Quantum Q6 Edge

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quantum Q6 Edge

Postby wittylady48 » 08 Sep 2016, 15:56

I'm 67 and live in a nursing home. I have used our chairs since 1983 starting with an Amigo three wheel cart.

My fifth power chair is a Quantum Q6 Edge which was purchased by Medicaid and delivered to my nursing home in May. At the time I was working with occupational therapy and they were to assist me with the transition from my Invacare TDX to the Quantum.

But, I could not reach the joystick to operate it. I'm an incomplete quadriplegic and use my left hand to operate the joystick. The vendor had it way too far away for me. He moved it in a couple of weeks later where I could bump into it getting into and out of the chair. I stand with assistance to transfer.

A week or so later the vendor tech tried again by putting a metal rod under the left arm rest – which raised it some. I could operate it but I did not feel comfortable. While using the chair, I bashed my leg on a beauty salon chair that I could not seem to get away from. It was a very bad bruise on June 22 that is still purple.

But I endeavored on, and used the chair. Somehow, at the end of July, a wire was pulled out from the joystick to the controller and the contact was broken. I was using the smaller "attendant joystick" which I have used on two previous Invacare chairs. But, when the connection broke, I was told I could not get the exact same joystick. They said they no longer are making that type because cell phone signals can interfere with it?? I found that suspect but did not question.

I got another joystick – that is larger – and taller – and I could not reach it. The size difference makes a difference. It also had a different joystick cover/top that was hard plastic – not softer plastic like the first one. I noticed that joystick cover allowed me to be able to steer better. But when the vendor himself loosened the joystick to get it in a better position, it would not stay there. It kept flipping in towards my left leg. I tried to use it but ended up getting my right toe caught in a doorway – and bruising my foot. So I got out of the chair until he could be tightened down and made safe.

I am back using the chair. The joystick is still too high. I have to put my hand on it because I do not have enough strength to raise or lower my hand easily. I think this is kind of unsafe but it's the only way I can operate the chair right now.

I only have speeds 1 through 4 programmed for use. The vendor and his tech both seem to think I'm not quite ready for speed 5.

I have to admit this Quantum turns on a dime. That may be it's best feature. But the jerkiness and the difficulty of pulling it out of turn – is something else.

I think the vendor and his tech both think that I am just an oldster who cannot adapt to something new and speedier. I'm just surprised that a Quantum Q6 Edge would be prescribed for someone who is older and needs a power chair to have precise and nuanced movements – not jerky ones.
wittylady48

Re: Quantum Q6 Edge

Postby Sully » 08 Sep 2016, 16:25

Witty Lady; 90% of your control problems can and should be corrected by making adjustments to the controller functions. But I fear you are surrounded by inept dolts.

Sully

Postby wittylady48 » 08 Sep 2016, 16:32

You may indeed be right about the DOLTS part!
wittylady48

Postby woodygb » 08 Sep 2016, 17:24

Many us on this forum are technically minded ( it would take very little IMO to sort everything out ) and the sort of problem your having with "Tech support" is ... sadly .. exceptionally common.
The "fix" should be EASY for any competent "Tech" ...but they haven't got a Scooby about what they are doing!

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/scooby_doo
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby hobie1dog » 08 Sep 2016, 19:01

woodygb wrote:Many us on this forum are technically minded ( it would take very little IMO to sort everything out ) and the sort of problem your having with "Tech support" is ... sadly .. exceptionally common.
The "fix" should be EASY for any competent "Tech" ...but they haven't got a Scooby about what they are doing!

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/scooby_doo

Thanks Woody: I waited 50 years to know that, thanks for the link. It will be my new slang word.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 08 Sep 2016, 21:37

As Woody says, many of the issues you are facing could be sorted out by reprogramming your chair's controller software to be more direct and responsive to your inputs. My Frontier V6, for example, was pretty wallowy and vague when I first got it, with the result that I tore several chunks out of doorways in my house before I finally obtained the necessary programming hardware/software. Now, it does exactly what I tell it to do and I can thread it through tight spaces with ease.

Now for the bad news. Pride/Quantum make it very difficult if not impossible to get the necessary tools to reprogram their chairs. They go so far as to pretend the tools don't exist and get quite angry when this lie is pointed out to them. Their entire attitude as a company is that "cripples" are too stupid to know what they need, with the result that Pride/Quantum chairs are generally programmed to handle like shopping trolleys. It's lowest common denominator thinking all the way.

That said, a lot of people on here have extensive technical knowledge, so I'm hopeful they can point you toward solutions that meet your needs.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Sully » 09 Sep 2016, 14:00

Gimpy; I find many just ordinary people yell at me thinking I will understand what they are saying better. Who's the idiot here ? Like so many things that people do that are idiotic to us; most of us just grin and bear it. However, what is obvious at least to me the vendor, who supplies the technician to you does not hire techs who are sensitive(understands) to your needs or requirements. "I" now 77 years old, and I would be furious at someone who dismisses me or my requirements especially here in my own home. We all sort of expect or trust the technician the manufacturer's representative sends to solve the problems a power chair is competent as, we are all too often mistaken in our trust.

Pride leads the list of inept technicians and this sort of bad business practices. This is a case that makes my point.

Sully

Postby Burgerman » 09 Sep 2016, 18:28

They go so far as to pretend the tools don't exist and get quite angry when this lie is pointed out to them

They don't pretend. They flat out lie! At least on a forum not far away from this one. So the poor dealer, even if competent which is more often not the case, cant fix it anyway...

This makes all prides chairs a non starter for my needs.I absolutely NEED my chair properly controllable. They are abysmal and I couldn't live with one day to day without fixing it. It makes every moment frustrating.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 09 Sep 2016, 18:51

url=http://www.curtis.ch/patches/oem_dongle/1314-PCPS_OEM_4-2-7-372_setup-dongle-pride.exe
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 09 Sep 2016, 19:00

Quite. But according to mark that's impossible! And that they write the code and update it on PCs directly and in his words 'at the true engineering level' and that only one programmer level exists. The one on the order form. Thats actually just the very limited Dealer level one.

So its all hidden from us in a bunch of lies. And its all curtis controller technology anyway. Branded for them.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 09 Sep 2016, 21:52

woodygb wrote:http://www.curtis.ch/patches/oem_dongle/1314-PCPS_OEM_4-2-7-372_setup-dongle-pride.exe

http://www.curtis.ch/patches/oem_dongle ... -pride.exe

My old thread is probably still over there (I haven't visited the site in several months), where I tried to get Mark to admit that Pride controllers are just rebadged Curtis products. He got quite sniffy and, in typical Mark fashion, quickly turned things personal and insulting. That's his standard MO, unfortunately; part of his very limited arsenal of tools for deflecting conversations away from the manifest deficiencies of his employer's products. His tenor was basically, "You hobbyists and idiot amateurs are spreading misinformation and confusion." Meanwhile, he says nonsense like "2018 will be a big year for innovation" with a straight face.

The guy's just a shill with his eye squarely on his paycheck. Presumably, Pride benefit by having a "pet gimp" on their payroll to show what a compassionate and customer-focused company they are. It's a win for everyone, except of course the poor people who have to use Pride products.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Burgerman » 09 Sep 2016, 23:50

His tenor was basically, "You hobbyists and idiot amateurs are spreading misinformation and confusion." Meanwhile, he says nonsense like "2018 will be a big year for innovation"

He means that HE IS. Partly through sheer ignorance, partly no understanding of physics ("based on true physics" as he says) partly because of lies. And his idea of innovation is cup holders in matched colours. Not much else changed in many years.

The hobbyists here already have the understanding, the people, and the technology that he claims they might get in 2020 a decade or so after the rest of the worlds EVs. But don't hold your breath. He said the same thing 10 years ago. Thank you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wittylady48 » 10 Sep 2016, 15:41

I tried both the links listed above. But, I am prompted for a login and password – which I do not have.

What am I missing? Is there another way to get there?

I've been to the Curtis site and see that their controllers look a lot like my Quantum.

But, my vendor's tech says he cannot improve the joystick performance by doing anymore tweaking with this device. Is there a computer program that vendors are supposed to have?

You guys know the technical stuff. I know about when I've encountered using power chairs. I'm just tired of excuse making on the part of the vendor.
wittylady48

Postby Burgerman » 10 Sep 2016, 17:30

The tech guys CANT fix it. Pride claim they make the Q-Logic, (they dont - curtis do). The point of the links was the name in the link. To prove than there actually IS an OEM version of the programmer that pride claim is a figment of our imagination. It simply shows they are lying.

There are a few here that have and use this OEM tool and it works on Q-Logic. It requires making cables/leads, and a little giggery pokery with the software and versions. But your tech, and pride cannot or rather will not fix your chair. Your tech guy knows no better. Pride will not allow it or admit the tool to fix it even exists.

This is why I wouldn't buy any pride products. As for your problem its hard to know how to help because of prides policy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wittylady48 » 10 Sep 2016, 19:17

I get it. I'm just stuck with this equipment.

But, I do appreciate the information.
wittylady48

Postby Burgerman » 10 Sep 2016, 21:43

Even though the tech guy cant get the right tools to do a proper job, he can get the DEALER version programmer. He should be able to improve things if he knows what he is doing. Albeit not to the point I would be happy. However thats the problem. They dont normally have much idea and just mess about and make it worse...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Sep 2016, 01:41

It sounds to me like there are at least two separate and different issues.... At least one should be readily fixable.

Problem one - The physical configuration of the joystick on the chair - possibly including the actual choice of joystick module.... This should absolutely be fixable - it is just metal brackets to get the stick positioned where it needs to be for Witty to operate it comfortably... Any competent tech should be able to figure it out - and if he can't, I'd be on the phone to the vendor DAILY demanding it be fixed - and possibly escalate to lawyers / disability commissions, etc... MAKE A STINK!

Problem two is the chair programming - as mentioned previously, it's a Pride product, so you are somewhat screwed - but even the Dealer level programming tools SHOULD be able to help some... Might also help to post tales of woe over on Junky Wheelchair - give Mark an opportunity to 'help' (Thank you)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby wittylady48 » 13 Sep 2016, 18:42

Thanks for the tip about getting in touch with that Mark guy.

I will try that.
wittylady48

Postby wittylady48 » 13 Sep 2016, 19:33

I tried to post a compressed photo of my old Invacare TDX. To me the device on the side looks like the little gizmo they plug-in to diagnose problems on your power chair. But, perhaps it is something different. I just know it's compact, the switch is on the bottom, and it sits sleekly to the back left side of the chair – where it is not in the way.

On my Quantum Q6 Edge the controller panel is mounted on the back on a grid that runs horizontally and vertically. It looks like we're trying to build the World Trade Tower on the back of my power chair. It's in the way at the beauty shop shampoo bowl. Of course, I'm sure mail text may not relate to my pain. But it's in the way for a lot of things. I've asked about moving it and of course I've gotten pushback.

I suppose if you have a power chair in a nursing facility you really have no reason to strive for aesthetics but compacting and streamlining are kind of important – especially in nursing homes small rooms and other places like doctors offices, the inside of minivans, movie theaters, public restrooms, getting in and out of restaurants, etc.

I also put a backpack on the back of my chair. Actually I have to. I probably look like a homeless person – tsk tsk… The tech says the backpack is too heavy. But I asked him about that in the beginning. They did not say it would be a problem.

I just think the controller should be in a better space. If it were more compact, that would be ideal.
wittylady48

Postby wittylady48 » 13 Sep 2016, 19:37

I tried to post a compressed photo of my old Invacare TDX. To me the device on the side looks like the little gizmo they plug-in to diagnose problems on your power chair. But, perhaps it is something different. I just know it's compact, the switch is on the bottom, and it sits sleekly to the back left side of the chair – where it is not in the way.

On my Quantum Q6 Edge the controller panel is mounted on the back on a grid that runs horizontally and vertically. It looks like we're trying to build the World Trade Tower on the back of my power chair. It's in the way at the beauty shop shampoo bowl. Of course, I'm sure the male tech may not relate to my pain. But it's in the way for a lot of things. I've asked about moving it and of course I've gotten pushback.

I suppose if you have a power chair in a nursing facility you really have no reason to strive for aesthetics but compacting and streamlining are kind of important – especially in nursing homes small rooms and other places like doctors offices, the inside of minivans, movie theaters, public restrooms, getting in and out of restaurants, etc.

I also put a backpack on the back of my chair. Actually I have to. I probably look like a homeless person – tsk tsk… The tech says the backpack is too heavy. But I asked him about that in the beginning. They did not say it would be a problem.

I just think the controller should be in a better space. If it were more compact, that would be ideal.
wittylady48

Postby MitoGirl » 22 Dec 2016, 08:41

It's NOT you! I had the same issue with my Quantum Q6 Edge. It didn't slow down when I made a turn, and I actually knocked the front screen door off it's henges all because when I lifted up off the stick...it didn't stop! I was blamed by my family as being a bad driver...I knew that wasn't it...but what could I do? I didn't know anything else.

Well, when the rep that was helping me before moved to a different provider...I went with him. I needed some adjustments to the back rest and so a guy came out to do this. He was only supposed to be there for 15 minutes. When he finished and I got in the chair...he noticed that it jerked me really bad. He said...hold on a minute, I gotta go get a tool in my truck. He came back and plugged in to my joystick and just so you know...there are hundreds of settings for this chair. He was looking through it and asked me, "Who programmed your chair?" I said, I don't know. The more he saw...he suddenly said OMG!

What was wrong? Well, first off the chair was set to turn at the same rate of speed that you drive forward. It's supposed to slow down when you go to turn. He adjusted this, as one other thing that I was wishing it would let me do. You are not alone...I've suffered injury and horrible bruising from the inept person that let this come to my home without being correctly put at the settings I personally need.

I don't think at this point it's safe to go faster either. But you need someone that knows how to read and really understand what setting are what...cause apparently for three years I was bashing into drywall, my front door, injuring myself, etc. Get someone else to look at the turning speed.

I hope you can get this fixed...cause my chair now drives like a whole new chair. It made that much difference. This took this guy longer to do this for me...but he was not leaving until I was safe in my chair. That's the kind of service you need! All the best!
MitoGirl

Return to Powerchair Reviews