permobil F5 no fenders deu to that electric problems

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

permobil F5 no fenders deu to that electric problems

Postby wheelboy » 14 Aug 2017, 07:16

Hi ,
Who recognize this ,
Your sitting in your Permobil F5 .And it starts to rain . Few mins later you get a wet back the whole backrest gets underneath the mud .And your chair stops working due to water .
Also between the backrest and the sitting cushion there is an apox 15cm hole so your lower back gets wet also and wind on lower back due to the open space . Te water gets everywhere .I had three times in 2 years that i have the chair now electric problems which let me stand without power 2x .Once it only gave a code . Asking permobil for a solution the answer is already 1,5 years . Were working on it . My question who recognize
This . And did they ore you have a solution? the backrest is replaced here since i got back problems i got a sit orthosis . which now is underneath the mud and water if it rains ore rained and the pavement is still wet .
wheelboy

Re: permobil F5 no fenders deu to that electric problems

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2017, 05:44

Did that post go through a blender before it made it here? :?

Are you asking if anyone else has water ingress problems on the F5?
And what mud? Is this from tyres?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 15 Aug 2017, 22:03

i think what he means is - the F5 has no fender ? and because of it - when it rains - the dirt from the ground - water etc, will get the chair dirty - shoot up the sides - the back of the chair - if you dont have a privacy flap there - it will go in the crack of your ass if you have a plumbers ass exposed back there :lol:

i think since theres alot of electronics on the back of the chair - all over those chairs - the water is getting in and affecting it - you would think with all that goes into making of those complicated chairs - there be a way to protect the sensitive stuff from minor rain etc, - no matter what chair - if theres no fender - you will get dirty over water street dirt etc, - i found that out with my chair recently for a few weeks no fender - i ended up putting it back - much better

on my new chair it wont have a fender so i have to deal with it then -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby wheelboy » 16 Aug 2017, 07:46

expresso wrote:i think what he means is - the F5 has no fender ? and because of it - when it rains - the dirt from the ground - water etc, will get the chair dirty - shoot up the sides - the back of the chair - if you dont have a privacy flap there - it will go in the crack of your ass if you have a plumbers ass exposed back there :lol:

i think since theres alot of electronics on the back of the chair - all over those chairs - the water is getting in and affecting it - you would think with all that goes into making of those complicated chairs - there be a way to protect the sensitive stuff from minor rain etc, - no matter what chair - if theres no fender - you will get dirty over water street dirt etc, - i found that out with my chair recently for a few weeks no fender - i ended up putting it back - much better

on my new chair it wont have a fender so i have to deal with it then -

That's what i meant .And sorry iam not a native English speaker .As i wrote due to no fenders on the rear wheels .That's why the mud and water can get to the electrical stuff . I asked Permobil NL if they had a solution .Until now no reply . I get the idea that they think that we go outside only when the weather is fine . My Question is who has a permobil with no fenders on the rear wheels and if you had the same problems ad did you get ore have a solution . Btw i have a sit orthosis now but when i had the original permobil seat with the opening i had put a garbage bag between the seat and backrest . Also before that dirty clothes at the back and wind on my lower spine .
wheelboy

Postby Burgerman » 16 Aug 2017, 12:02

Then you have 3 options.

1. Find, make, buy, bodge with duct tape or get the manufacturer to fit fenders.
2. Go out only when dry...
3. Find a better designed chair for your wet weather needs.

Although personally I dont think a splash of water should cause many problems. This is a very old chair that LIVES in the garden year on year. In storms, snow, you name it. When I need a backup, or a chair I dont care about to lend out, I use this. Here I am rinsing off a load of plaster (dry wall?) dust that it got covered in.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/hose.mp4

Wrong vid!! But you do NEED one of these hose reels if in a chair!

Here: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pdf-files/hose.mov Added good rinse!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Aug 2017, 15:33

thats a good hosing down for sure - i always wipe my chairs down when i get home - to get the most off - never hosed down my chairs that way - good video to show what they should be able to handle with Water Rain - i never had a issue with my chairs if i get caught in the rain while out - i always try not too - and would at least cover my JS with plastic bag - the rest nothing i can do - would have to just get wet

He needs at least a privacy flap for his rear between the seat back and cushion - and a fender if its a problem with out - i will have to deal with a chair with no fender soon myself - never paid much attention before since my chairs always had one - will have to do a good cleaning down each time its used -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Aug 2017, 19:08

That vid doesent show the volume of water well. Its much stronger than it appears. Even so it shows that a healthy joystick and an under seat power module is no problem in rain. That chair sees every storm, full winters outside and 3 days of rain at a time. Its abandoned outdoors. Charged every month. Always works fine. But its 18 years old and totally knackered!

I am not suggesting YOU try what I did, that was just to prove a point. And to stop most people worrying about getting caught out in a bit of rain occasionaly.

Its even worse if you see its 18 year old joystick! Theres tape over the missing on/off button, and the rubber gaitor is a little "tired" to put it mildly... Theres a hole drilled in the joystick bottom itself, and the casing, to let any water out.
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pdf-files/hose.jpg Close up!

Even cushion is waterproof. Its wrapped in polythene internally, and the cover sprayed with water-proofer. It barely gets wet. Quick shake, and wipe with towel and its good to use.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pdf-files/hose.mov Vid.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelboy » 17 Aug 2017, 10:36

i don't have a choice to make if i want to buy a powerchair .Here the gov pays for your chair .And the look whats the best cheap alternative .iam lucky at all to get a permobil F5 . Then don't go outside well i have to do some groceries sometime .And make alterations myself is forbidden . Everything has to go tru the bureaucratie . Until now permobil NL hasn't got a solution .It has already cost a new sit lift motor and a leg rest motor .my cushion is waterproof it has a rubber incontinence cover over it .And in my new sit orthosis i got a spare seat cover .
wheelboy

Postby Burgerman » 17 Aug 2017, 10:48

Same here. But you DO have choice. Buy and modify your OWN chair as many here do. If you limit yourself to the system, they you are up the creek without a paddle.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 18 Aug 2017, 22:03

Not related to the topic but a really nice place you have there Burgerman…

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2017, 11:03

My house? https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/20-we ... sp/7284481 some pictures there.

I live in a cheap area of the UK. Theres nice bits in this town, but there are more chaved bits! So you get a lot of property for your money. My area is all nice, privately owned, maintained well, no kids, quiet and safe. But go a mile or so in any direction and then not so much! I am surrounded by parks, train stations, town centre etc and good pubs and hotels. All nice and wheelchair freindly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews