Jive M review

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Jive M review

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 12:26

I have had my Jive for 3 years. I use a caps two seating system which I've had for years. My chair has
[*]tilt/rise
[*]4 pole motors
[*]R-net LED User Joystick JIV100152
[*]70amp/h batteries
[*]13km/h top speed
[*]caps 2 interface board.
[*]led lights
I have since customised my chair with black tires and 83amp/h batteries.
First thoughts the responsiveness of the controls and the way it descends 5"+ curbs is breath-takingly good. Ride is firm but supple and it feels more stable then the GrooveM especially up hill or off road. Grip is much better. Rapid changes in direction is easy and everything is immediate. There is no roll back before brakes lock on even on steep inclines. Great indoors or around an old university that isn't wheelchair friendly.

In three years, I have had to change batteries once, power module once, suspension twice, controller once, tires twice, lights once and arm rests once. My first issue was rain damage after only 6 months use! Basically the power module is mounted vertically so the plug sockets are facing upwards and act as little cups for rain water! The hydraulic rams are crap and break so easily. One exploded in my bedroom whilst I was away leaving oil everywhere. Then their replacement finally wore out few weeks ago! When the suspension goes the chair pitches around at even the smallest gforces and so driving my car becomes impossible. The range of the chair is 12miles best and currently with 83amp/h batteries its less then 8! The Lack of range and unreliable suspension mean I would rate the older Groove higher. I have been up hills in swansea and the motors overheat but without warning the chair just becomes sluggish and uncontrollable! I never had any issues with the Groove motors. The CofG is so sensitive I can't carry any loads on the back as the chair cornering characteristics becomes horrible. It would be totally unsuitable for anyone above 20stone. I actually think my B400 has much better range!

Verdict:
Flatters to deceive.
Speed 13km/h
Range 13km
Reliability 3 out of 5
Maneuverability 5 out of 5
Curb climbing up 3"
Forwards Curb climbing down 5"+
Off road 3 out of 5
smithy2389

Re: Jive M review

Postby Burgerman » 14 Mar 2016, 16:03

The range of the chair is 12miles best and currently with 83amp/h batteries its less then 8!

Ah is ony one metric of batteries. You would do well to read the battery thread pinned at the top of the forum. Its possible and very likely that the smaller lighter Odyssey 68Ah battery will give greater range than your unknown brand 80+Ah batteries.

Esp with a chair using faster motors thyat draws a higher current. I am heavy. I can get much more than 8 miles with that chairs motors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 14 Mar 2016, 16:50

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 18:00

Burgerman wrote:
The range of the chair is 12miles best and currently with 83amp/h batteries its less then 8!

Ah is ony one metric of batteries. You would do well to read the battery thread pinned at the top of the forum. Its possible and very likely that the smaller lighter Odyssey 68Ah battery will give greater range than your unknown brand 80+Ah batteries.

Esp with a chair using faster motors thyat draws a higher current. I am heavy. I can get much more than 8 miles with that chairs motors.

I agree sadly the chap that sold them to me had no idea what he was doing and now he's left the business! Unfortunately, although I have an engineering degree my disability doesn't let me get my hands dirty and I can't expect my carers to do it. Nor do I have the time or money to sort it. Also I fly a lot so anything other then gel is a no no for me
smithy2389

Postby Burgerman » 14 Mar 2016, 18:34

AGM which is almost all cheap powerchair batteries are fine for flying. Gel like the MK is rarer and more expensive. They also require a ower voltage charger than the typical cheap AGM which is likely what your 83Ah batteries are.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 20:27

My options are:
[*]Get expensive batteries and hope it solves issue.
[*]Find £6000 for the Storm 4 explore
[*]Sell my Jive and go for a free NHS chair and maybe pay for extras like speed, raise/tilt and lights.
smithy2389

Postby rover220 » 14 Mar 2016, 20:33

I wouldn't buy a storm 4. Big heavy chair. Better off with a puma 40.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 14 Mar 2016, 20:42

Speed costs.

That is the sunrise chair for eg uses either a 6mph 10kph motor, or a 8mph 13kph motor.

The faster one uses 25% more power at EVERY speed. And at every turn or course correction. That means that the batteries will last Less well, give less range. But its worse than you think. The cheap batteries have higher internal resistance, and greater voltage drop under load. And more Peukert losses. So they may give much less range than the smal speed difference would suggest (than on the 10kph chair).

The best batteries for the faster chair would be MK gel with a GOOD 14.1 (28.2v) gel freindly charger. Or for severe use, sport, off road, the Odyssey PC1500 68Ah batteries. With a 14.7 (29.4v) AGM charger. Both will give similar range in severe use, Odyssey wil give more torque and control, faster charging, but the MK wins in normal use.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews