Bodypoint Powerchair Joystick Handles, harnesses and belts.

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Bodypoint Powerchair Joystick Handles, harnesses and belts.

Postby Glitterfairy » 04 Mar 2016, 14:42

For awhile now, I have been very interested in Bodypoint's range of joystick handles and postioning harnesses and belts. I found this site which has a good decision guide regarding the handles. Information about the harnesses and belts is also on the site. The thing is I have lack of sensation in my hands fingers and arms and contractures in my arms and fingers. I have muscle spasms that are so strong they have broken other handles. My range of movement is very limited in my hands and fingers and I can't control a powerchair myself. I have spastic quad CP & hydrocephalus. Which handle (if any) would you suggest I try? Ball type handles and the standard joystick handles are impossible for me to grip.

In terms of a Bodypoint belt, I am thinking 4 point, rear adjust so a carer can adjust it as I can't adjust due to grip/ stamina/ strength / coordination no matter how hard I try. With sub asis pads and definitely a padded belt.
A stayflex chest harness also would help I think. Has anyone tried these products and what do you think of them?
Seen the BP Hip Grip but apprehensive about that in my situation as not too much trunk control and also have a VP shunt for my hydrocephalus which goes from my brain- abdomen. Have read warmings about Hip Grip being used if people have anything implanted in that area.

http://www.besrehab.net/find-a-solution ... k-handles/
Glitterfairy

Re: Bodypoint Powerchair Joystick Handles, harnesses and bel

Postby ex-Gooserider » 07 Mar 2016, 04:56

This is yet another variation on the same question you keep asking about various seating and positioning options, and it gets the exact same answer - WE CAN'T TELL :!: Stuff to fit one's body is individualized and not the sort of thing that we can give more than general comments about since we don't have you physically sitting in front of us to try stuff out on.... (and most of us don't have the appropriate training to do so even if you were)

This is the sort of thing that you have to get from a seating / physical therapy / etc. clinic,live, in person, from someone that knows what they are doing, but most critically where you are physically present to have stuff tried on....

That said, I have a BP leg support on my manual chair to keep my feet from sliding off the back of the foot platform. It works for me and I like the way it is made with a stiff material better than the more flexible one that came with the chair, but that is just me... I would say that from what I've seen, BP stuff seems to be well made, nicely finished and good quality, but I can't comment on how it would work for you functionally....

In terms of the joystick handle - they are all just a connection between your hand and the joystick... The shape is only important to the extent that you can grab and manipulate it - again something that we can't tell online... It is also going to be a problem if your spasticity is such that you are breaking it at the connection to the joystick, as there isn't anything really that can be done about that junction... If you are breaking things there, then the only option I can think of would be to look for a different sort of control input, but again that is the sort of thing we can't tell you what to do on-line....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Powerchair Reviews