About my new lifepo4 battery pack

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

About my new lifepo4 battery pack

Postby snaker » 20 Jul 2015, 09:43

My wheelchair originally uses lead acid batteries. Its range is only about 18km for 2 new 12V/35Ah batteries. Another problem of lead acid batteries is that their Ah capacity decreases quickly by time, then that makes the range decrease quickly too. In my case, the range is down to 10-15km just after 6 months.

I intended to move to lithium batteries and then I found our forums. I got much knowledge in lithium here. I knew there are 3 types of lithium (ion, lipo and lifepo4) and the lifepo4 is best for wheelchair batteries.

I also posted a thread to ask advices about upgrading to lifepo4.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5116

Burgerman commented that the lifepo4 battery pack I would purchase has a too small capacity (40Ah) due to my wheelchair's battery box's size. So the battery pack may not have enough concurrent discharging the wheelchair needs. And the capacity of 40Ah may not improve the range much. That made me a bit hesitant.

But I am too disappointed about my wheelchair's range. I always need a pair of lead acid batteries for spare. When I go somewhere a little bit far, my dad must bring the spare batteries to my location for replacing. So, I decided to make a risk with lifepo4.

I bought lifepo4 battery pack at pingbattery.com. Ping helped me to customize the batteries' size to fit into my battery box with max Ah capacity. So the last result was a pack of 24V/50Ah.

The battery pack is separated into 4 units, each unit is a battery of 6V/50Ah with 2 cables for connecting. They look built quality with solid cables and tough connectors. The pack also includes a 10A charger. I have to connect batteries into a logical unit of 24V/50Ah. It is fairly easy because Ping had instructed me very precisely through email.

I just made 2 trips around my small city with the new lifepo4 batteries. I saw that the wheelchair ran fine event while it climbed on slopes or moved 'off road', at least the same as lead acid batteries. And the speed is a bit higher. I estimate that this lifepo4 battery pack could serve for about 5 hours of continuous running or a range of 40-45km in maximum. I know that I should use 80% of its maximum to keep the batteries have a long life. So, 80% equals 4 hours of running or 35km, that's enough for me.

Conclusion:
40-45km is my desired range when I intended to move to lifepo4. It's about 2.5 times longer then lead acid batteries. Now, I can move to any where without to worry about the power. Although lifepo4 is now still expensive but I think it is worth for investing.

Caution:
Currently, I only try to move on short and low slopes. I have not tried to climb on ramp yet. My wheelchair is a light weight model, so it may only need a low concurrent discharging. If your wheelchair is a heavy model with stronger motors, you may need a bigger battery pack with higher concurrent discharging as Burgerman mentioned in the thread above.
snaker

Re: About my new lifepo4 battery pack

Postby Sully » 20 Jul 2015, 16:25

Snaker which country do you come from ? I think you probably use an interpreter program to translate for you. The word concurrent means: happening at the same time. Current means electrical power usually in amperage.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2015, 20:00

He means continuous current or discharge.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 21 Jul 2015, 02:07

@Sully:
I am from Vietnam. My English is awful :oops: You are right, it should be "discharging current".

@Burgerman:
I cannot find the Edit button to edit my post. Please help me to edit it to a correct English.
snaker

Postby ex-Gooserider » 21 Jul 2015, 02:40

Welcome to the forums. If you go to the 'User Control Panel' near the top of each forum page, you can put in your country information, which helps us.

I'd also say that your English is a lot better than my Vietnamese, so you aren't doing all that badly.

The way this board is set up, you can't go back and edit a post after someone has replied to it, or more than a very short time after you wrote it. The best thing to do is just add to the thread with a new message.

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Sully » 31 Jul 2015, 17:19

I wish to welcome you as well. I am sorry if I was a bit harsh. But now knowing you are Vietnamese I will try a bit harder to understand you better. It is just easier knowing.
Sully

Return to Powerchair Reviews