Quantum Q6 edge 2 instant reverse into pool!!

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quantum Q6 edge 2 instant reverse into pool!!

Postby mikeysw » 07 Mar 2023, 05:28

I'm in the USA and took delivery 6weeks ago. The chair was too sensitive from the beginning.Tech came out,moved the joystick back and forth-all is good ! Fast forward to Feb 8,moving from walker to chair located 8 ft from hot tub. I sat in the chair and the chair shot backwards with me in it right into hot tub. Hospital visit showed no injuries :D

I called the provider and was provided a no cost loaner until a claim is processed.Pride
says it's not warranty and sent my info up the chain. I guess we'll wait and see what happens. I didn't want the Q6 I wanted a Jazzy 600 at one third the cost. The owner of the rehab shop had a video telecon with their quack. Had to have tilt seat, power leg lifts, cost to MEdicare $9300 as opposed to $4k for the Jazzy. It's a nice chair but was forced into the buy from the quack and owner.This company specializes in full rehab chair with seat lift, voice control, etc, etc.

I have to get an exact replacement because it's already been paid for. I guess the quantum chair had problems with the joystick in the past but maybe not fully fixed. I think it's the factory loaded softwaren but I'll never know.

Great site, I wish I found it earlier.
Cheers Mike
mikeysw

Re: Quantum Q6 edge 2 instant reverse into pool!!

Postby Burgerman » 07 Mar 2023, 21:52

You are the 2nd person to drive into a pool with a pride chair. :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mikeysw » 08 Mar 2023, 02:52

Where and when was the first ? I hope the tech can change acceleration settings or should I try and have the factory change them ? I'm calling Quantum tomorrow, my case has been moved to claims. I hope they don't deny my claim.
mikeysw

Postby Burgerman » 08 Mar 2023, 10:57

The "tech" can reduce acceleration. But theres a 101 settings, many of which your tech cant access, that need configuring so that it drives and steers properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 08 Mar 2023, 12:42

If it took off on its own, I doubt this was an excessive acceleration setting. More likely motor compensation set way, way too high - and that's almost certainly one of the parameters the tech can't get to. If so, this is a very dangerous situation. What the tech might be able to do is send the current settings to the mfr and have them verify the settings or adjust them. If possible, you should get a printout of all of the current settings - if somethings was set way out of wack, this would be proof that the swimming episode was not your fault.
LROBBINS

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Mar 2023, 03:04

Burgerman wrote:You are the 2nd person to drive into a pool with a pride chair. :clap

Been there - did that, got the life jacket (more useful than T-shirt... :lol: ) Several years ago, and it was NOT particularly the chairs fault...

The GF and I were working on shutting down our swimming pool for the winter, and were wrestling with the pool cover. I managed to snag the joystick and next thing I knew I was swimming... :oops:

We called 911, and they came out in a screaming hurry as their dispatch had screwed it up and told them it was a quad in the pool... When they got there, I was busy paddling around trying to take the chair apart and toss the pieces up on the edge... After explaining that my name wasn't "BOB" (What do you call a quad in a pool?) they fished me out as well as the chair...

The cheap-ass P&G Pilot (not Pilot+) all in one controller was fried, the rest of the chair was OK (But Marky-Mark, the late Pride shill, said I should replace it completely :( ) Instead I replaced it with the Pilot+ power module and Q-tronics joystick pod off a Sunrise 626 which worked, although it eventually melted one of the motors because I didn't fix the brake voltages... (Marky claimed it wasn't possible to swap electronics between chair brands....)

Several years later, and I'm still driving sort of the same chair, albeit after replacing damn near every piece of it at one point or another over the years.... (If you replace all the pieces one at a time, when does it become a different chair???)

I didn't see the splash, but I'd wonder if you snagged the joystick while transferring? I can say that it is VERY easy to do, even after years in a chair (13 this month) I still do occasionally... I strongly advise turning the chair off during transfers and / or when doing things that have you leaning towards the joystick side...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 14 Mar 2023, 05:51

although it eventually melted one of the motors because I didn't fix the brake voltages...

He means he didnt program it for the right voltage...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 21 Mar 2023, 03:02

Burgerman wrote:
although it eventually melted one of the motors because I didn't fix the brake voltages...

He means he didnt program it for the right voltage...

Correct - at the time I didn't have a programming setup. In order to get running I grabbed the controller and wiring off my Sunrise 626 project chair (I was hoping to make it into a BM3 style conversion, turns out the 6x6 frames are aluminum and just enough different from the steel F55 frame to make it not work)

The large wheel Jazzy motors use 24V brakes, Sunrise uses 12V... Turns out 12V is enough to make a 24V brake 'click' like it's working, but it doesn't fully release... After a few weeks things got hot enough to melt the brush-holders on the motor, which shut the chair down... banghead

At the time, I solved the problem by adding a headlight relay to one of the controller brake circuits, along w/ a power resistor on each one to keep the controller happy, with the relay switching 24V off the batteries to the brakes... It worked until I got a programming cable and reprogrammed the controller...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby StephensonVoice » 15 Jun 2023, 06:56

> "(If you replace all the pieces one at a time, when does it become a different chair???)"

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
StephensonVoice

Postby greybeard » 16 Jun 2023, 18:02

greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2023, 20:07

That exactly what came to mind.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews