POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: DIY PGDT interface for OEM PROGRAMMING

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2017, 16:52

Works fine on both here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:04

Yeah. Thanks John! But I'm not driving all the way from Bournemouth to have a borrow of yours. :x

Everyone tells me it's only a 10 minute job. I'm already a week older! :evil:
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:05

As I recall....Controllers that have been programmed with a later software version cannot be programmed with an earlier software version.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:23

Oh well, I got this little ex demo chair for a very good price. Its only use is to get me from my bed to the bathroom and stairlift so I'll have to learn to cope with its innacurate steering. Far cheaper to buy a pot of paint for the doorframes than a programmer.

I'm very grateful for all those who tried to help. Thank you.
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:28

I should be able to get the latest Dealer version.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:33

Will that allow the infamous turn limits to be removed ? That is all I really want to do.
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:35

Dunno... you have a P.M.

Latest version is 14_6_0
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby steves1977uk » 03 Sep 2017, 17:59

I've sent greybeard 14.6 OEM to remove any "walls".

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 18:17

What can I say, guys? Now I'm spoiled for choice :)

What a great resource this board is.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 21:58

Cracked it, guys! Very happy. Thanks again.
greybeard

Postby ex-Gooserider » 03 Sep 2017, 23:13

greybeard wrote:Used search but it only took me to a dick waving contest between supporters of Windows and Linux. :shock:
What I was looking for was if anyone has managed to reprogram their VR2 chairs using a Linux PC? Will the software load and be usable under Wine? Or MUST it be Windows?

For whatever it's worth, I won't allow anything by Microsoft on a computer that I use for daily stuff... I run all Linux and have for years...

However rather than futz around with WINE or other emulator stuff, I just got an old 'mini-note' with a copy of XP on it, and very carefully went in and removed / disabled anything that wanted to connect to the Internet.... I use it for the programming software, and a few other similar things like the software for my Hyperion, (haven't tried looking for the PL8 on Linux yet, may end up using the mini-note for that too...)

Ask around, if you have geeky / hoarding type friends, it is pretty good odds that someone might have one in their 'retired hardware' collection for free or cheap....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby greybeard » 04 Sep 2017, 00:28

Thanks for that ex-Gooserider, but I'm now the owner of a shiny new Windows 10 that let me reprogram my VR2. I'll just keep it on the laptop for programming without going online.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2017, 08:58

You guys are all crazy. Its safe, its better, its stable and it makes linux look like something from ww2 era.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 04 Sep 2017, 11:22

I've used Windows since 3.0 and never had issues, where do people get these ideas???? :? If crappy hardware is used then expect problems with Windows or Linux.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby steves1977uk » 04 Sep 2017, 11:35

https://www.neowin.net/news/netmarketsh ... ember-2015

And I quote this comment by Mobius Enigma...

Using Linux in embedded systems has been and continues to be a huge security risk. A lot of companies develop appliance devices and don't provide updates, or stop updates after a small timeframe, and these devices are left open to new types of malware damning them via older exploits.

Next, combine this problem with any device running custom code and how Linux's dependencies work, making it even impossible for the customer to manually update the devices, as it breaks the code that gives the device its functionality.

We were working with a couple of ISPs last month that not only have insanely outdated and insecure Linux appliances doing load balancing and caching, but they were also stuffed full of various type of malware that were doing injections, spoofing, and other man in the middle attacks on content flowing through them.

Compound all that with end users running their own systems that are not updated frequently (Linux/Android/etc) and it becomes a huge mess that without physically gaining access to all end user phones and devices, may never fully be resolved with a circular nightmare of infections.

One ISPs throttling appliance was throwing malware into official Apps from the Google Play Store, and end users with auto-updates, were getting malware shoved into their Android devices through official Google App updates.

(When checking for what Android versions were affected, we found it was able to successfully compromise the most secure and newest Android builds.)

Across the Internet there are still thousands upon thousands of embedded *nix devices that are outdated and potentially running all types of bots and malware, and these are routers/switches/etc that handle a lot of information. They are also being directly used for various entry probe hacking and DDoS attacks.

I hope people realize this is a 'thing' and don't just accept Linux or any OS as the best solution because it has become 'common'.

Right now, for security, Windows 10 Embedded is significantly more secure, because of how updates are handled and also due to NT's model that makes it harder for malware to hide itself compare to the *nix models that have process attachment mechanisms that can remain hidden.

This is also important to mention for IoT users/developers, as I find a lot of them don't realize that Windows 10 is an option available to them for free.

Good luck keeping Linux secure...

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 30 Sep 2017, 11:58

So...
To revitalize an old thread. How can we get a oem dongle emulator to work with r-net?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby elryko1992 » 30 Sep 2017, 18:03

Yes i'm interested to... :D
elryko1992

Postby gcebiker » 01 Oct 2017, 00:59

Cheaper to just buy the correct one.

...yes its expensive but still cheaper.

If program-ability is something you need/want
Just stop buying chairs with RNET controls on them - if you are looking at second hand gear.
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2017, 01:06

HOW/Why is it cheaper?

The verion of dynamics software we use uses an emulation for the dongle.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 01 Oct 2017, 10:14

Burgerman wrote:So...
To revitalize an old thread. How can we get a oem dongle emulator to work with r-net?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7077&start=20#p105408
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2017, 10:38

Yes but surely a dongle emulator and the latest software that we can get easily enough would be simpler?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby gcebiker » 01 Oct 2017, 11:47

Burgerman wrote:HOW/Why is it cheaper?

The verion of dynamics software we use uses an emulation for the dongle.

Some one paid to do that work or the tools to do it, or the education to have the skills to do it.

