Electric handbrake problem

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Electric handbrake problem

Postby mattross » 12 Jun 2017, 19:09

My drive from VW Caddy Life has many adaptions, including an electric handbrake. It's operated by a switch that sounds like a motor is connected to the handbrake, it takes about three seconds to enable and disable it. When I got to work this morning and tried to turn the handbrake on, nothing happened when I moved the switch. I left it with the park brake on by itself. Tonight when leaving work the switch still did nothing, but as I'd left it off I was able to get home. At home, the switch was working and I have been able to enable the handbrake, but the red LED to indicate the handbrake is on will not light up. I've left the handbrake off as I can still drive it like that, and never park on inclines anyway (as it's difficult getting in and out like that).

My thinking is it can't be a fuse or else it would not have worked at all tonight. One of the fuses in the fusebox could not be disconnected, not sure if it's just in tighter than the others or it has melted itself in place. Unwilling to use extra force in case it breaks. I suppose the switch could be loosely connected. Any ideas what else could be wrong?
mattross

Re: Electric handbrake problem

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2017, 23:08

I drive an auto obviously. I never used the handbrake on any of them in 21 years. The Park pawl inside the gearbox is way better than a handbrake.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby motoman » 13 Jun 2017, 12:45

I've got an electric parking brake on my van from EMC. a couple years ago it quit working. When the servo that runs it was opened up the motor was very corroded. On mine it looks like a window motor with a few extra parts.
motoman

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2017, 12:59

As with everything, if that had been assembled with care, grease, petroleum jelly or silicone grease on connectors, bearings and moving parts properly greased and adjusted for free play etc and the whole thing given a dousing in spray oil, on assembly against future corrosion it would likely still be working and could be disassembled easily 20 years on. But that kind of care never happens.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mattross » 13 Jun 2017, 18:48

Well today it's been working fine again. Will try and get into the habit of not using it when I'm parked and get it checked out at some point.
mattross

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's