Quickie 636

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Quickie 636

Postby Burgerman » 18 Aug 2015, 13:48

https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/pro ... 27972.html

4K GETS YOU the weakest controller, slowest chair, no batteries, and many other things you need.

Go down the list and add 8.5mph, R-net 120A controller, and anything else you want and its far from 4k.

This is all stock with an x5/v6 and the ability to go off road.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 18 Aug 2015, 16:31

When I finally did find the motor specs the difference between the 6Mph and the 8.5 Mph is the gear box, the 8.5 Mph uses the same motor as the 6Mph and it is simply geared down, which equals more torque, if you decide that is what "you" want.

The motor specs can be located in the parts lists. You have to search to find them. So a higher gear box is $2,000. The R-Net is very much worth the money, no matter what your objectives may be.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 18 Aug 2015, 23:47

I suspect the 2k isn't just the gearbox, but the R-Net as taller gearing requires it. And GP 24 batteries.

And you may well find the motor is the same.

But while they often look alike, but have different wind, with less turns and heavier copper, different magnet quality, to try and recoup some range back through efficiency. At some ££$$. I know the 8.5 and 6 mph groove motors look the same, but internally they are different if my low ohm multimeter is anything to go by. The 8.5 motors feels notchy, (magnets?) and reads slightly lower impedance.

Of course it could also be that 6mph one is generic AMT (over the counter), and the other was built in quantity for sunrise as they don't show this RPM on the site. If the badge is anything to go by. One says Sunrise, one says AMT.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 19 Aug 2015, 00:06

Burgerman wrote:https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/products/Quickie-S-636-Rear-Wheel-Power-Wheelchair-27972.html

4K GETS YOU the weakest controller, slowest chair, no batteries, and many other things you need.

Go down the list and add 8.5mph, R-net 120A controller, and anything else you want and its far from 4k.

This is all stock with an x5/v6 and the ability to go off road.

True, but the S-646SE, which has uprated versions of the key components, is still only $6.5k on the southwestmedical.com site. Throw in another grand for other doodads and you're still a long way from the $20k Frontier V6 offroad variant with fairly modest rehab seating.

So, yes, I see the Frontier has definite advantages over the Quickie, but it's still hard to see where the extra $12k went.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 19 Aug 2015, 00:09

ex-Gooserider wrote:The Quickie 6x6 series chairs are only a mixed bag for the BM conversion.... The frames are aluminum (the F55 is steel) and the shape of the front crossmember is more of a V, so the only conversion that would work is the BM3 (not enough room to slide the battery box over the top BM2 style)

Because it's aluminum, welding on it is a problem, and the shape of the frame is such that the cuts for a BM-3 box would be more difficult...

ex-Gooserider

Thanks, ex-Goose. The aluminum frame definitely adds complexity that is way above my skill-set. I'd like to ultimately get to a BM3 setup, but don't want to end up stalled due to biting off more than I can chew.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby dejmos » 06 Dec 2015, 11:13

Hello, we are looking for a powerful engine to our new wheelchair ( http://www.zbb.cz/galerie/stavba-voziku ... -parametry ). I need a photo of engine label. Can anyone make this foto? Thanks
dejmos

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 11:29

Speed? Torque? (Which is more important?) 4, 6, 8.5mph?
Is this for 24V or higher (I see you have a picture there of my roboteq controller)

Physical size?
Mountings must be the same?

Wheel hub must fit?

Will it be possible to reprogram the controller to suite the new motor? (motor impedance - compensation)?
Brake voltage etc?

Availability? Do you want 2 or many? Used or new?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 06 Dec 2015, 15:53

rustyjames

Postby hyperpower » 22 Feb 2016, 03:34

Dblshotz wrote:
MenCallMeGimpy wrote:
Dblshotz wrote:Wrote a short review that didnt appear for some reason. Its late but i will rewrite it again. Sorry guys. for now just enjoy the pic :D

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I was wondering how you're liking you S-636 after nearly a year? Has it been reliable? How are the batteries holding up?

Also, do you know if you can get a fold-down backrest? I'd like to get a reasonably tall backrest, but the ceiling of my van has other ideas. If I can fold the backrest down when the chair is on the van lift, that would solve my problem.

Thanks!

Sorry to all for not keeping this thread up to date as my life with a new baby boy and job keep me very busy. Let me just start off by saying that its been a year since i got my S636 and i couldnt be happier! The thing runs like a champ and has not needed a single major repair since ive gotten it and i have not had a single issue as far as losing power from any number of issues like my old Quantum from pride. The only work ive had on the chair is having the front casters replaced,big wheels replaced and one battery change as the batteries that originally came with the chair were some generic brand for some odd reason. I got a set of mk`s and its been running great since. I had some squeeking (solved with some teflon spray) coming from the rear casters and they seem to sag after a while and are barely off the ground which im not a fan of.The only real issue ive been having that i might have recently resolved is the seating issues. ive gone through several seat cushions and countless back and headrest adjustments. Its funny because its been a year since i got the chair and ive had the repair guy come out twice i believe. This chair has lived up to everything i read about it and i highly recommend it. Im not sure about the back rest folding but im sure some of the guys on here who really know their stuff should be able to help you out with that.

Hi! I got the same chair as yours. Just checking, what kind of wheels are you using? I'm using pneumatic wheels and the wheelchair seems very bumpy! I wonder if it is better with solid wheels?
hyperpower

Postby rustyjames » 22 Feb 2016, 14:42

You will have a harsher ride with the solid tires.
rustyjames

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2016, 14:55

REDUCE the pressures considerably.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 22 Feb 2016, 19:15

As BM said, if you are running pneumatic tires, lowering the pressure will help get rid of a lot of the bumpiness, especially on rough surfaces, but less so on harsh bumps like potholes or mismatched pavement slabs.

As I remember it, there are some adjustments possible on the shocks the 6x6 chairs use on the rear suspension, it MIGHT help to play with those, especially if you are light. I think there are settings for pre-load and damping, and if those are to high the ride will be bumpy as the suspension won't move when you hit a bump. OTOH if they are to soft the chair will tend to wallow, as it bounces around on the suspension, and will bottom out on big bumps. IOW you will probably have to play with it some to get it right, but having it right will help...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews