Are The Q6 Edge and Q6 Edge 2 Good Chairs?

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Are The Q6 Edge and Q6 Edge 2 Good Chairs?

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Jun 2017, 03:25

1. PRIDE IS CRAP - bottom line - run screaming....

2. If you get stuck w/ 22NF batteries you WILL be unhappy with the range, they are totally inadequate for any sort of heavy mileage use...

3. You do NOT have to settle for whatever the sales droid at the 'evaluation' session wants to palm off on you - or even deal with whatever vendor is doing the evaluation... A lot of people get screwed on this part, I did on my first manual chair while I was in rehab at Spaulding (which otherwise was excellent, and Spaulding is generally well thought of...) I got sent to the 'Wheelchair Clinic' where I was evaluated for chair fit, and mostly TOLD with a small amount of input from me about choices, what I'd be getting... They never told me that I wasn't dealing with the hospital, but instead a specific DME, or that I had any choice in who I dealt with in getting a chair.... There are getting to be fewer and fewer vendors aside from the big chain guys, but it does pay to shop around a bit....

4. Insist on chairs with the features YOU want, not what they want to push you into - this can include brand, and things like rear-wheel drive, and seating functions.... There obviously will be limits on what features might be available on different chair brands, and also the question of what your insurance will pay for, but I don't know of ANY that locks you into a specific brand or style of chair....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Soulrider » 29 Jun 2017, 12:54

Thanks for the responses on the Q6 Edge 2.0 chair. I was afraid that was the case on the programmer and the other issues with the chair. I'm checking but I have a bad feeling I don't really have a choice in the matter. I think I'm getting stuck with the chair. I've raised my concerns but they seem to be falling on deaf ears. I'm making one last effort to see if I can get them to at least look at a different chair. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions regarding another chair even if they wanted to stay with Pride/Quantum? I was thinking perhaps of one of the other chairs such as the "Z", "HD" (although I don't need it for the higher weight limit..I'm at about 200 lbs), Rival, etc might be a better option? I think those at least offer Group 24 batteries. Would any of those be a better chair? I don't mind a rear wheel drive platform at all either..in fact I'm not to keen on the mid-drive chairs anyway. I got to demo a mid-drive chair about 8-10 years ago and I wan't crazy about the "rocking" back and forth motion when you start or stop. I was "assured" that this issue had been resolved over the years and was no longer an issue and that the suspension was so much better in the chairs now. :) I'm hoping I'm not already locked into this Q6 Edge 2.0 but I fear I might be.

Do the 8" vs the standard 6" casters make much of a difference on the Edge 2.0 at all?

Thanks, it's good to at least know that the black tires shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Again, thanks for the responses. I appreciate any and all information anyone can give on the Q6 Edge 2.0 chairs, especially current information, although I'm not sure when the 2.0 version of the chair came out anyway.
Soulrider

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2017, 16:23

8 inch casters are smoother than 6 but they are bigger and theres SIX wheels... And non of the pride chairs have ANY suspension on the mid drives. The very wheels you sit on.

The fact that you weigh 200lb means that you need grp24 batteries if you plan on outdoor use. ALL lead powered chairs struggle with batteries, esp today with fancy HEAVY seating on top, so you should at least start with the biggest common size. But the programming issue remains on all modern US pride chairs. UK ones get PG drives controllers so thats easier.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 04 Jul 2017, 03:24

It would help if you went to the User Control Panel (button near the top of each page) and filled in your location - this is an international forum, and what the options are vary a lot by country...

At least in the US, you are supposed to have some level of choice in what you get for a chair... In theory you get 'assessed' as needing a certain level of functionality in your chair, depending on the exact details of your diagnosis... You are then supposed to be able to get ANY chair that provides that level of performance.... This means you should be able to choose among brands, models and so on....

Reality as I understand it, is that the dealer will only get reimbursed a certain fixed amount for a given level of chair, and that gives them an incentive to push you as hard as they can into the products that give them the biggest profit margins... Your only defence is to do some research on EXACTLY what options your insurance will cover, and be a rock hard advocate for your own interests....

Remember that YOU (and possibly any supporting family members) are the only one that cares about what is in YOUR interests... The Dealer has his best interest in how much profit he makes... The insurance companies / gov't agencies really would rather you DIED (you are expen$ive!) but failing that, only want to pay for the cheapest piece of crap they can get you to take....

So -
1. Learn what your options are - go to any local disability rights organizations and ask them, as they are mostly outside the network of the DME / Insurance company... They may not be able to give exact details about everything, but should be able to tell you what choices you MUST be offered...

2. Talk with your doctors and / or PT/OT types and get as precise information as you can about just what your diagnosis is, and what they have prescribed for you in the way of a chair and seating (including stuff like tilt/recline, etc...)

3. Do some serious research on the 'Net - look at both all the models in the Pride / Quantum line, and any other brands that look like they might have suitable chairs.... Use their dealer locators to see who they list as selling chairs in their area...

4. Look up (and talk to) any other DME dealers in your area - just because your local rehab may have a sweetheart deal with a given DME vendor does not mean that they are the only people you can deal with....

5. Learn who / what the local agencies are that take complaints about bad dealings on the part of vendors / insurance companies....

Then when you go into the dealer, be ready to advocate for yourself - tell them that you know what you have rights to from step 1, and DEMAND that they listen to what you tell them.... Ask about the Specific chairs you are interested in from step 3, and insist that they tell you why they weren't offered... Insist that they tell you just how and why anything they recommend for or against is related to your diagnosis from step 2.... Don't be afraid to tell them you have been talking to their competition, and don't be afraid to switch if you like the other dealer better... And last, don't be hesitant about mentioning the complaint taking agency.....

ex-Gooserider

Soulrider wrote:Thanks for the responses on the Q6 Edge 2.0 chair. I was afraid that was the case on the programmer and the other issues with the chair. I'm checking but I have a bad feeling I don't really have a choice in the matter. I think I'm getting stuck with the chair. I've raised my concerns but they seem to be falling on deaf ears. I'm making one last effort to see if I can get them to at least look at a different chair. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions regarding another chair even if they wanted to stay with Pride/Quantum? I was thinking perhaps of one of the other chairs such as the "Z", "HD" (although I don't need it for the higher weight limit..I'm at about 200 lbs), Rival, etc might be a better option? I think those at least offer Group 24 batteries. Would any of those be a better chair? I don't mind a rear wheel drive platform at all either..in fact I'm not to keen on the mid-drive chairs anyway. I got to demo a mid-drive chair about 8-10 years ago and I wan't crazy about the "rocking" back and forth motion when you start or stop. I was "assured" that this issue had been resolved over the years and was no longer an issue and that the suspension was so much better in the chairs now. :) I'm hoping I'm not already locked into this Q6 Edge 2.0 but I fear I might be.

Do the 8" vs the standard 6" casters make much of a difference on the Edge 2.0 at all?

Thanks, it's good to at least know that the black tires shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Again, thanks for the responses. I appreciate any and all information anyone can give on the Q6 Edge 2.0 chairs, especially current information, although I'm not sure when the 2.0 version of the chair came out anyway.
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby mleedix1 » 31 Aug 2017, 17:21

I was sent for a custom chair. A long process to get through medicare's rules. But ended up stuck with the Q6 Edge 2.0. My biggest complaint when the process started was that my old chair got stuck too easy and didn't want to deal with that again. NuMotion rep assured me that wouldn't happen. Well here we are... dumb chair would get stuck on a small coin if it had a rain drop on it. Ok, not that bad but you get the idea

So here is my question- It's not a wheelchair tire but I see several 4/4.80 x 8 knobby tires out there. Has anyone tried swapping out the Q6 tires to increase traction?
mleedix1

Postby Sully » 31 Aug 2017, 19:00

Soulrider; Listen to what Goose is telling you. My one addition if the vendor does not supply you with the make and model "YOU" asked for. You do not have to sign for what they deliver. When "YOU" sign for it -- it's yours. What Goose is trying to prevent is "YOU" accepting something "YOU" didn't ask for. Sales men in any industry almost never listen to what you wish. If you catch them yessing you to death just leave their premises or tell them if they have trouble listening to you will dismiss them from your presence.

What you and everyone else needs to realize YOU -- are charged by insurance, Medicare, or whatever, those are charged is against your name, with what ever you agree to and accept, there are no do overs.
Sully

Postby sacharlie » 01 Sep 2017, 01:37

mleedix1 wrote:I was sent for a custom chair. A long process to get through medicare's rules. But ended up stuck with the Q6 Edge 2.0. My biggest complaint when the process started was that my old chair got stuck too easy and didn't want to deal with that again. NuMotion rep assured me that wouldn't happen. Well here we are... dumb chair would get stuck on a small coin if it had a rain drop on it. Ok, not that bad but you get the idea

So here is my question- It's not a wheelchair tire but I see several 4/4.80 x 8 knobby tires out there. Has anyone tried swapping out the Q6 tires to increase traction?

Never seen anything bigger than 3.5x8 tires for a 8 inch scooter/power chair wheel. Are these wheelbarrow stud tires?
Here in the USA GREED is GLORIFIED. The TOP 0.25% live off the backs of the WORKING MIDDLE CLASS.
sacharlie

Postby mleedix1 » 01 Sep 2017, 02:05

sacharlie wrote:
mleedix1 wrote:I was sent for a custom chair. A long process to get through medicare's rules. But ended up stuck with the Q6 Edge 2.0. My biggest complaint when the process started was that my old chair got stuck too easy and didn't want to deal with that again. NuMotion rep assured me that wouldn't happen. Well here we are... dumb chair would get stuck on a small coin if it had a rain drop on it. Ok, not that bad but you get the idea

Never seen anything bigger than 3.5x8 tires for a 8 inch scooter/power chair wheel. Are these wheelbarrow stud tires?

You are correct it is not a wheelchair tire persay and may not even work.

I've not tried this yet so they may not even work. Here is the one I'm looking at potentially trying. I am a bit concerned about the chair having the umph to turn the slightly larger diameter of the tire. The width I can machine an adapter if need be so that is hopefully a non issue. I was just curious if any of you have tried it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Industries-20047-4-80-4-00-8-Air-Filled-Pneumatic-Tire-with-Knobby/111769492279?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
mleedix1

Postby sacharlie » 01 Sep 2017, 02:20

Carlisle, Kenda, Duro and others make wheelbarrow tires that size. I have Michelin 3.5x8 street tread scooter tires on my q6. Better ride than the stock 3x8 gimp grey tires.
These 3.5x8 are 15" tall by 3.5" and haven't decreased the range that I can notice.
Here in the USA GREED is GLORIFIED. The TOP 0.25% live off the backs of the WORKING MIDDLE CLASS.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 01 Sep 2017, 16:06

Bigger diameter ALWAYS costs some range, causes average battery depth of discharge to increase, and reduces torque proportionally. So the answer is that it depends if you can live with the results. going from 14 to 16 diameter is about 12 percent change in radius. 12% less range 12% less torque.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mleedix1 » 01 Sep 2017, 17:40

sacharlie wrote:Carlisle, Kenda, Duro and others make wheelbarrow tires that size. I have Michelin 3.5x8 street tread scooter tires on my q6. Better ride than the stock 3x8 gimp grey tires.
These 3.5x8 are 15" tall by 3.5" and haven't decreased the range that I can notice.

That is the answer I was looking to find.

Or course range and torque are huge concerns. But my biggest concern is the ride and traction [to a point involves torque] of course. But this chair beats my neck and back to pieces. Live and learn - my next chair will be similar to Burgerman chairs. Still
working on cad atm but planning just a couple of small changes but for the most part love his design.

Burgerman wrote:...if you can live with the results...

That is the key. I'm hoping to tweak the frame just a tad and get some 24s in there. Width is close enough that it seems feasible but that is on the back burner until we can straighten out the ride. And of course educate the rep that sold this to me. Reading some of your comments earlier on this thread really make me wish we'd asked more questions and spoke my mind before signing the papers.
mleedix1

Postby Burgerman » 01 Sep 2017, 18:05

The biggest issue is (ignoring the mid drive thing) lack of any suspension. You really need to fit these as sidewalls and low pressures are your only way of getting a decent ride.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... es-700.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mleedix1 » 01 Sep 2017, 18:56

This is my long term plan. I love your design.
mleedix1

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews