Harrier Plus powered wheelchair

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Harrier Plus powered wheelchair

Postby Juney » 02 Feb 2016, 16:44

I am waiting for my first ever powered wheelchair, a Harrier a plus, can anyone give me feedback on it please?
Juney

Re: Harrier Plus powered wheelchair

Postby Burgerman » 02 Feb 2016, 17:13

Well I would but you wouldnt like it. Seriously.

Basically its cheap. And you get what you pay for. Small batteries, little power, low speeds, skinny hard tyres, harsh ride, low on range and pretty much only for shopping centres and indoors. Sounds like you have visited the UK Wheelchair services. Its folding of course. But there are better lighter lithium powered foldiong shopping type solutions. As a full time wheelchair its not ideal. But we dont know why/how it will be used.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 02 Feb 2016, 19:08

Had a very interesting conversation with an NRS representative last week - NRS are a commercial organisation that provide under contract 'wheelchair services' to local authorities and NHS trusts (or whatever they're calling themselves this week). It seems that each authority/trust decides how many chairs they are likely to need/support each year and 'negotiate' (I use the term loosely) a package price with NRS who offer a fixed and very limited set of chair models within the price agreed - in my NHS trust the default chair is the Invacare Spectra Plus though they trialled the TDX which was seemingly 'not liked by users' so was dropped. As you've pointed out before BM, unless you argue for something different then the default is what you get and most, if not all, 1st time users have no frame of reference to argue for something better (though one could argue ANY powerchair is better than a manual, so just getting over that hurdle is a step forward).

My advice to the OP is, if the chair turns out not to work for you, go back and demand something better, but be prepared for a fight.
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Sully » 02 Feb 2016, 21:13

This is a universal problem, not just your NIH except NIH affects Y'all, The first time buyer is prey to the politically appointed hacks who administer these programs. I dare say if these folks were to be the end user, they would choose their offerings differently. A first time user, is a "babe in the woods", they are caught probably at one of the lowest mentally and physically point in their entire lives. Then they are inundated with half true information. Most are told quite factually that "THIS" is what you can get, or what "we" are willing to give you, take it or leave it.

I am quite sure this happened to you as well John. You say they gave you a manual chair to start. However, I ask how long did it take you to revolt? When you woke up and realized you were f----- up, it all took some time to reflect on what had happened. And how you could conduct the rest of your life, with the restrictions that it faced. No one is ever previously prepared to have their life all planned before the fact, of a catastrophe. . Yet decisions must be made, a life to live, and time will not slow down for us to make a decision. Then these folks who have no clue to what you are all about, are going to "help" you. Then you are offered a piece of junk to convey you about. Hmmmmm.
Sully

Postby Juney » 02 Feb 2016, 22:41

Thanks for your replies. It was the local nhs wheelchair service that told me this was the best chair for me and as you can imagine I was over the moon just to be told I could some independence back and actually venture out of my home at last! I will take on board what you have said and if the chair doesn't suit my needs I am not one to keep my mouth shut :lol:
Juney

Postby Burgerman » 03 Feb 2016, 11:49

Yep they tell everyone that...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 04 Feb 2016, 13:13

You say you are waiting for your first powered chair so I assume Wheelchair services have been providing you with a manual chair and almost any powered chair is going to have some advantages over a manual chair. How long are you going to have to wait for the Harrier Plus?

I was very grateful when WC services gave me my first manual chair because it gave me more independance than I had before even though it was a crude "£100" basic folding chair. Within a few months I realised I needed something easier and lighter (after seeing and speaking to other wc users) and WC services re-assessed me for a Quickie GPV manual which was a great improvement.

After a few years of this my arms and particularly shoulders and wrists were getting painful (surprise surprise !) and this limited my range seriously and I was very worried about wearing them out, so WC services supplied a powerchair which I now use as a back-up.

Each of these steps was an improvement but until I had used each chair for some time I didn't know what I didn't know, so wasn't in a position to seek anything better. Then I was directed to this site and my eyes were opened.

I'm certainly lagging behind many of the members of this site (e.g. I still use lead batteries) but I have four different powerchairs that I have modified to a small or large extent to suit me better. None have cost me much as my preferred suppliers are eBay and local "mobility dealers" trade-in wrecks.

You should enjoy the freedom your first powerchair gives you, while learning what you can from this site and your own experience. You should then be empowered to seek what you really want.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 04 Feb 2016, 14:37

True. It takes many people some yerars to figure out whats wrong and what could be better and everyone is different.

My problem is that I went from able bodied, 37, and landed up in a hospital paralised. So my perspective is from someone that cannot walk or move at all without wheels. As such its all or nothing.

Manual chairs as used by many paraplegics offer *nothing* over a GOOD compact powerchair. Not width, length, or indoor capability. And they certainly are an unstable base for working from in any form, carrying anything like a bowl of soup. You need both hands. So opening a door to cary something hot that spills is impossible. And outdoors they really are hopeless. Even getting to a pub across the road completelyu exahusted me, and that is a very small hill and a flat surface. And cold, wet tyres/pushrims, tiny casters jamming everywhere makes it a complete nightmare. And god forbid you try carrying 3 pints back from the bar! Terrible life limiting experience. That lasted 2 months once back home after a year in a spinal injuries unit.

And the only GOOD thing is that they are light. So easy to get into a car. But its not easy to get ME into a car... So thats also a bit pointless.

So I made a decision. A large expensive one. To get any real independence back, I NEEDED a good powerchair, as good as possible and as compact as possible. And that means I NEEDED a van to get in, and drive from a wheelchair. And that means I needed a decent paved driveway with space. And sxo on. These are all parts of the puzzle. They are all essential and work together. And since I cant walk that means at least one extra back up powerchair. Now I can get in, drive, go where I want. And dont actually need the van for local trips, because anything you normally drive to, like a pub or shopping centre I just use the powerchair. Its easier and by the time you park a car and wait in traffic its just as fast. With the advantage that I have yet to be stopped for being drunk in charge of a wheelchair.

So a big expensive plan to regain my independence. I did the same at my house, with walls, gardens, everything made accessible, open areas, doors that bash out of the way in both directions, tons of space by removing walls etc. And low maintainance etc for the future, lights and heat that turn on and off as needed automatically, black tiles and carpets and wet room floors so tyres dont mark, level access entrances, wide doors, etc. At some point you need to make a big plan andc figure out where to start. Preferably before you start wasting money modifying houses in the wrong place, or buying wrong equipment only to start over.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 11:32

Juney wrote:I am waiting for my first ever powered wheelchair, a Harrier a plus, can anyone give me feedback on it please?

It's basically an ugly spectra plus and all black/silver. For a first chair it isn't bad but the motors gear boxes tend to wear out. You'll get about 8miles or 2 hours full throttle out of it fairly easily. Make sure the guy programs it so speeds are evenly spread 1=20% 2=40% 3=60% 4=80% and 5=100%. You want the turning on 5 to be quite quick and sensitive but more sedate on 1 and 2 for example. But dont turn down acceleration as it'll be 3 sec delay. just turn down the speeds. If Programmed well the lack of mph can be redeemed slightly by maneuverability. There's no suspension at all so expect a bumpy ride.
smithy2389

Return to Powerchair Reviews