Quickie Q7 Power Chair

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quickie Q7 Power Chair

Postby ajk1248 » 10 Jan 2016, 20:44

I am from the USA. I just went to get my first power wheel chair and they put me the Quickie Q7. I wonder if anyone out there knows anything about them? I would like to know are they any good for both inside and outside? Like do they really do well in small spaces? I have a very small apartment not much room for turning. Also I want to be able to travel outside to the stores and stuff. I seen a video where it was going up ramps and having trouble tipping backwards is this true?
If this isn't a good chair I would like to know what you think of the Quantum Q6 Edge2.0 iLevel. Or if you have any other suggestions of a midwheel?
Thank you
April
ajk1248

Re: Quickie Q7 Power Chair

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 11 Jan 2016, 00:44

The Q7 is a manual chair. Do you mean the QM-710?
MenCallMeGimpy

Re: Quickie QM7 Power Chair

Postby ajk1248 » 11 Jan 2016, 22:10

Yes I did mean the Quickie QM 7. I was confused by all the back and forth with the vendor.
April
ajk1248

Re: Quickie Q7 Power Chair

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 11 Jan 2016, 22:27

I have no direct experience of the chair, but here are a few general considerations.

It's a mid-wheel-drive chair, which means it will turn around on the spot. This is generally considered good from the perspective of navigating tight spaces indoors. That said, you need to make sure the rear casters don't snag table legs or corners.

The MWD layout, which makes the chair good indoors, makes it less than optimal outdoors. With very few exceptions, MWD chairs aren't great outdoors. The drive wheels tend to be directly beneath the rider and are unsprung, so any irregularities in the terrain are transmitted directly to the rider's spine. Also, the small 6" casters are prone to bogging down on softer ground. Finally, MWD chairs are prone to "beaching" in situations (like curbs or sudden dips) where the front and rear casters are on solid ground, but the drive wheels are suspended in mid air.

Generally speaking, rear wheel drive chairs are better for outdoors, but do suffer a bit on indoor maneuverability. The Quickie 636 or 646 are the RWD equivalents of the QM7.
MenCallMeGimpy

Return to Powerchair Reviews