Even going the Pi route, by the time you hobble together the bits you need pay for freight and mistakes...
Invest in the time to learn how to assemble it all , an expensive exercise.

Its on the availability of the tools that is the real issue...and on that front...if buying a second hand chair get one where the tools you might want are accessible.

My R-Net OEM kit was about $1200 aud, sounds like a lot till you start adding up how much it costs if you bugger up a few Pi's and other stuff.

Not like my little Dynamic board that costs $20 for 10...someones done the software work.
Save yourself a headache and a lot of money, get a chair with a dynamic shark controller.
Or Qlogic or PGDT .
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2017, 11:51

I dont like Dynamic or Q-logic, given the choice. They dont drive as well. Too much latency. No matter what programming you use. Too limited in options too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Oct 2017, 15:12

Rnet isnt that bad - i like it - its easy to connect and theres options - even with a dealer dongle - with the OEM software - you can still make use of it that way - takes a extra step or two - but does the same in the end

Pilot plus is the easiest of all - but they are not being used any more from what i can see here - Surnise using Rnet - or VR2 - Invacare - another setup all together - have no intrest in invacare chairs either way - Pride - forget it -

permobile - Rnet - dont like there chairs either - what else is there - ?? we dont have much choice really - for me RWD is the only choice in chairs and that limits me even more - with Rnet - you can at least get a work around - its not the cheapest way - but it works and its important so worth it - only buy it once - hopefully
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby BulldozerDK » 11 Oct 2017, 21:20

woodygb wrote:Yes ... :)

You need the Industrial software for the SOLO.

I have to ask two questions;

First of, I've tried reading through hundreds of contributions on this site, some of it gives me some insight, but I cannot seem to find a conclusive answer to the two questions I am sitting with;

First of all, In order to make a communication cable for the Solo driver would I need to just take a regular USB-> Serial adapter, connect the 4 pins to each of the 4 pins on the controller or do I need to find the diode and and install it connecting the TX and RX cable to one pin on one of the controller?
Woudl I need to modify the USB->Serial connector in anyway? And how? - or would I just need to use a direct USB cable with no serial adapter in between? Connecting the same parts?

SEcond questions, everywhere is mentioned that for programming the Solo controller I would need the industrial software, but I can't find a single place explaining where to get this software? This might be obvious for some people, but apparently I am lost at this point :)

I am sure that both questions have been answered before in the forum, but I simply can't seem to find the conclusive answers to any of the two questions.

I sincerely hope that someone will be able to assist me creating the adapter and getting hold of the software. - Thanks in advance!
BulldozerDK

Postby woodygb » 12 Oct 2017, 15:27

solo - s-drive wiring programming cable bc.jpg

http://homepages.spa.umn.edu/~frahm/CustomCable2.pdf

You simply alter the connector in the above guide....note the guide wasn't made by me.

Careful with the colours in my pic as they do not match that of the recommended FTDI lead ...rather than a cheap Chinese Ebay purchase... which are Yellow RX, Orange TX ,Red + and Black-.

Software can sometimes pop up in private messages.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby BulldozerDK » 13 Oct 2017, 14:28

woodygb wrote:
solo - s-drive wiring programming cable bc.jpg

http://homepages.spa.umn.edu/~frahm/CustomCable2.pdf

You simply alter the connector in the above guide....note the guide wasn't made by me.

Careful with the colours in my pic as they do not match that of the recommended FTDI lead ...rather than a cheap Chinese Ebay purchase... which are Yellow RX, Orange TX ,Red + and Black-.

Software can sometimes pop up in private messages.

I appreciate it, but unfortunately this does not get me any further than what I already read multiple places. - I am sorry, I might be a bit slow, but I would appreciate a bit further assistance;

The guide that you link to seems a bit off, it is with an XLR plug as I only have the 4 pin no-name connector

I have a connector that will fit that plug, but based on the shown image and the linked guide I do not feel certain as to which pins to use from where;

Is it because I need the FTDIdevice(which seems to be parts from Arduino work)?

I've tried to attach a document containing pictures of my equipment, I hope that someone will be so kind to look through the pictures to see if it is even possible with said equipment? https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjoFHPKwGUx6hKR9ZF1dnnem2-RUlg

Also, does anyone have a assembly guide for a cable for the Solo drive only? one-to-one guide maybe even?
BulldozerDK

Postby woodygb » 13 Oct 2017, 15:36

I recommend an FTDI lead.... specifically the TTL-232R-3VR-WE .... other types of USB-TTL Cables MAY work ...but not always.
Your using a SERIAL Lead ..it WILL NOT WORK.

The guide does show an XLR being fitted.

Simply alter the connections to the different plugs .... THUS.

plugs PGDT.jpg

I use the MALE XLR Version ...then have the other 2 plug types on a FEMALE XLR and simply swap ends/plugs over depending on the controller.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 13 Oct 2017, 17:09

Updated pic to try and make it clearer.
plugs pgdt 2.jpg

Hopefully it's clear that the SAME LEAD CONFIGURATION is used on ALL the plugs... just wired to different numbers/places.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby BulldozerDK » 13 Oct 2017, 21:28

Thank you once again.

I am very sorry to be the slow guy in here.

I have now looked through local webpages to find a dealer in my country who can provide these specific models, with no luck.

So I placed a few orders from Ebay that should get me the devices.

I believe I understand the setup now, I just never saw any models with XLR or the molex connector. We have 95% PG Solo controllers in the models sold here, and the rest being Dynamic controllers and a few others.

I hope I'll manage to build it once my hardware arrives.

Thank you and I am sorry!
BulldozerDK

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair