TerrainHopper

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Reuben's Place » 26 May 2016, 13:10

We bought a terrain Hopper an overland 4 2013

Would not recommend them. First time we used it it caught fire. OK maybe they were just unlucky that time, however it has broken down 80%-90% of the time we have used it. Which basically means having to carry my son in a fireman's lift and then push the terrain hopper back.

Or just leave it where it breaks down and carry my son back home and hope its till there when i get back to it, to then have to push it back.

So no I would not recommend one.

Still keeps you fit
Reuben's Place
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 May 2016, 12:44

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Reuben's Place » 26 May 2016, 13:21

larryvoyer wrote:Can someone review the TerrainHopper - http://www.terrainhopper.com. I can't find it anywhere on forum. I'm looking at the Overlander 4Z



We bought a terrain Hopper an overland 4 2013

Would not recommend them. First time we used it it caught fire. OK maybe they were just unlucky that time, however it has broken down 80%-90% of the time we have used it. Which basically means having to carry my son in a fireman's lift and then push the terrain hopper back.

Or just leave it where it breaks down and carry my son back home and hope its till there when i get back to it, to then have to push it back.

So no I would not recommend one.

Still keeps you fit
Reuben's Place
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 May 2016, 12:44

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Burgerman » 26 May 2016, 13:28

First time we used it it caught fire


What exactly caught fire? Let me guess. A lithium battery with a BMS system on it :?
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 35753
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Reuben's Place » 26 May 2016, 13:33

Burgerman wrote:
First time we used it it caught fire


What exactly caught fire? Let me guess. A lithium battery with a BMS system on it :?


You guessed it Quite an experience trying to get your disabled son out while its on fire. Good job we where on the beach, sand does put out fires quickly :shock: :shock:
Reuben's Place
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 May 2016, 12:44

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby steves1977uk » 26 May 2016, 13:50

http://www.terrainhopper.com/product/2216/

Specs just say 2x12v 80AH batteries. Was this upgraded to a Lithium pack?

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Reuben's Place » 26 May 2016, 14:05

steves1977uk wrote:http://www.terrainhopper.com/product/2216/

Specs just say 2x12v 80AH batteries. Was this upgraded to a Lithium pack?

Steve


Yes it was
Reuben's Place
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 May 2016, 12:44

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Burgerman » 26 May 2016, 14:48

This is exactly why we DONT use a BMS and why we charge with a proper charger instead. Those things always screw up the pack, fail, or occasionally burn your house down.

Also you need a bigger pack to load the cells less.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 35753
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby steves1977uk » 26 May 2016, 15:47

Reuben's Place wrote:
steves1977uk wrote:http://www.terrainhopper.com/product/2216/

Specs just say 2x12v 80AH batteries. Was this upgraded to a Lithium pack?

Steve


Yes it was


Lemme guess, a pack made with LiPo or LiCo cells? No chair or buggy for disabled people should use those or a BMS (Burn Me Stupid aka Battery Management System). The only safe cells are the LiFePO4 ones with a proper charger.

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Burgerman » 26 May 2016, 22:01

Burn Me Stupid aka Battery Management System


Battery Murdering System,
or
Battery Massacre System.

What happened is this. Guy designs Lead powered off roader. Figures out that after 15 minutes actual off road the battery is dead... Because that CANNOT work. Comes here to visit me several years ago. Sees my lithium pack which is huge, uses no BMS...

Goes to LiFePO4 expert. These people are basically in the business of selling Lithium batteries to dummies. So they recommend a Lithium block to replace the lead bricks.

This will be The SAME capacity as the Lead... (WRONG!!!)
And since everybody knows you need a BMS it wiill have one, and a dumb charger. (WRONG!!!)

Result, battery reliability issues, short service life, not much better range than lead, possible fires. And lithium gets a bad reputation through ignorance.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 35753
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: TerrainHopper

Postby Sully » 29 May 2016, 18:10

Quote; "Because its not a wheelchair, its a car". But don't head to the highway in it! :lol: All that will be heard is beep squish!! :o

All kidding aside though, those look to be pretty good prices for those machines. I still am not too sure I could access or egress them "easily" And I also think the beach patrol, may take exception with them, Where a "chair looking rig" looks like it belongs there. These patrols do not like stuff that doesn't fit exactly in the definitions section of their "book" and do no have a great sense of humor while you are trying to explain your point. Because it's not a wheelchair, it's a car. makes my point very well.
Sully
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:44
Location: Hampstead, North Carolina, USA

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 

  eXTReMe Tracker