MagicMobility V6

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

MagicMobility V6

Postby Rye » 27 Mar 2015, 01:06

I am currently in possession of a MagicMobility V6 (the more compact descendent of the Frontier). I drove the Frontier a couple of years ago and really enjoyed how well it handled and where I could go with it so I was expecting the same experience with the V6. I have taken the V6 through the same terrain as the X8 and found that for the most part it's able to keep up. Note: Both the X8 and V6 came with a really slick plastic footrest. As man with muscle spasms, I found it incredibly annoying to have my feet constantly slipping off. GRIP IS A MUST.

What the V6 has going for it:

Handling- Because it's a MWD it is a cinch to maneuver indoors and out as well as in tight quarters. The low inflation knobbies and the high torque motors make V6 right at home in the mud as long as you're minimizing sharp turns and back and forth movements.

Base Size- I was told by the rep that the V6 was made more compact than the Frontier. Helps indoors and makes loading it in the van super easy.

Downfalls:

Two wheel drive- Where I'm from if you're driving a two wheel drive vehicle you're pretty much saying you're not from around here. It being a MWD means two wheels driving and four wheels dragging. Like I said this wheelchair is fine driving straight on through the mud but if you need to do much fore and back you're going to be disappointed. The V6's drive wheels slipped more than a few times while I was trying to set a boar snare on damp ground. Without the all wheel drive (or tracks) it's pretty much unavoidable.

Seating system size- it seems to have the same seating system as the X8 which is bulky and not sexy. I may be paralyzed, but I'll be god damned if I'm not going to look sexy in my chair. The tighter the chair fits the better. Bulky seems to be a theme with most wheelchair companies.

Overall good chair. I, however, prefer the MM X8 ATV for my situation and terrain.
Rye

Re: MagicMobility V6

Postby Burgerman » 27 Mar 2015, 01:32

The difference is that one is a wheelchair and one is an outdoor only buggy.

>>>GRIP IS A MUST.

Velcro. Found that out years ago.

The V6 is still a magic mobility, or frontier product, but one was called X5 and the replacement which apart from a few cosmetic things is much the same is called the V6.

You really look good?
Me too! :mrgreen:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 27 Mar 2015, 02:12

Burger I used to use velcro but years ago I quit using it because an intense POV video game left me on the floor with my feet still strapped in. Only reason I didn't break both ankles is because I had my shoes on loose. I also don't use a seat belt because I move a lot and I don't want to be buckled in if my chair flips. A combination of muscle tone and GRIP is how I sit up straight and stay in my chair.

I like the V6, but it reminds me of my limitations.
I have to keep emphasizing that the X8 goes through standard doorways and in standard handicapped bathroom stalls. It's really only becoming accustom to the mode of steering that makes tight quarters difficult. Grave digger casters are useless in the mud. If the X8 were a bit more compact (which is totally doable) I would use it as my everyday wheelchair.
Rye

Postby Rye » 27 Mar 2015, 02:13

GRIP also helps when transferring to the wheelchair.
Rye

Postby Rye » 28 Mar 2015, 21:33

MagicMobility V6 Day 3:

Dry and or packed ground is noticeably rougher than soft ground in this chair which is to be expected (to a point). I'm going to try this thing on a rough sidewalk and see how it fairs.

On a slope that is perpendicular to my driving direction the V6 kept losing traction and sliding the rear downhill (on grass and packed ground). Not reducing tire inflation more would help.

Finally I bottomed out on several unavoidable ant mounds but with a little work (and the help of muscle tone) I was able to shimmy out.

Even with these few flaws, it does get me further out than my PeeMobile.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 29 Mar 2015, 02:49

Peemobile :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews