Scooter to handle snow

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Scooter to handle snow

Postby Katilea » 28 Oct 2011, 09:55

Hi

Now I have my 'indoor chair' sorted and NHS are paying for repairs.. (thankfully) I need to sort my scooter. As I have a medium sized dog who is too big to sit on my knee or the powerchair footplate I need to keep a scooter for her. She's getting on a bit and starting to get a bit of arthritis especially in the winter when ground is very frosty and cold, so often needs a ride back home after we've made it to nearest field.

My current scooter is a Rascal 650 and was best I could afford at the time having just also moved house so funds were extremely limited. It really hasn't done bad considering I'm surrounded by hills and until last year we had never had that deep snow since I before I had to go in a wheelchair/use scooter to walk dog.

Now I want something compact as it has to be driven into house so I can transfer, my current one fits in hall space.. though I could also park in spare room/office if I move a desk.

I've tried the TGA Breeze and didn't like it.. far too big, the Tramper has same problem for me. I've seen one called an Aztec by Horizon.. which is meant to be 'All-Terrain' and has minimum metal framework instead of plastic shrouds.

http://www.horizonmobility.com/AZTEC-Mo ... ility.html

These start at about £5,000.. I wondered if anyone had tried them or seen one or know if one with similar specs would be able to do the same job? eg... the Aztec has 14" wheels.. I've seen ones with 13 " wheels more affordable, will an inch difference on the tyres make a difference if I could find one with an higher ground clearance and more powerful motor and batteries than my current one?

I won't be in it all day like the chair, it only needs to run an hour in mornings and half an hour in afternoon for my dogs' walks .. occasionally a 2 hour trek around a local nature park... about 5 mile round trip with a few very long steep hills. As she gets older it she may need a ride most of way there and back so it needs good motor and batteries and an high user weight (though fortunately I'm getting lighter!).

Any suggestions?

If anyone knows where could get something like this second hand or ex-demo too?

Thanks

Kati
Katilea

Re: Scooter to handle snow

Postby Burgerman » 28 Oct 2011, 15:43

dEFINITELY GO WITH THE OPTIONAL BIGGER BATTERIES, AND BIGGER CHARGER...

http://www.horizonmobility.com/AZTEC-Te ... oters.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 28 Oct 2011, 17:39

As I could see it..

cheers
malamar

Postby Katilea » 28 Oct 2011, 17:53

Lol..cool!.. How much did that cost? ..scooter and doggy buggy?

Does your dog enjoy his ride? :D
Katilea

Postby malamar » 28 Oct 2011, 18:34

Its just a fantasy composed (in a quick and dirty way), in photoshop, but i' ll go that way, in your case.

the best and good luck
malamar

Postby ex-Gooserider » 29 Oct 2011, 02:31

I don't know if they make dog specific versions, but that picture looks like a baby-carrier trailer for a pedal bike, and those are several hundred dollars new, but I've heard they can be had used for fairly short money. I think the concept is basically to look for a scooter sized just for you, and add the dog hauler to it...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby malamar » 29 Oct 2011, 10:36

Exactly, Goose..to the tenth of an inch...
Cheers
malamar

Postby malamar » 29 Oct 2011, 10:50

Exactly, Goose..to the tenth of an inch...

PS; Knew anything about scooters, but liked a lot that Aztec for outdoors business; good suspension, steerage, when properly beefed up,battery and tyres wise..

Cheers
malamar

Postby horizonmobility » 06 Mar 2012, 09:32

Hi

I should state at the outset that we are the manufacturers of the Aztec, Mayan and Mayan AC scooters. Having had a question posed from this site, I thought it sensible to offer a suggestion to you all. We offer a trial facility for our scooters, this is a free service, well almost, we do expect a cup of tea and some biscuits (preferably choccie) while you are out enjoying yourself. We also offer a facility to hire the scooter for as long as you like, from one week, to three years or more. Id do not believe we should act in a commercial fashion on this site, so you will need to do a web search to find our site. equally if you would like to hire one to give it a thorough trial then search for something link 2hire horizon aztec2 and it should come up for you. Good luck, Graham @ Horizon
horizonmobility

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2012, 11:02

http://www.nationalmobilityrental.com/m ... ooter.html

UK obviously. Powerchairs too! Interesting for trial, short term use etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews