason. I keep it. But will use opera from now on. And see how that works out I have 16 gig of memory. Should be enough for browsing
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2020, 16:54

OIt uses hardware acceleration, to save on CPU cycles. If you have driver issues or your graphics card is not configured correctly you will get that not shut down correctly thing. Also if its configured incorrectly it will be heavy on cpu or/memory. But its the best browser by miles if you like privacy. And configurability. 16gb is double what you need.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 07 Jun 2020, 17:22

i know my graphics card is nothing special at all - its better than on board - drivers are up to date as far as i know - i check and update - and get notified of any driver updates also -

so much good talk about Firefox but it dosnt work as well as others - and privacy - well - who knows - you never will - for some reason not many sites work well with firefox -

i always though a browser is a browser - any should work with any site - but i guess it dosnt work that way. unless something changes with firefox -

its good bye fox - i keep it just in case i can go back and check something like a log in thats saved there - that i dont recall - then add it to Opera -

i use Opera - it does better - to check every so often - i open firefox and then it starts again - speeds up - uses alot of memory cpu - i close it - go back to Opera - its better - not perfect - still uses some - but no where as much as firefox and smoother - -

with me - i always use a few open windows - of the browser - with firefox - every so often it freezes or hangs - i have to close that window - but the other windows open are still working fine -

i will see if Opera Acts the same way or not in that respect - -
expresso

Postby Irving » 07 Jun 2020, 17:47

Burgerman wrote:It uses hardware acceleration, to save on CPU cycles. If you have driver issues or your graphics card is not configured correctly you will get that not shut down correctly thing. Also if its configured incorrectly it will be heavy on cpu or/memory. But its the best browser by miles if you like privacy. And configurability. 16gb is double what you need.

Interestingly I tried turning h/w acceleration off. CPU usage under the heaviest graphic load approx doubled from 10% to 19% (on 1 out of 8 CPU) but otherwise it made little difference to performance and memory allocation/garbage collection was still rubbish... As to configuration I used NVidia's gpu tuning tools and they came close to the configuration dictated by the orginal pc builder and NVidia's recommended setting for the application.
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2020, 20:18

Yes it turns it into a cpu hog... So does a badly matched graphics driver, or a crappy graphics card. Which may be expressos problem.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Jun 2020, 21:09

I use Waterfox which is based on Firefox ESR releases, also use Edge Chromium as a backup and never have trouble with websites.

I believe this is the graphis card expresso has... https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desk ... ifications A 128-bit memory interface data bus is holding the card back as well as other things. I always try to buy a card with 256-bit bus or greater as this provides better performance and 4GB GDDR5 minimum.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 07 Jun 2020, 23:19

yes thats the card - even so - its better than on board - and firefox shouldnt perform this way regardless - when other browsers are better

cant always blame something else - just browsing - not playing games -
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 08 Jun 2020, 00:31

Try this driver expresso... https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/159887/ Can't say if it will improve anything since I mainly use AMD graphics cards in my PCs.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 08 Jun 2020, 00:48

thanks - i will try that when i am back on my desktop - my drivers should be up to date - but never know -

on my next system - i do want a much better card - - would AMD be the way to go with cards ? even if i stick to intel CPU ? i havnt decided which way i will go - intel or AMD -

i do want to try a Mini ITX board - want to keep it small light, cool and fast with no fan noise - :)
expresso

Postby Irving » 08 Jun 2020, 11:35

Hmmm... my graphics card is an ancient GTX460, same clock speed as expresso's but only 1/2 the RAM and CUDAs BUT it does have a 256-bit i/f
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jun 2020, 12:01

But nvidia drivers tend to be written well. From my experience of other brands thats not the case. And that may be all it is thats causing high CPU on expressos machine. Or even just a setting. Or a bios setting. Maybe its only the fans that are incorrectly configured that kick in too soon. He doesent seem very interested in configuring his PC properly. And as usual the devil is in the details. For e.g. He says firefox doesent open some web pages properly. I have never found that to be the case. Quite the opposite. But he maybe has 2 or 3 remnants or currenty in use antivirus programs or some settings somewhere that are saving him from himself... In windows, in current or old anti virus settings, in windows, or in the browser itself. Its got a lot of blocking options. And so has the ad blocker, and so do many VPNs... Who knows what he has set in those. They could also be the reason for the high CPU in firefox. Esp if he has any of those dumb things that downloads stuff to "speed up" browsing in case you click on a link. Theres way too many posibilities to find out on a web forum. Every time a spend a few days fixing other people computer I find 101 things misconfigured or just doing stuff in the background you dont need or want. And a ton of non required things running in windows. For e.g. installing ANYTHING Adobe, means a good 4 hours to find all the hundreds of registry and other things such as scheduler, or autorun stuff when loading windows from wasting half your cpu cycles. Almost everything thinks it should take over your PC. 90% of it is unwanted and not in your interest. Before you can blame a browser you need to sort out all the other stuff that is going on. Those things may USE the browser or conflict with it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 08 Jun 2020, 16:21

not much to be done with the fans - and its firefox causing the issues - pc fans are large and on controller - i can adjust them easy

Fans from the AIO thats the one that makes the most noise when it speeds up - those were never really quiet - but with the firefox thing - its worse

not using firefox helps -
expresso

Postby Cornbread » 08 Jun 2020, 17:04

Don't think you can really go wrong with either amd or intel on cpus, or AMD or invidia on gpus. All of them making good stuff right now.

If whatever change you made worked and things are running g better, then it's good.
Big Bounder
Cornbread

Return to Anything