Mid range powerchair recommendations?

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Mid range powerchair recommendations?

Postby clairc » 08 May 2016, 16:04

Hi!

I'm a part time wheelchair user and I'm looking at recommendations for mid range powerchair.

I need something that can handle a couple of hours pavement use a day and that has a folding backrest as occasionally I will need to transport it in the back of our Mazda 6 estate (via a wheelchair ramp). I've used mobility scooters for years but I'm having trouble gripping the controllers for prolonged periods.

I'm self funding and buying second hand. I've been looking at the following models:

Days/Drive Medical Volt
Karma Blazer
Ottobock B400
Electric Mobility Rascal P200

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models? Are there any others you would recommend? I need to have a fold down back rest to get it in the back of the car but I don't need a fully folding chair.

Thanks!

Clair
clairc

Re: Mid range powerchair recommendations?

Postby rover220 » 08 May 2016, 16:47

B400 is a good shout as it can take grp 24 batteries.

It is very heavy for what it is though.

I would look towards a spectra xtr2 personally.
rover220

Re: Mid range powerchair recommendations?

Postby clairc » 11 May 2016, 19:26

Thanks!

All the Spectra chairs I've seen have skinny front castors, which put me off a bit. I've seen photographs of ones with wider castors but none for sale.

Anyway, I took a punt on a reasonably priced Days Volt chair on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I'm really pleased with it. I had a short run out in it today and it was a decent speed and pretty responsive. It even handled a short cut across the grass and trip over some cobbles because someone at the council thought it would be a good idea to dig up both sides of the pavement at the same time!

I think it would benefit from a better cushion. I doubled up with the cushion from my manual chair which made it more comfortable. Going over the bobbled pacing at dropped kerbs was a dream compared to my little mobility scooter. I think I'm going to ditch the kerb climber as it seems to get in the way rather than be of any use.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Clair
clairc

Return to Powerchair Reviews