Help on a new chair please?

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Help on a new chair please?

Postby Jediempress » 25 Feb 2015, 18:22

I'm having to replace my 6 year old Quickie P222 SE, and I am having major problems!
I have driven Quickies since I was 14 (22 years now). Starting with the beloved 200, than the 300, the 220 and than the 222. My 200 is still working and is takes me across Canada when I travel as its so versatile.
Now I'm being told by the vendors that the Quickies are really bad and not worth it. They can't seem to get me a trial chair either as Sunrise doesn't send them up to Canada very often.
Instead they are pushing the Pride Quantum Rival and I can't stand it. I find that it is nowhere near as easy to control as the Quickie and it has a habit of "jumping" whenever I do a tight turn, as if the front wheels are getting caught. I've tried adjusting the settings but it doesn't seem to help. It also will veer off as the front wheels align themselfs and that has sent me into a few walls. I have never had that happen in all my years.
What I need is a chair that has rear wheel drive, a fold down back (so it can fit in my van using a Bruno Curbsider Lift), and has good speed.
Does anyone have any comments to help me? Any info about their experiences with the newer P222s or Rivals?
Jediempress

Re: Help on a new chair please?

Postby Burgerman » 25 Feb 2015, 19:23

I've tried adjusting the settings but it doesn't seem to help.

Every chair can be programmed if done correctly and with the correct level of programmer to drive almost exactly the same. And almost guaranteed to be better than any you tried so far.

But messing with a few settings and with a dealer/end user level tool will not usually do it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 25 Feb 2015, 22:55

How about the puma 40 its a nice chair

http://handicare.ca/1/Products/Power-Wh ... s/PUMA-40/
ICEUK

Postby Jediempress » 26 Feb 2015, 02:21

I've asked the rep to bring the programmer for the Rival and see what we can if that can help.

Looked at the Puma but it doesn't seem to have a back that folds down. But thanks, didn't even know about it!
Jediempress

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2015, 02:52

Here's the problem.

Reps only have dealer programmers. They mostly cant fix the problem. Even if they could, the people driving them are usually without a clue.

The net result is you play about with a few settings, but not the ones you really need, and end up with it different. But not good.

Worse, most manufacturers use one of the bigger controller manufacturers to supply the controller. Like http://www.pgdt.com for eg. There are 3 or 4 big ones.

So even though they don't want to sell you an OEM level programmer you can find one. One way or another. But with pride stuff you are basically screwed. Its all under lock and key so you cant get access. The lesson here is don't buy any chair that you cant get personal access to an OEM programmer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 26 Feb 2015, 09:57

The back does fold down on the puma, i have seen it folded down, as for programmer its need to be oem if you wasting your time
ICEUK

Postby greybeard » 27 Feb 2015, 14:24

I recently bought an ex demo Puma 40 and am very satisfied with it. The seat back definitely folds down with the Sedeo Pro seating option.

Mine was rear wheel drive but had swing-away footrests that I did not like at all. I found that when fitting a centre mount rest, I had to convert it to front wheel drive (just 4 bolts) because the new footrest at 90 degrees fouled the 10 inch casters on turns, meaning that the rest needed to be raised higher to be clear of the casters than I wanted.

Having driven it as FWD for a couple of months with my weight squarely over the drive wheels, despite opinions to the contrary, I prefer the more direct steering that FWD gave compared to when the chair was RWD. I do not go fast enough to need to worry about the "shimmy" at speed that others claim to experience with FWD.

I recommend the Puma 40. The Sedeo seating is very comfortable with loads of cushion and backrest options.
greybeard

Postby rover220 » 27 Feb 2015, 16:10

the folding backrest is an option on the puma but certainly available
rover220

Postby expresso » 01 Mar 2015, 22:44

i feel the same way - i been told before about sunrise chairs etc, - i only have had quickie chairs and i demanded only sunrise chairs - i have the p222se 3 years now - and besides a squeal coming from the frame innterconnects area - its been solid - never had a issue so far - i am actually waiting on new parts for the frame interconnects -

i just got the 646se and love it - i would go for that one if you are getting a new chair - its fast - smoother - and R net just seems to work better out of the box - with no adjustments - its much better to handle - i am sure when i start to use it more i will make some adjustments -

i cant stand those pride chairs - and they are slow - at the very least get the 636 - still a quick chair and sporty - good luck - dont let them bully you into a chair you dont like or want !!
expresso

Return to Powerchair Reviews