I am looking for.

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

I am looking for.

Postby martin007 » 12 Jan 2018, 01:47

I am looking for a spare bearing.

987.jpg

I have looked on ebay, but I do not know how to do the search.

P.D. I do not want to change the whole wheel.
martin007

Re: I am looking for.

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jan 2018, 03:14

Measure inside diameter. Measure outside diameter.

If its say 24 x 12mm then search for stainless sealed bearing. Pick correct size.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 14 Jan 2018, 22:19

OK.

Thanks Burgerman!
martin007

Postby ex-Gooserider » Today, 01:30

Alternatively, if you look on the bearing sides - you may need to use a glass, or play with lights, there should be a set of numbers and letters on it. You may find it easier to read on the side of the bearing that faces into the wheel and isn't as exposed to the weather and abuse that messes up the numbers on the outside...

Any decent bearing supplier will be able to translate those numbers into the size - this is preferable to using measurements as it can be easy to get the measurements wrong, especially as some of the imperial and metric sizes can be very close... If you must do measurements use a caliper or micrometer, not just a ruler...

Also in addition to the size, you need to look at the seal on the bearings - you definitely want a sealed bearing as that will do at least some good at keeping the crap out of it... There are two main styles of seals you will commonly see - rubber and metal. Rubber is a little better in terms of waterproofing, but the metal shields will work (it looks like the bearing in your photo is metal shield)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » Today, 02:40

Technically rubber sealed is sealed. Keeps grease in, water out. If any leak happens its time to replace.

(metal) Shielded bearings are used normally in things like engines and gearboxes as they allow some oil/oil mist in, but keep large amounts of oil out. At high RPMs too much oil causes the bearings to skid, and to develop flat spots or other issues. The shields prevent that while allowing lubrication. Where they are used under a lot of oil, or at really high RPM they are preloaded with a spring or wave washer so that they cannot skid. Like in my model jet engines at 165,000rpms. Those run in a kerosene mist.

The other place that metal shielded bearings are used is in electric motors or skate wheels where efficiency counts. Because they are not grease packed and sealed they spin more freely. And dont skid. Powerchair manufacturers use these because it helps range by a miniscule amount. And they dont care that they fail. A rubber shielded greased for life one is much better for longevity. And a stainless one better still. Since most die of water ingress and corrosion.

So for slow turning wheels turning in the outside wet world, greased for life rubber sealed bearings are way better. Same for the alternator on your car, where they are loaded by the belt so do not skid even at the 12k rpm your alternator can turn at. And they keep the water and dirt out so last well.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » Today, 02:54

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000-2RS-6000 ... p1V2gAE7Qw

Stainless, sealed. That axle looks like 10mm? If so you probably need 10x26x8 from the drop down.

You could fit these but they wont last long. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000-10x26x8 ... 0010.m2109
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » Today, 07:28

Axle bolt is M8 assuming that wheel is from a salsa m
rover220

Postby Burgerman » Today, 12:15

So must be a 12mm axle?

Then: 12x28x8 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000-2RS-6000 ... p1V2gAE7Qw

6001 2RS Stainless.
Burgerman