Storm 4 is brilliant!!!

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Storm 4 is brilliant!!!

Postby Burgerman » 20 Oct 2014, 12:09

I wasn't trying to win an argument, just explain to the original poster how it really is. But he seems to have decided already and no amount of explanation or evidence will persuade him/her. Shame because an open mind allows the chair to be drastically improved on with a few small changes in programming for eg.

At any rate, my understanding is that Invacare has been legally barred from the production of motorised wheelchairs for at least the last 12 to 18 months, so they cannot claim to have anything new for 2014.

I think that's just in the US though. The rest of the world is still a big if not bigger market. They did announce a "new" version of the Storm 4, its just that there's nothing *actually* new! Same main components are used for everything. That's the

http://doclibrary.invacare.fr/Office/Eu ... m4X_UK.pdf

Storm 4 X-plore. Which is for all intents identical to the 2011 chairs but for a bit of added hype and a tiny styling addition of different suspension giving a fraction greater travel movement. As I said, nothing new to see here. It is the best one of a bad lot though, as it uses their gearless brushless motors. But as many will testify it has the same programming control issues as all other stock powerchairs.

I am tempted to buy one, reprogram it, fit a high rate lithium 3kwh pack the same as my own chair, move the seat back. Then it would make a respectable OUTDOOR/indoor chair.

Ignoring the chair, I looked at your website. http://www.timsstroke.co.uk/#/more-about-me/4527471509 I like where you live! Nice area. I am jealous!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby HiltonP » 21 Oct 2014, 09:16

Burgerman wrote:Ignoring the chair, I looked at your website. http://www.timsstroke.co.uk/#/more-about-me/4527471509 I like where you live! Nice area. I am jealous!

John,

I think you found the wrong website... :)

I live a long way from Sussex, a very long way, further south, in Cape Town, South Africa.
I don't have a website but I do run an informal blog... http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
HiltonP

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2014, 09:21

Oh, I was referring to the original poster sakima's site. :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sakima » 21 Oct 2014, 14:19

Just to say that I am waiting for 'another' response from Invacare, but they have confirmed, that the article that relates to being barred from the production of motorised wheelchairs for 12 - 18 months ONLY applies to the US company and NOT worldwide. (Thought so!)

Yes, I am very lucky to live where I do! 10 min from the town and 15 min from the seafront, harbour and station. My flat is also lovely n spacious, on the ground floor, very sunny and I live alone.

The town, Teignmouth, is very hilly, so the Storm 4 (which is a LWB chair, that's about 4" longer) is brilliant around town. My weight, about 12 stone, keeps the c of g back and low as well which, I am sure, contributes significantly and why 'I' think this is an awesome chair, even at speed!

When I have had the other reply from Invacare and a reply from an 'independent' wheelchair engineer, I will do another review incorporating these replies, what Bm has highlighted and include some pictures.
(Incidentally, I have tried 'pasting' a picture/jpeg, between the 'Img' thingys, but it doesn't work!)
sakima

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2014, 15:23

Code: Select all
[img]http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images-life/power-chair.jpg[/img]

Like this?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 21 Oct 2014, 18:02

BM, you're supposed to forwards up ramps and kerb cuts - not backwards. :)

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2014, 18:22

Depends. My chair tips like a manual sport chair, for better control, better steer, lighter less battery power sapping front end. And less weight on the fat caster tyres for snow/sand etc.

As such its extremely manoeuvrable and zappy! You can change direction, and change it back again at any speed really really fast for e.g.. Make it even a little more nose heavy and it feels like a bus. You NEED almost all the weight on the drive wheels to get the free steering and low mass feel. But the downside is that a ramp or curb, needs to be taken with some excess speed, so you can decelerate as you go up to "push" the front down and stop it tipping. This becomes 2nd nature. Ask a manual chair user, which I once was.

Of course this is far too tippy for most people. And is only usable and controllable if correctly programmed to actually do as you ask.

These things are a compromise. And I prefer the control, and other advantages over what amounts to a slow steering barge... Especially for the streets and for indoors. Off road, where you are not wheelying up curbs etc. and where steep sections are long enough to be a problem a longer chair, or more nose heavy chair works better. Sort of. In that you cant tip out the rear as easily. But then the casters sink on sand / snow or soft ground... And a puncture leaves you screwed. Mine drives fine on a flat caster tyre with hardly any change in performance. And I don't have to suffer the jarring solid caster tyres give.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 21 Oct 2014, 21:02

I know, I know...I was referring to your problem getting in your van in a Storm4. You should have entered nose forward! :)

Having said that, I do not think a short, tippy chair is a good idea if you have a lot of hills - or kerb cuts on already steep paths - to climb.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 22 Oct 2014, 00:36

You ended up in the wrong position doing that. And needing to manoeuvre. Which they are not great at being about 7 inches longer than my normal chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby kcslaw » 13 May 2015, 00:33

My 2005 arrow with gearless brushless motors is a work horse, it will clime hills, pop wheelies, tow sleds, with over a 20 mile range at near 9 mph. Still in it now as a spare as my 2014 arrow though having better updated electronics, has terrible gearless brushless motors that were repaired, then replaced, and now failed again. i need help with suggestions and or commernts.
kcslaw

Postby Burgerman » 13 May 2015, 01:29

Those newer motors are much the same. More poles and lower RPM to aid starting torque and smoothness. As far as I am aware. What went wrong with them? There's actually so little in there, and no gearbox, to actually go wrong. No wearable parts like brushes or gears, Cush drives etc. Just 2 large bearings. I am surprised.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews