8mph Mobility scooter

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

8mph Mobility scooter

Postby Katilea » 15 Jul 2014, 13:18

Hi guys

Hoping someone can give me some names of scooters roughly the same size as mine but bit better batteries if poss with not too much loss on ground clearance?

I currently have a Rascal 850, it has an adapted bracket on the back for a dog bike trailer for my elderly dog who can't walk far.

first ride in chariot.jpeg
first ride in chariot.jpeg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

Mine has quite a good ground clearance compared to most (just under 6") and has 2 50ah batteries. It does well pulling the trailer.. I can't remember weight of the trailer but my dog travelling inside is around 20kg.

The width is about right I can just about fit through some narrow gaps to get round some gates/fences onto cycle paths and paths over the fields so it doesn't want to be too much wider. It can be a couple of inches longer but too long as it won't fit in parking space in my hall.

I do really like this model and was wondering if I could maybe upgrade the batteries a little? would 60ah batteries fit? I noticed scooters with 75ah batteries are quite a bit longer (7 ") and a good few inches wider which may mean certain routes are then off limit to us and I'm already restricted for walking routes. I like to do about 5 mile as have young Border Collie as well now who runs alongside the entire route and my oldie just gets out at the farm tracks/fields etc... walks as far as she can manage then gets back in for a ride home).

I was looking at Horizons Mobility Saxon but I emailed them over 2 weeks ago now asking if a dog bike trailer could be attached and no-one has answered so not impressed with their customer services for a scooter that would be in £5,000 region!

so.. any ideas of models that a bike trailer could be attached to or could I safely add 60ah batteries to mine?

Thanks

Kati
Katilea

Re: 8mph Mobility scooter

Postby Sully » 18 Jul 2014, 13:34

Go down to the local auto service place and have them TRY to fit a couple of size 24 batteries in it. They usually have some used ones, just see if there is room. I think if you are going to have problems it will be with height, but that picture shows me nothing. The pretty cowling might be a problem, so that will depend on you whether you want aesthetics or distance.

Now if you really want to make a huge difference have yourself or someone dimension off the battery space. and figure out how to fit some LiFePO4 batteries into it. That will bring you to a whole different level.
Sully

Postby flagman1776 » 05 Aug 2014, 20:29

The typical SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) generic batteries are not that great. You can find the battery specifications on line if you measure your battery space... or a battery shop would have the specs.
There are better SLA batteries but I have to agree LiFePO4 cells assembled into a pack are the ultimate. They require a high tech charger & a hand made charging harness. I built one for my Travel Scoot... I will do so for the Wrangler when replacement time comes.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 05 Aug 2014, 20:51

It uses an odd shaped battery. About 230 tall, 235 long, 135 wide. You wont fit anything else in there.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews