Need advice -> new chair very soon!

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Need advice -> new chair very soon!

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 28 Jun 2011, 00:13

LC lists several good points of the F55: I would add one more - it is much easier to modify to meet your needs than is any other chair I know of.

I use several different chairs a week. Give me the F55 anytime!

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby ex-Gooserider » 28 Jun 2011, 04:25

Looking at that video again, seems like bad design on the platform or possibly a lack of good planning on the part of the train design people...

Here in a suburb of Boston MA, US, I don't seem to encounter the same problems with our mass transit. I have occasional need to use both our "Commuter Rail" and subway systems, and none compare to the video, though I have had a little problem because of the midwheel design on my Jazzy.

On the commuter rail, which is a diesel powered train system, all the minor stations have a raised platform for at least some of the cars, with a ramp to access it. The major stations have full length raised platforms. There is usually a significant height and / or space gap between the platform and the cars, but the cars and platforms all have aluminum loading plates that the conductor will put down to bridge the gap. I've only had a few times when I had trouble with the plate because of the Jazzy design, but they have always managed to get me on. Only special issue is that if you are getting on at a major station they will want to know where you are getting off so that they can put you on the proper car that will line up with the raised platform at the destination. Fares are supposed to be 50% off, but they almost never actually charge me in practice.

The subway is easier on the lines that I've used (there are several different lines, each with it's own kind of train) The trolley style lines have fold out ramps on the cars, and the subway style cars all seem to be very good about having a tight fit between the car and platform - I've used them with both the Jazzy and the manual chair and had no problems with either. Only real issue is that they don't have a good place to park the chair other than in the space in front of the doors, so you have to wiggle around a bit to let folks get around you.

Buses are also not bad, all have kneeling systems and fold out ramps, as well as a few spaces with fold up seats and tiedown systems - only thing I find a bit annoying is that they insist on tying you down, and I regret the delays in their schedules that this must cause for other people...

In addition, there is also a Paratransit system with small accessible buses, that does door to door service with advance notice... Trouble is I live one town outside their service area, so the only time I can use "The Ride" is if I take the train into the city first...

Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Goibot » 17 Jan 2012, 17:48

The Ibot would handle that with ease.
Goibot

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2012, 18:04

But sadly they dont handle daily use on the streets or indoors very well at all. iBots were good at tricks, but horrible as full time wheelchairs. I did some evaluation stuff for David Coates of Independence Tevchnology Europe, before the launch of the 3000, and again for the 4000. But used my own powerchairs to get to the pub at night because it was faster, smoother, easier, and more usable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Goibot » 17 Jan 2012, 18:30

Burgerman wrote:But sadly they dont handle daily use on the streets or indoors very well at all. iBots were good at tricks, but horrible as full time wheelchairs. I did some evaluation stuff for David Coates of Independence Tevchnology Europe, before the launch of the 3000, and again for the 4000. But used my own powerchairs to get to the pub at night because it was faster, smoother, easier, and more usable.

I have been using a 4000 full time since released. I read your review years ago and agreed with most of your input. It does have problems indoors and is not the most comfortable chair around, the batteries are a big issue as well. But it's ability to go into 4 wheel drive is what sold me on it. I hate getting stuck.

I want to thank you for your web site and forums. A lot of good info here. I am starting my search for my next chair since the Ibot will no longer be supported in 2013. I need one that will let me reach things and get around outside.

Thanks again for your knowledge and web site.
Tracy
Goibot

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2012, 18:45

I thought it was already unsupported?

Personally I would just keep using it if it suits you, but carry on without official support.

To begin with you MUST get hold of the real programming tools. The biggest problem it has is abysmal drivability and steering delays and accelerations like all chairs. This is even more important than usual with the iBot as it has so many phone home, contact support, shutdown issues... Once thats obtained, theres nothing you cannot fabricate or improve on the iBot. Batteries for a start. It NEEDS better batteries, the ones it uses are not capable of a decent days use when new. And cost a fortune. I would have replaced those with lithium from day 1. And now there are even better and cheaper lithiums available.

Tyres, another weak point, easy to sort out. C of G and subsequent wheelbase making it ride like a really long thing with a ton of weight on tiny casters is the next issue to fix.

Etc etc.

I - you - could turn it into the chair it could have been from day 1 with about a years part time work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2012, 18:49

But it's ability to go into 4 wheel drive is what sold me on it. I hate getting stuck.

There are other ways. I challenge you to keep up on the beach near my home, with my latest chair once finished ;)

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... rchair.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Goibot » 17 Jan 2012, 21:19

Mr. Burgerman, thanks for the advice. Under other circumstances that is exactly what I would be doing. However, I am a disabled vet and the chair was purchased by the VA. I will have to return it to them when Independence stopps all support for it. So for now I am on the hunt :D
Goibot

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2012, 23:54

They go for very little on ebay... I could have bought one for 500 uk pounds a few weeks ago.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews